British diving instructor found dead on Thailand’s Koh Tao under ‘mysterious’ circumstances

webfact

4 hours ago, robblok said:

How do we know he was fit and healthy ? Just because its said.. who knows. So much speculation. 

Exactly - that’s why (contrary to your claim) an autopsy is required ! So you think that because there’s no obvious sign of violence to an untrained eye there can be no foul play involved? How would administration of poison /drugs manifest itself in outward signs of violence? In an outwardly healthy 48 year old (fit enough to be a diving instructor) a death is an unexplained event requiring an autopsy.

Edited by nchuckle
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Whatever your family wants is not important. They only do this when its suspicious (just like in my country). But what is suspicious about someone dying in his sleep on a sofa under a blanket in his underewear. Unless clear signs of poisoning or violence there is no need.  

At least that is how it goes in my country.. but it s more what is the rule in Thailand. I doubt that every body gets an autopsy. 

Surely a doctor has to issue a death certificate, and they would have to be more explicit than 'natural causes' ... i.e. coronary, stroke, choked on pizza (happened to a 30 year old colleague of mine). The cause of death must surely be established by a doctor wherever you are. It's not up to paramedics and police to say '''nothing to see here ... keep moving ...'' - they simply aren't qualified to do that.

And a 48 year old diving instructor dying suddenly and unexpectedly like that under a blanket is in itself I think unusual and should be looked at more closely. Perhaps it is to do with his regular diving together with an unknown pre-existing condition ...  that is maybe important to the diving world. With all due respect to your background there are far too many questions unanswered here, and 'no suspicious circumstances' is far too glib and sloppy even for a civilian like me.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

British tabloids, i mean all the other deaths have nothing to do with this but are mentioned for the story. People die in their sleep its not strange thing. I don't expect an autopsy if i die in my sleep and there is no sign of violence.

This sounds a lot like a storm a teacup.  

Nothing to do with British tabloids! The fact that he was from Birmingham, and the story was reported in a Birmingham paper would indicate normal practise to most people, but not to you, apparently!

The other deaths have a lot to do with it - as per the article:-

"However, Neil is said to be the fifth instructor to die in the past few years on the island following a series of unexplained deaths and murders of backpackers and tourists, tainting its reputation".

When you have a series of unexplained deaths, of course another unexplained one is obviously going to be linked to the other ones! 

If investigating officers had this "nothing to do with the other unexplained deaths" attitude, I wonder how many serial killers would still be on the loose in other countries - the USA and the UK being obvious examples?

P.S. "How do we know he was fit and healthy ?"

I would think that the fact that he was a diving instructor would give you a clue on that one!  

Edited by sambum
  • Thumbs Up 1

In Thailand, an autopsy is always done if a foreigner dies. This should determine the cause of death and his medical records will show any pre-existing conditions.. 

RIP and best wishes to the man's family and friends.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Whatever your family wants is not important. They only do this when its suspicious (just like in my country). But what is suspicious about someone dying in his sleep on a sofa under a blanket in his underewear. Unless clear signs of poisoning or violence there is no need.  

At least that is how it goes in my country.. but it s more what is the rule in Thailand. I doubt that every body gets an autopsy. 

Are you Thai?

• Haha 2

Interesting from UK government website.

Post-mortems are normally required in Thailand following the death of a non-Thai national. Exceptions may apply if the death occurred in a hospital unless the cause of death is unknown, unnatural, sudden or violent. Post-mortems are carried out by forensic doctors. Cultural or religious sensitivities may not be taken into account. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office cannot stop or interfere with the process.

During a post-mortem, small tissue samples and organs may be removed and retained for testing without the consent of the next of kin. You will not automatically be told if this happens.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, im heavy into fitness. though a bit less now because of an injury. But seriously without yearly in dept health checks you dont know anything. I might look healthy but i could have some underlying problems. Its not uncommon for people to have undiscovered health problems.

You could be 100% correct but you can not deny the island is very unlucky place for farangs with very little real scrutiny of " unfortunate circumstances surrounding many deaths" so just to satisfy the many disbelievers and to prove you right every death on that island can have autopsy if family so wish that would sound reasonable to me

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Is there such a thing as an inquest here? I think a coroners  inquest is obligatory in my country in such circumstances.

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If Thailand wants to encourage tourists I am pretty sure this is not the way to go about it.

You're so right. Foreigners should be guaranteed immortality for the duration of their stay in Thailand. Should pack 'em in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

mafia,  unexplained deaths,  zero investigations or cover ups,  Koh Tao is Death Island that's for sure.

As soon as I read this I thought about how thai's don't like farang treading on their toe's or taking business from them.  :whistling:      A healthy 47yr old doesn't die of natural causes.  TIT where anything bad can happen to anyone.

How do you know he was healthy? He could have had heart disease or anything else. Heart attacks are common near 50

• Like 2