Pink Line Monorail to See 2023 Launch

snoop1130

658e290c216899a2f7c7901d2e4601bd_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Bangkok’s Pink Line monorail is expected to be up and running this year, with the project’s construction nearing completion at 95%.

The 53.5-billion-baht public transit project, which has been in development since 2016, will link Khae Rai in Nonthaburi with Min Buri in east Bangkok, with the aim of relieving chronic traffic congestion in northern Bangkok.

The 34.5-kilometer-long monorail line will have 30 stops along the way, starting at Nonthaburi Civic Center Station and linking to the MRT Purple Line, then ending at Min Buri Station, which will connect to the Orange Line currently under construction.

At Min Buri station, passengers will be able to transfer to the Impact Link branch line, which is expected to open in 2025. The branch line will have three stations and will ultimately be connected to the SRT’s Red Line services, the BTS Green Line, and the MRT Grey and Brown lines.

Construction of the branch line is about 10.5% complete, with 13.45% of the civil construction work already done and 4.5% of the train signaling systems installed.

The government hopes that the new rail lines will serve as an inexpensive, convenient and eco-friendly alternative for the city’s commuters, as well as help relieve traffic congestion.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230124112643936

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

"The government hopes ... an inexpensive"

There is a saying that 'hope' isn't a plan.

Case in point:

"Tackling BTS fare at root cause"

April 18, 2021

"the crux of the problem is the government's lack of long-term and integrated planning to streamline the fares for all routes in the electric mass transit system.

https://tdri.or.th/en/2021/04/tackling-bts-fares-at-root-cause/

I believe this "lack" is driven by a national government that rushes to deliver popular mass transit systems without regard to the fare contracts it signs, then when the operators raise fares in accordance to the contracts, the government refuses because higher fares increases economic inequality of income. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, matchar said:

I feel déjà vu like I've posted this before....was there a similar article last year?

Indeed.  April 24th last year it was reported that "Test runs for the Pink and Yellow Lines will get underway in September before they enter commercial operation in December".

I rather suspect that that December was supposed to be December 5th to honour the late King.  I'd posit December 5th this year is the new target date.