Millions forced to skip meals as UK cost of living crisis deepens

Scott

6 hours ago, Credo said:

For many people, they are located far from a green grocer or a decent grocery store.  Local convenience stores tend to sell highly refined food, high in salt, sugar and fat and now in nutrition.  

You'll find most people who complain are from so called deprived areas. Mostly inner city. Lots of shopping opportunities nearby.

Just now, Slip said:

Amazing isn't it?  Apparently all we need to do is ban tattoos, energy drinks, junk food, cigarettes, alcohol and play-stations (for the poor and lazy only of course) and those sunny uplands will be firmly just without our grasp at last.

Poor people have always been hungry.

That's the way the world works.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Guessing that many of the posters on this forum have worked hard for their retirement, have sometimes (often) been fleeced by a divorce settlement in their home country, and yet have still managed to provide for a "comfortable" later life. It should not be a surprise that they have little sympathy for those who appear incapable of financial self-management.

We are sometimes called survivalists.  And yes, I have empathy for them and feel sorry for the children, but such is life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Government credits customers account with a certain amount on money and thus customers do not have to pay any money and so its free 

You're slightly off the mark. Our subsidy is £1 less than our direct debit. Thus, we pay around £1 a month for energy. ????????????????

Edited by puchooay

49 minutes ago, NextG said:

A “comfortable” late life in another country much cheaper than their own ????

Posting bitterly on a forum because they “worked hard” and have been “fleeced” is to what the poor and downtrodden should aspire?

I don't know where the 'bitterly' came from.

Most of us are entirely happy living here with our younger wives and pensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many of the people skipping meals to survive were mortgage holders?

40% of all residential mortgages in Australia are about to reset from 2% pandemic rates to 6-7%.

There will be lots of mortgage holder in Australia skipping meals shortly also.

1 hour ago, bangon04 said:

Guessing that many of the posters on this forum have worked hard for their retirement, have sometimes (often) been fleeced by a divorce settlement in their home country, and yet have still managed to provide for a "comfortable" later life. It should not be a surprise that they have little sympathy for those who appear incapable of financial self-management.

People are in crisis because of the current economic situation and those here are lecturing families who are struggling, while making anecdotal claims about lifestyle choices that are stereotypical garbage.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nope.

People are in crisis because of the current economic situation and those here are lecturing families who are struggling, while making claims about lifestyle choices that are stereotypical garbage.

OK. So, please explain why those on much higher salaries than myself and my wife are apparently struggling, if it is not because of lifestyle choices?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

People are in crisis because of the current economic situation and those here are lecturing families who are struggling, while making anecdotal claims about lifestyle choices that are stereotypical garbage.

My lifestyle choice was to move somewhere where I could live on my income.

Another lifestyle choice I could have made was to work until I dropped.

If I were a woman, I could have chosen to live with (or share living costs) with a man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

When was the last time you were in the UK? (The subject nation of this thread).

Still in contact with my rellies, older couple, live in social housing, live mainly on benefits.

Eat a lot of junk food (both huge), drink a lot of alcohol and smoke.

I'd say TBL is bang on.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It hasn’t dawned on you, prices in the UK are significantly higher than the UK?

The fact you paid in ฿ is clue you missed.

Looking at ALDI UK prices, almost the same for the ingredients in Thailand and the UK. Chicken breasts 2.99gbp for 400gm Vs 60bht for 250gm, potatoes slightly more expensive in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It hasn’t dawned on you, prices in the UK are significantly higher than the UK?

The fact you paid in ฿ is clue you missed.

I paid £2 for 800g of chicken. About 80 baht. How much is it currently in Thailand?

9 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I paid £2 for 800g of chicken. About 80 baht. How much is it currently in Thailand?

60bht for 250gm in Lotus's for chicken breasts.

Your UK chicken was way cheaper than Thailand chicken.

Edited by BritManToo