Tyre Nichols: Five Memphis police officers charged over death

Scott

From left: Demetrius Haley, Desmond Mills, Jr., Emmitt Martin III, Justin Smith and Tadarrius Bean

Five ex-police officers have been charged with second-degree murder after a man died following a traffic stop in Memphis, Tennessee.

Tyre Nichols, 29, died three days after his arrest on 7 January for alleged reckless driving.

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64420124

BBC.jpg

2 hours ago, Scott said:

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

Well I guess those that accuse the BBC of having a narrative and burying stories when they show the race involved will have to re think their rants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tug said:

You must be disappointed 

Why, it happened in Atlanta just recently, with a police car burned.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/23/spoiled-children-of-privilege-trying-to-burn-atlanta-down/

What's not to love, they'll destroy the black neighborhoods and go back to the upper scale priviledged white homes.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

and any minute an army of white vigilantes will go on a spree burning black neighbourhoods because...

See how these trashy incisive posts work?

Exactly......why? But they'll be there....

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm sure Antifa is already on their way for some "peaceful" protests.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why, it happened in Atlanta just recently, with a police car burned.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/23/spoiled-children-of-privilege-trying-to-burn-atlanta-down/

What's not to love, they'll destroy the black neighborhoods and go back to the upper scale priviledged white homes.

Is this supposed to be your link to Antifa?

There is no evidence provided that they were there. the New York Post report makes an unsubstantiated claim here:

Hundreds of far-left activists, including Antifa, had gathered on Saturday evening at the Five Points neighborhood in downtown Atlanta to protest the death of their comrade who died in a shootout with police earlier in the week at an occupation south of the city.

The sub link it directs to goes to their other article here where this was suppose to confirm their claim but again absolutely no mention of Antifa:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/19/atlanta-activists-call-for-rage-after-man-killed-cop-injured/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Deny, deny

Six Antifa Extremists Arrested, Charged with Domestic Terrorism in Fiery Atlanta Riots

https://news.yahoo.com/six-antifa-extremists-arrested-charged-151301053.html

Deny what? Unfounded claims. Provide some evidence and I'll be more than happy to agree that Antifa was involved. At the moment we have militant extremists who need to be punished but does that mean all left wing militants are now labelled as Antifa?

Your latest article again provides nothing but a headline and tweet from someone who was banned for 2 years and just allowed back on twitter:

image.png.f2bd966d015bf44567856067db5c1666.png

• Like 2

Didn't officials get in first? Seems they are doing the right thing no?

Officials in Memphis have braced for potential civil unrest and have called for peaceful protests ahead of video of the fatal police encounter that’s expected to be publicly released Friday. The local school district also canceled all after-school activities Friday in the “interest of public safety.”

Police departments across the country – including in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Nashville and New York – told CNN they were either monitoring events or already had plans in place in case of protests.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/26/us/tyre-nichols-memphis-thursday/index.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

<snip>

Is the reason you haven't provided a source for your claim because you know you are misrepresenting him?  He said any protests should be peaceful, not that people should protest.

President Biden released a statement on Thursday appealing for calm as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening, local time.

"I join Tyre's family in calling for peaceful protest," he said. "Outrage is understandable, but violence is never acceptable."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64421704

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the OP bbc article

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time.

Seems to me its not ok for the leader of the USA to call for demonstrations .

The hypocrisy is outrageous!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64420124

Edited by riclag

14 minutes ago, Slip said:

There is no bbc article in the op.  I have already debunked your nonsense about him calling for demonstrations.

A protest (also called a demonstration, remonstration or remonstrance) is a public expression of objection, disapproval or dissent towards an idea or action, typically a political one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protest

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It seems clear that he's saying that protests should be peaceful, not that there should be protests. There's a wilful inability to comprehend meaning but the Biden haters. It's as if they never studied comprehension as part of English lessons in school.

In fact it beggars the imagination that any president should call for protests at all. Oh, wait...

Unbelievable, next those Biden haters will be saying that the protests are an insurrection , you know what they are like 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It seems clear that he's saying that protests should be peaceful, not that there should be protests. There's a wilful inability to comprehend meaning but the Biden haters. It's as if they never studied comprehension as part of English lessons in school.

In fact it beggars the imagination that any president should call for protests at all. Oh, wait...

It seems clear what was reported in the source article,

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time.

imop

1 minute ago, riclag said:

It seems clear what was reported in the source article,

imop

Torture the English language as much as you want, it doesn't make sense that Biden would be calling for protests. Nor is this a protest about race so I don't get the antifa references. It's about police brutality.

• Like 1

Mr Sharpton is accusing the Police officers of being racists , saying they wouldn't have done what they did had the person been White 

Mr Sharpton also said he believes the outcome would have been different if the alleged victim in the incident was white.

"I do not believe these five black police officers would have done this had he been a young white man," he said.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Mr Sharpton is accusing the Police officers of being racists , saying they wouldn't have done what they did had the person been White 

Mr Sharpton also said he believes the outcome would have been different if the alleged victim in the incident was white.

"I do not believe these five black police officers would have done this had he been a young white man," he said.

Mr Sharpton is not the protesters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Torture the English language as much as you want, it doesn't make sense that Biden would be calling for protests. Nor is this a protest about race so I don't get the antifa references. It's about police brutality.

I made No references to antifa and

the article speaks for itself  

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time

Just now, riclag said:

I made No references to antifa and

the article speaks for itself  

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time

You can't concede that it was a plea for peaceful as opposed to violent protests? The protests themselves were inevitable, regardless of what Biden said. Can you concede that much?