Ruskies and Manners.

Tish 2

On 1/30/2023 at 6:21 AM, jacko45k said:

I was doing pre-boarding on an Air Asia flight (paid some extra to board first and get seats at the front)... and there were oranges on my allocated seats. A Chinese lady was using them to 'reserve' seats for her group. I of course sat there and made her argue to get her orange back! Don't remind me of my tantrum once when Russian ladies tried to jump in front of me at the check-out in Tesco/Lotus!

You sound like a real fighter.     :drunk:

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I'm not English so my first language is not English, I'm not sure what you ment, or what you trying to explain? 

What is mean by queuing?

I'm not English so my first language is not English, I'm not sure what you ment, or what you trying to explain? 

What is mean by queuing?

Not a Queue - A condition or place of great disorder or confusion.

Queue  - To get in line.

Not all cultures or even people within cultures think queuing is necessary!

Crowd.jpg

Queue.jpg

Edited by Negita43
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BigStar said:

They don't owe you anything, petal.

I've found them mannerly enough, even pleasant at times, as when a young Russian mother in front of me at the cashier's in Lotus Express had a hard time understanding what further coins she needed to produce--and didn't have them anyway. I immediately handed the cashier a couple of baht for her, and she gave me a very gracious smile. 'Twas a nice exchange; too bad she didn't know I'm American, but perhaps she thought I might be.

I've encountered bad manners among other prominent nationalities, but that would be off-topic.

American hey?Who would have thought it?

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It actually makes you realise how civilised Thailand is compared to many other countries... 

At the badly labelled 'International Airport' of U-tapao- the ground staff carefully had the passengers queue in two separate lines in numerical order then everyone boarded the bus to the plane and got mixed up.

I know a few Russians. Just normal people. friendly and polite.

But. I have a friend who was married to a Russian (that didn't last long) and even spent some time there.

He told me that too much politeness, please and thank you is seen as a sign of weakness and they will treat you accordingly. How true that is, I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I especially love those who walk side by side (and this is in every country and culture) who won't queue when encountering people coming in the opposite direction. I am a healthy 6 foot 110kg man and when this happens I don't budge. I love it when people walk into me. It is like hitting a wall especially when I have momentum. Thing is... they can't get angry cos I did nothing wrong. This post reminds me of the video 'Bitter sweet Symphony" by the verve.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:03 PM, Leaver said:
On 1/29/2023 at 10:00 PM, Seppius said:

On thing living on and off in Thailand for 30 odd years has taught me, Patience

Ahh, yes, patience, otherwise known to Thai's as, shut up farang, and obey, or leave.

Well, well, well, here's three members who think it is all about me, me, me.

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I especially love those who walk side by side (and this is in every country and culture) who won't queue when encountering people coming in the opposite direction. I am a healthy 6 foot 110kg man and when this happens I don't budge. I love it when people walk into me. It is like hitting a wall especially when I have momentum. Thing is... they can't get angry cos I did nothing wrong. This post reminds me of the video 'Bitter sweet Symphony" by the verve.

Good tune.

My petty whine is about the new age traveler with their wheelie carry-on suitcase that are no longer towed behind but held at arms-length to the side and ever so slightly ahead as they sweep, double-wide, through crowded airport lobbies.

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

I know a few Russians. Just normal people. friendly and polite.

But. I have a friend who was married to a Russian (that didn't last long) and even spent some time there.

He told me that too much politeness, please and thank you is seen as a sign of weakness and they will treat you accordingly. How true that is, I don't know.

Your friend is absolutely correct. If you are perceived weak, you will be treated accordingly in their culture. 

In general, when you know people they behave more or less differently vs if you don't know them / they don't know you. The real test for manners and civilization of humans is how you interact and treat people you don't know and are not dependent on. Traffic behavior is a good test, as is walking in jomtien sidewalk. 

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I especially love those who walk side by side (and this is in every country and culture) who won't queue when encountering people coming in the opposite direction. I am a healthy 6 foot 110kg man and when this happens I don't budge. I love it when people walk into me. It is like hitting a wall especially when I have momentum. 

How very asinine of you.

While the folk you encounter are acting without malice, you are seeking conflict and looking to make others uncomfortable using your size. 

give me distracted russian over someone like you any old day.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

One think Russians never do (and I'm thankful of it) what Americans do;

NO loud : "GOOD MORNING!!!!" to every white person they meet early in the morning on Jomtien & Dongtan.

They yell so loud coconuts and rats are falling down from palm trees...

Me? Never answer. That would bring more unwanted attention.

I know what ou mean, I live in Jomtien and everywhere I go, morning, noon, and night I get these super loud and bombastic greetings. AAARGGHH!

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Partly right????

100% right.... 

I lived in China for a little over 2 years and traveled there for business on numerous occasions over a 10 year period.

My most fondest memory was during a trip from Thailand to China I was at the Hong Kong airport queuing to catch a ferry to mainland China. Crazy me, it was just after the end of the Chinese New Year and things were jam packed more than I ever experienced it before. 

At the ferry terminal the Chinese folks were practically trying to duplicate The Who stampede disaster of 1979. All of a sudden a Chinese woman in her mid 30s or so started yelling at the top of her lungs. It definitely got everyone's attention and things quickly quieted and settled down.

Since my Mandarin was not so great I asked one of those near me that spoke English what did the woman say. Needless to say, she basically yelled to the folks that if people didn't stop pushing her and her children someone would soon be feeling her wrath.

54 minutes ago, n00dle said:

How very asinine of you.

While the folk you encounter are acting without malice, you are seeking conflict and looking to make others uncomfortable using your size. 

give me distracted russian over someone like you any old day.

If you can't handle a variety of how people deal with problems then maybe you should not start OP's. Frankly I think you need a skirt rather than trousers. I won't get out of the way for people who hog the sidewalk because they are self-important. I would do the same thing even if I were 3 foot 6. Lay off the keyboard maybe you will find some inner peace.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

If you can't handle a variety of how people deal with problems then maybe you should not start OP's. Frankly I think you need a skirt rather than trousers. I won't get out of the way for people who hog the sidewalk because they are self-important. I would do the same thing even if I were 3 foot 6. Lay off the keyboard maybe you will find some inner peace.

listen you. Did I really "start on op" or are you struggling with your letters?

Who is the self important one here? 

As for my choice of clothes -- skirt or trousers -- I reckon that is irrelavent as you have already donned a cape and tights to make the sidewalks safe.  

Tell me more about inner peace, don quixote. You seem to be a well adjusted individual.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Russkie is not a slur!

Any old orc would know that already.

Not yet it isn't. Just like it took the best part of a century for our familiar old epithets and nicknames to become unpolitically correct, who knows when the poor, disenfranchised, itinerant Russkie(y) exiles and emigres will need to be re-labeled because someone, probably non-Slavic, is upset on their behalf.

• Like 1

As a daily walker I have had people coming directly towards me on a sidewalk looking at their phone or talking to each other... often walking two abreast taking the entire sidewalk and completely oblivious to what is around or right in front of them.  I have come to a complete stop and had to yell HEY otherwise they would have walked right into me.......and that is in USA.  Walking for me is suppose to be relaxing and I have no desire to get into some macho BS as to who can walk over the other person.

Tons of oblivious people wandering around the world.  I am often amazed that more of them don't get hit by cars / buses.  That is a good reason when possible to walk out in the country where few people are around....but of course that is not so easy to do sometimes.  

• Like 1

" I am a healthy 6 foot 110kg man and when this happens I don't budge. I love it when people walk into me. It is like hitting a wall especially when I have momentum."

Maybe body wise but the mindset?

If you do that in the States you'll come out like Swiss cheese. Rather sooner than later.

And the sheriff, after hearing witnesses, will ask shooter;

"How many did you plant on him?:

"Only seven"

"That's all? Oh, well. Let me put down '15' so you get more compensation"

On 1/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It actually makes you realise how civilised Thailand is compared to many other countries... 

Getting up before the plane has stopped and clambering for luggage seems to be a national sport in some countries !!!....   As is crowding the luggage carousel as close as possible...  The collective mentality is often baffling !... 

Yeah, I've never understood the bonkers obsession of standing in the aisle soon as seat belt sign goes off ( or even before while plane still moving ) and waiting 10 or 15 minutes before getting off. I always waited till the sheeple had flocked off the plane and strolled unimpeded to immigration.

It's like they thought all the taxis would have left if they weren't first to the kerbside.

• Like 1