Ruskies and Manners.

Tish 2

14 minutes ago, Tish 2 said:

Is it just a cultural thing?

There you go... 

In the same manner you may get over the top gushing reacting from others in other cultures, whereas with some cultures we find the interaction a little more surly...    

There are characteristics of the nations of some countries that I find objectionable... its just cultural and they ‘way people are’.

As you mentioned, a nod of recognition would be enough for you, others would find anything less than a verbal thanks impolite. 

The same can be argued of Thai’s going through a door you’ve held open for them. 

Every culture and nation has its differences where ‘culture’ is used to explain or write off something we don’t find so polite. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's easy. The other person has to walk around me.

small-guys-vs.-big-guys.jpg

That photo depicts an opportunity to go through, rather than around.

One must use everything at their disposal to their advantage, including lack of size. Something that many members tell bar girls here.   :smile:

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Travelling from CM airport to China (I was the only non-Chinese on the flight), the Air hostess said "rows 1-10 please" and they all charged the gate, I stood aside, the 4 air hostess at the gate just ran away and let them fight it out. It was actually very funny if you weren't standing in front of them.

I was doing pre-boarding on an Air Asia flight (paid some extra to board first and get seats at the front)... and there were oranges on my allocated seats. A Chinese lady was using them to 'reserve' seats for her group. I of course sat there and made her argue to get her orange back! Don't remind me of my tantrum once when Russian ladies tried to jump in front of me at the check-out in Tesco/Lotus!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was doing pre-boarding on an Air Asia flight (paid some extra to board first and get seats at the front)... and there were oranges on my allocated seats. A Chinese lady was using them to 'reserve' seats for her group. I of course sat there and made her argue to get her orange back! Don't remind me of my tantrum once when Russian ladies tried to jump in front of me at the check-out in Tesco/Lotus!

An orange is a nice guest from a cheap airline I would have thought ????

On 1/29/2023 at 6:02 AM, richard_smith237 said:

There you go... 

In the same manner you may get over the top gushing reacting from others in other cultures, whereas with some cultures we find the interaction a little more surly...    

There are characteristics of the nations of some countries that I find objectionable... its just cultural and they ‘way people are’.

As you mentioned, a nod of recognition would be enough for you, others would find anything less than a verbal thanks impolite. 

The same can be argued of Thai’s going through a door you’ve held open for them. 

Every culture and nation has its differences where ‘culture’ is used to explain or write off something we don’t find so polite. 

Culture expert ????????

I don't think the Russians are particularly rude, it's definitely part of their culture to stay stoic, strong, resilient. It's just a reminder to me that so many countries around the world don't have it easy. I see the Russia ranks 74th in happiness around the world, that's pretty bad. 

28 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Haaaaa yes!!! just the other day at Asiatic in BKK waiting for boat back to BTS, once they dropped the rope for boarding i was pushed 1 meter sideways by a horde of low class Chinese, once got my balance back i hip and shouldered the horde back, screams of protests followed...then they settled down and quietly moved forward quickly slipping around me like wet snakes...mind you the boat ended up being half empty.... i lost my desire to tour China about 16 ys ago after a week in HK. 

China is another world. I spent most of my Time in Shanghai at my 5 star hotel. We where hired several years for an event at their National day in beginning of october. Once only I tried hit the street and the subway, never again. Anyway the hotel was a whole little world by itself, so did not miss to much really. Country side in the mountains much better, but still quite unusual to sit at a local outdoor restaurant and 100 people look at you eating. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2023 at 1:55 PM, BritManToo said:

Travelling from CM airport to China (I was the only non-Chinese on the flight), the Air hostess said "rows 1-10 please" and they all charged the gate, I stood aside, the 4 air hostess at the gate just ran away and let them fight it out. It was actually very funny if you weren't standing in front of them.

I was working in china for over 10yrs, traveling frequently both domestic and international due to work...concept of queueing had not reached China by those days, also not in traffic behaviour. Was not fun...

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:45 PM, BritManToo said:

Stop and stand your ground usually works.

They won't walk into you.

You just have to play with their rules, otherwise you will for sure loose. Stand your ground, fight fire with fire. It is very deep in their culture; no manners, selfish, arrogant people for the most part, with some exceptions of course. 

If you try to be polite, it basically mean total submission for them.

Just look what is happening in Ukraine as one example of the culture.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Two mutually exclusive words - although the concept of queuing is not an internationally accepted protocol!

I'm not English so my first language is not English, I'm not sure what you ment, or what you trying to explain? 

What is mean by queuing?
to wait in a line of people, often to buy something: Dozens of people were queueing up to get tickets. We had to queue for three hours to get in.6 days ago
https://dictionary.cambridge.org › q...
QUEUEING | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary