Tom Brady announces retirement: ‘I’m retiring for good’

Scott

Legendary quarterback Tom Brady has announced his retirement after 23 seasons in the NFL.

“I’ll get to the point right away,” Brady, 45, said in a video posted to Twitter Wednesday. “I’m retiring for good. I know the process was a pretty big deal last time, so when I woke up this morning, I figured I’d just press record and let you guys know first.

“It won’t be long-winded. You only get one super-emotional retirement essay, and I used mine up last year.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/sport/tom-brady-announces-retirement-spt-intl/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

23 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Now if they would only retire the girly game of football in the USA called soccer.  ????

Soccer is much more fun to watch than American football.  

Best of luck to Mr. Brady.  This is his 2nd retirement.  I suspect he came out of retirement to make up for his big losses in cryptocurrency.  

As someone who grew up in the US, I was born and raised on the American version and played it at the college level in a Division I institution as well..  but i’ve also spent probably 80% of my post-university life working/living overseas where the European version of football is played and is wildly popular. 

My take is that while both the US and Euro versions are both good games, I think as far as continuous action goes, the Euro version is better — that is unlike the US version where each “down” is rather short followed by a period of time to line up for the next down, the Euro game tends to be much more active for a sustained period of time.. that to me, makes the Euro version a bit better from the spectators viewpoint,

I do prefer the US version as far as the players go, because comparatively, the US version has bit more specialty (ie punter, KO, etc) and strategy to it (ie “do you punt or go-for-it on 4th down” etc)

So, to me, they’re so different that i can’t really say one is better, each one, to me, has its own unique strengths from a spectator viewpoint.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, new2here said:

As someone who grew up in the US, I was born and raised on the American version and played it at the college level in a Division I institution as well..  but i’ve also spent probably 80% of my post-university life working/living overseas where the European version of football is played and is wildly popular. 

My take is that while both the US and Euro versions are both good games, I think as far as continuous action goes, the Euro version is better — that is unlike the US version where each “down” is rather short followed by a period of time to line up for the next down, the Euro game tends to be much more active for a sustained period of time.. that to me, makes the Euro version a bit better from the spectators viewpoint,

I do prefer the US version as far as the players go, because comparatively, the US version has bit more specialty (ie punter, KO, etc) and strategy to it (ie “do you punt or go-for-it on 4th down” etc)

So, to me, they’re so different that i can’t really say one is better, each one, to me, has its own unique strengths from a spectator viewpoint.

Wow!  That's a good analysis of the two games.  At the end of the day, it's a matter of what you enjoy and what entertains you.  I find American football a little too complicated and a little too slow for my watching enjoyment.  I like more motion and action.  I am not a big fan of sports, but I can watch soccer, hockey and basketball.  

I've come to like/respect Brady ever since he joined the Bucs.  Wasn't a big fan when he was with the Pats.  Anyways, I do believe that he means it this time, with respect to retiring.  But I do recall him making a similar announcement last year, only to return.  I'll bet if someone (like the Raiders) were to do a Vito Corleone and make him an offer he couldn't refuse, he might just change his mind.  Would have liked to see him in silver and black....even though I'm not a Raiders fan. 

3 hours ago, Credo said:

Wow!  That's a good analysis of the two games.  At the end of the day, it's a matter of what you enjoy and what entertains you.  I find American football a little too complicated and a little too slow for my watching enjoyment.  I like more motion and action.  I am not a big fan of sports, but I can watch soccer, hockey and basketball.  

True, but it is more fun to <deleted>-talk each other and throw snide comments!    

From what I heard, the most difficult part of playing soccer is deciding who has to hold all the players' purses.   Plus any sport in with a 0-0 tie is both a/ exciting and b/ considered a valid result, deserves nothing but scorn.

• Like 1

Just now, Berkshire said:

I've come to like/respect Brady ever since he joined the Bucs.  Wasn't a big fan when he was with the Pats.  Anyways, I do believe that he means it this time, with respect to retiring.  But I do recall him making a similar announcement last year, only to return.  I'll bet if someone (like the Raiders) were to do a Vito Corleone and make him an offer he couldn't refuse, he might just change his mind.  Would have liked to see him in silver and black....even though I'm not a Raiders fan. 

Heard a rumor that he may be headed to the 49ers...  They have a rock solid defence and a good ground attack, just need a field general to get over the hump.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Heard a rumor that he may be headed to the 49ers...  They have a rock solid defence and a good ground attack, just need a field general to get over the hump.  

I'm actually a Niner fan and would prefer that they stay out of this.  They've got a couple of young studs already (Lance and Purdy), not to mention Jimmy G....who's probably on his way out.  Brady's got MAYBE one good year left...and that's with a team that has everything else already in place.

55 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Who and what is Tom Brady?

He’s the GOAT in America’s NATIONAL Football League!

He’s the Pele, the Messie , the Maradona . He has quarterbacked 7 Super Bowl wins in his career ! 

Amazing talent 

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

True, but it is more fun to <deleted>-talk each other and throw snide comments!    

From what I heard, the most difficult part of playing soccer is deciding who has to hold all the players' purses.   Plus any sport in with a 0-0 tie is both a/ exciting and b/ considered a valid result, deserves nothing but scorn.

I heard that the world is flat. The same bloke also told me American football was entertaining.

A game called 'football' where no more than 1 player in the team uses his feet, where it appears +/-90% of the players never touch the ball other than by accident, and where an hour's play is spread out over 4+ hours.????

Do spectators have to undergo a mental health examination to confirm that they are certifiably insane before attending these events?????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RayC said:

A game called 'football' where no more than 1 player in the team uses his feet.....

It appears that you obviously don't know the game so well....

IMO 3-4 hrs of good entertainment is much better than 90 minutes of crying for a yellow card with the game ending 0-0........  

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

IMO 3-4 hrs of good entertainment is much better than 90 minutes of crying for a yellow card with the game ending 0-0........  

Thank you for supporting my hypothesis that fans of American football are certifiably insane????????

Edited by RayC
Rephrasing

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

3-4 hours of good entertainment !!!!!!!

The ball is in play for about 11 minutes per game and 75 minutes of the game is the players standing around loitering 

An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.

"The 11 minutes of action was famously calculated a few years ago by the Wall Street Journal. Its analysis found that an average NFL broadcast spent more time on replays (17 minutes) than live play. The plurality of time (75 minutes) was spent watching players, coaches, and referees essentially loiter on the field.

https://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

3-4 hours of good entertainment !!!!!!!

The ball is in play for about 11 minutes per game and 75 minutes of the game is the players standing around loitering 

An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.

"The 11 minutes of action was famously calculated a few years ago by the Wall Street Journal. Its analysis found that an average NFL broadcast spent more time on replays (17 minutes) than live play. The plurality of time (75 minutes) was spent watching players, coaches, and referees essentially loiter on the field.

https://qz.com/150577/an-average-nfl-game-more-than-100-commercials-and-just-11-minutes-of-play

I was talking about entertainment, not how many minutes of actual play there is. duhhhhhh

You do know that the biggest entertainment part of the Super Bowl game is the halftime show, don't you? Then probably followed by all the crazy TV commercials.

6 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I was talking about entertainment, not how many minutes of actual play there is. duhhhhhh

You do know that the biggest entertainment part of the Super Bowl game is the halftime show, don't you? Then probably followed by all the crazy TV commercials.

Half time entertainment ?

In the U.K we had choirs singing songs about murdering their unfaithful wife  , that was great fun .

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Half time entertainment ?

In the U.K we had choirs singing songs about murdering their unfaithful wife  , that was great fun .

That was probably just a warm up for the beatdown the hooligans were giving out after the game.