Aboiut those beaches...............

USEpat

I recently read an older post on a travel site where the poster compared the Pattaya Beach to Jomtien.  Neither fared well.  Not much seems to have changed. Having been fortunate to see a lot of top ocean beaches from the States to the Caribbean, to Hawaii, Vietnam, Phi Phi, Kho Phayam, Koh Larn, Koh Phai and Abu Dhabi, I know a good ocean beach when I see one.  One wonders if the local authorities have ever actually ever been to the really best beaches/seaside resort towns among which high rollers can choose.

Course sand, opaque water and occasional reports of turds floating around aren't helping our "seaside resort" that publicly touts it's beaches as a major attraction, while in private many people think it must be the loose women.

Does anyone regularly report on the chemistry of the ocean water of the Pattaya or Jomtien beaches?  Say from 40 or fifty meters off shore?  "Face" being what it is, one wonders if publishing the bacteria counts once a week might be illuminating if not motivating.  I know publicly publishing the daily chlorine and PH levels of hotel swimming pools keeps everyone attentive.  There must be independent engineering firms who do this sort of stuff.  Maybe "Asean Now" could publish the data.

17 minutes ago, USEpat said:

Course sand, opaque water and occasional reports of turds floating around aren't helping our "seaside resort" that publicly touts it's beaches as a major attraction, while in private many people think it must be the loose women.

You didn't mention sand flies, most Thai beaches are covered in the nasty bitey creatures.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

There's nothing wrong as long as you don't go to water.

Water IS filthy. I asked local fisherman and he said "We don't fish within 5km."

But Dongtan and Jomtien beaches are nice to look now. Nicer walk ways too. They also eliminated raw sewage smell on Jomtien by sealing sewage channels under side walk. I hope they do same on Dongtan too.

Where else you get this for $ 30/night?