Best place to buy replacement car battery in Chiang Mai

scorecard

For Honda Civic (early model), current battery is approaching 8 years old and the water in the battery is topped up regularly.

Battery is often dead.

Not looking for further discussion, just some suggestions please where to buy / get installed an OK quality reasonable price replacement battery, in CM.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

There are many places that do good take care.. B-Quik, cockpit.. etc.. I would suggest one that is most convenient for you... 

Would PTT in the back of the service centre (7/11 in front) where vehicles turn left off the superhighway to go into Big C Don Chan be a good option?

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Would PTT in the back of the service centre (7/11 in front) where vehicles turn left off the superhighway to go into Big C Don Chan be a good option?

I didn't know that PTT sold batteries... I tend to only get 2-3 years out of a battery - if you are going on 8 years and it is often dead, I would have replaced it a long time ago... 

55 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Any little shop with a wall of FB or GS batteries outside will do the job in 10 minutes. Or go to Honda and spend a few hundred baht more.

Thanks.

Son's buddy says about 1,800Baht for OK quality battery. Is that a reasonable price?

A different question, are fully sealed batteries/cannot top up the water popular and worthwhile, or a past novelty?

Forget the Main Dealer - expensive as said! Shop around at a few places convenient to you. The little shops are usually great - they'll get what you want and will come to your house to fit it if you are close by. It's a good idea to get a higher amp/hour rating than specified.

Last year I paid B2,800 - B500 for an 80 amp/hour '3K' battery for my Vigo, (bigger than the one you need) and they gave me B500 for the old battery, unasked ! (the lead is stripped out and reused).

B1800-B2200 probably.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Forget the Main Dealer - expensive as said! Shop around at a few places convenient to you. The little shops are usually great - they'll get what you want and will come to your house to fit it if you are close by. It's a good idea to get a higher amp/hour rating than specified.

Last year I paid B2,800 - B500 for an 80 amp/hour '3K' battery for my Vigo, (bigger than the one you need) and they gave me B500 for the old battery, unasked ! (the lead is stripped out and reused).

B1800-B2200 probably.

Thanks, very helpful.

8 years out of a battery here is amazing, even if your type of battery  usage was ideal.

Battery replacement in LOS is a biggish business, your area will have battery outlets, you can even use the Net to get a battery fitted at home. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chiang+Mai+car+battery+replacement&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH1036TH1036&oq=Chiang+Mai+car+battery+replacement&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2.22297j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

Son's buddy says about 1,800Baht for OK quality battery. Is that a reasonable price?

A different question, are fully sealed batteries/cannot top up the water popular and worthwhile, or a past novelty?

That sounds reasonable. To add to TorquayFan's answer, my current 35-40a battery was 1,500 baht from a high street shop, and from Honda I think is 2,000+, but they give a 2-300 baht refund so it comes out somewhat less than that. Your battery may be a bit bigger so 1,800 sounds about right.

Have no idea whether sealed or not, but I figure it's not worth worrying about - just buy a new one every three years (preferably before you get stranded) and be done with it.

Most of the batteries I have seen are 'Sealed for life' and IMO that is perfectly OK.

Nigel the little shops should give you a rebate for the old battery.

Taatoo - routine replacement is OTT for me. The driver can usually notice when the battery is beginning to weaken.

For the sake of a few baht I would get some extra amp hours. GL

Amaron batteries give a no quibble 2 year guarantee, and are not expensive for a sealed battery..

In our weee run around, the Amaron has lasted twice as long as the previous one, and on testing is still in good order..................☺️