PEA Visit

13 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Abstraction of electricity where I live in redneck country is very common.

Just about any event such as a wedding or funeral a guy is hired who turns up with marquees, plastic chairs and tables.  They usually bring enough lighting to light up a football stadium and they power it all by illegally connecting to the grid upstream of the property owner's meter.

Many market traders power their market stalls in a similar manner.

Absolutely correct. We recently had two funerals at our house within a few weeks of each other. All connections were kosher going through our meter. Bills increased considerably, probably mostly due to the casket refrigeration units.

2 hours ago, In the jungle said:

We do not have solar but I am considering installing a grid tie system next year.

On the subject of meters we had a new meter fitted in the last week.  This was done at the initiative of PEA in Chumphon as they said the old meter was faulty.  I had not noticed any problem.  The new meter is of the spinning top variety so we got lucky I guess.

I too would like PV panels but Mrs has other priorities and I get overruled! How did your PEA office establish that your existing meter was faulty? 

When we had a water leak the PWA performed a meter accuracy test and found that the meter was overrecording (fast) by 8%. They installed another one free of charge. I calculated that it will take 24 years to recover the cost of the water leak. However, that assumes that the new meter is accurate!

22 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I too would like PV panels but Mrs has other priorities and I get overruled! How did your PEA office establish that your existing meter was faulty? 

When we had a water leak the PWA performed a meter accuracy test and found that the meter was overrecording (fast) by 8%. They installed another one free of charge. I calculated that it will take 24 years to recover the cost of the water leak. However, that assumes that the new meter is accurate!

I do not know how they concluded the old meter was faulty.  My wife spoke to them on the phone.  I have been recording electricity usage and bills for the last ten years and there was no significant difference in units used.

• Thumbs Up 1

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately

GDI is working to commercialize the technology both as part of the manufacturing process of solar panels and as an aftermarket option for camouflaging or beautifying existing panels. Interested in partnering in this venture? 

Link: https://solar-image.com/

So at the moment I guess more expensive then your panels

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

I just hope that the local PEA don't suspect something suspicious with the low reading and decide to investigate or replace the meter

????

if they come around, just say we have been away.

We had a "Visit" of the PEA and nothing happened to us yet (???? also), maybe tmrw we will get an updated bill (but that is just guessing).

Our System has been dismantled since the visit, but when I don't hear anything tmrw (or nothing is added to our Bill etc) it's going back to normal (read: Export) tmrw after the meter reader has left as it's just a 10 min Job :thumbsup:

Edited by MJCM
Forgot ( and )
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MJCM said:

????

if they come around, just say we have been away.

We had a "Visit" of the PEA and nothing happened to us yet (???? also), maybe tmrw we will get an updated bill (but that is just guessing).

Our System has been dismantled since the visit, but when I don't hear anything tmrw (or nothing is added to our Bill etc) it's going back to normal (read: Export) tmrw after the meter reader has left as it's just a 10 min Job :thumbsup:

Good thinking! Logically, once they are satisfied no electricity is being stolen, the next option for them would be to insist that your solar system is closed down until it has been checked over and approved from a safety point of view. You would probably have to stand the cost of that inspection. Very little (if anything) to worry about IMHO.