Russian Tourists Help to Clean Up Beach on Samui Island

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Samui Island, Surat Thani – Russian tourists helped in collecting garbage at a beach on Samui Island.

On January 31st in the morning many tourists who were Russians were helping to collect garbage on the Baan Mae Nam Beach before they exercised, swam and sunbathed.

Garbage found on the beach were plastic bottles, glass bottles and seaweed.

One of the Russian tourists, Mr. Mike Michael, told Thai media, “My family and I have continued to visit Samui Island for nine years.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/02/04/russian-tourists-help-to-clean-up-beach-on-samui-island/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-02-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe they should just look for a cleaner beach somewhere else, instead of having to clean it up before using it.

A bit like a restaurant, you don't expect to have to clean the table yourself before sitting down.

Bit of a silly comparison.

A restaurant table does not have storms throwing rubbish and seaweed onto it at high tide. ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Bit of a silly comparison.

A restaurant table does not have storms throwing rubbish and seaweed onto it at high tide. ????

It does however, have people that use it all the time.

I was sitting on Jomtien Beach near Pattaya once and saw the locals tossing plastic and styrofoam down, and just walked away.

I picked up after them.

A BIB (cop) came by later and thanked me as I was about done.

The Gulf of Siam is not the Straights of Gibraltar the Straights of Hormuz.

No major shipping is forced into it. 99.9999% of the garbage comes from local fishing boats & ferries.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They aren't "helping" to clean up the beach because that infers that another group (like the local municipality) were cleaning the beach and the Russians pitched in to help. 

It's about time that Thailand cleans and maintains its beaches so that paying tourists can get on with the job of enjoying the natural beauty of Thailand whilst the Thai government takes responsibility for maintaining its "pristine beaches" as advertised by the TAT, just like other municipal government bodies do in tourist places in other countries with nice beaches.

Secondly Thai people and Tourists need to be educated in disposing of their rubbish in facilities that should be provided by the municipality. Frankly speaking the government drags in the tourists and then fails to direct some of that tourism money into maintaining rubbish free facilities.

Edited by metisdead
Extra spacing removed.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Maybe you should check and think, before you post a comment...:whistling:

The monsoon storm ended by that time. It's normal and nature that Maenam Beach is full of seaweed after a monsoon storm; and there might also be a few plastic bottles between. Everybody helps cleaning the beaches after the monsoon – not only a few Russian tourists – it's same procedure every year. I know, because I live there beachfront and has of course also been cleaning beach; and so have the Thais...????

Thanks for your comment, but I'll post what I like, or should I run everything via you first for proof reading?

I'm sorry to say but I just don't get it, a few years ago a thai friend of mine asked if I would be joining a large group of thais & farings to go down on the beach to clear up all the plastic bottles, old fishing nets & all the other trash etc,  I told her that I don't fly 5000 miles across the world to pick up other peoples deliberately discarded trash, there's enough of it in my own country..........Either educate, give out  harsh fines for littering or supply more bins, all of above if possible!!!

Edited by baz69er
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

this  is the living  proof that russians are not only warriors, but also lovers of nature

And killers of women and babies. Try remembering some history as well and the millions who died at the hands of stalin.

46 minutes ago, BritScot said:

And killers of women and babies. Try remembering some history as well and the millions who died at the hands of stalin.

Do you ever consider some history and the millions who died at the hands of the Brit, and Mr. Adam Smiths invisible hand? That's also where all the garbage comes in, by the way...

On 2/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, chacha boom said:

Do you ever consider some history and the millions who died at the hands of the Brit, and Mr. Adam Smiths invisible hand? That's also where all the garbage comes in, by the way...

You really do need to learn history.  The British Empire which you seem to be implying killed millions is farcical. The British Empire put a stop to the mass murder by local leaders one of which had an annual cull of 150,000 non of a certain religion. Never forget it was Great Britain that stopped slavery, lost thousands of British navy sailors stopping the slave ships plus paid retribution to release slaves (40% of GDP) a loan the UK only recently finished paying back. So please pray tell me where those millions have come from? Perhaps you meant saved. If you want to see the effects of the British Empire please take a look at the Increase in population in those countries. Then take a look at what happens to those countries when Britain handed them back.... Britain was a great administrator and builder and not a destroyer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A post has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

3 hours ago, BritScot said:

You really do need to learn history.  The British Empire which you seem to be implying killed millions is farcical. The British Empire put a stop to the mass murder by local leaders one of which had an annual cull of 150,000 non of a certain religion. Never forget it was Great Britain that stopped slavery, lost thousands of British navy sailors stopping the slave ships plus paid retribution to release slaves (40% of GDP) a loan the UK only recently finished paying back. So please pray tell me where those millions have come from? Perhaps you meant saved. If you want to see the effects of the British Empire please take a look at the Increase in population in those countries. Then take a look at what happens to those countries when Britain handed them back.... Britain was a great administrator and builder and not a destroyer. 

My links where taken down by moderaters...I will give you a short summary:

This rosy picture of colonialism conflicts dramatically with the historical record...

...it is clear that somewhere in the vicinity of 100 million people died prematurely at the height of British colonialism 1881 to 1920...larger than the combined number of deaths that occurred during all famines in the Soviet Union, Maoist China, North Korea, Pol Pot’s Cambodia, and Mengistu’s Ethiopia

You did a great job saving the Chinese society and people with you two opium wars

Native American population has skyrocketed...

African continent...

You know how to Google... 

4 hours ago, BritScot said:

British colonialism had significant implications for slavery. The British Empire played a major role in the transatlantic slave trade, transporting millions of enslaved Africans to the Americas and other colonies.

The trade in enslaved Africans was a key source of wealth and power for the British Empire, and helped fuel the growth of British commerce and industry. The enslavement of Africans also had devastating impacts on the enslaved populations, who were subjected to brutal treatment, forced labor, and a lack of basic rights and freedoms.