Ban assault weapons now! Ban them now! Once and for all."

Social Media

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most people that know nothing about rifles probably think any semi automatic rifle with a pistol grip and a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds is an "assault weapon" as their knowledge probably comes from war movies.

Personally, if I lived in the US, where home invasions by multiple gangsters occurs, I'd want a weapon with as many rounds as possible, given it takes a lot of bullets to actually take down moving targets.

IMO it's just Biden pandering to his base, as he must know a "ban" is unlikely, and that all a "ban" would do is take them off law abiding people- the bad guys can get all the weapons they want.

You are deeply mistaken as to the frequency of home invasions I think you know this and are just trying to get a dig in at the USA as far as home defense a pistol and shotgun combo is the most practical a long gun is used to kill at a distance and they can be cumbersome in close quarters aka home defense a ban on assault rifles would reduce the carnage in the school/church/store/concert/hospital shootings obviously 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You are wrong.  The rifle most often characterized as an assault rifle is the AR-15 which does not stand for Assault Rifle.  In terms of power the AR-15 and others like it use the .223 caliber bullet.  That caliber is banned for deer hunting in 10 states because they game officials find the caliber to small to effectively kill a deer.  

Now lets assume that those who wish to ban those "scary" looking military style rifles.  What is accomplished is that those who wish to create carnage merely purchase the identical rifle, that does not have the muzzle flash, pistol grip, plastic stock, or the plastic forearm that gives it the "look" of a military rifle.  The Ruger mini-14 comes as a Rancher model and looks like an everyday hunting rifle.  The Ruger tactical has the appearance that it is used in the military but that is purely cosmetic.  Functionally the two are identical.  They shoot the same exact ammunition, can carry the same number of cartridges, and fire at exactly the same rate.  It is like putting a spoiler, hood scoop, dual exhausts, and racing tires on a car.  It may make the car look like a powerful race car but it is purely cosmetics. 

The other choice would be for the person who is bent on killing people to upgrade to something truly lethal.  The .30-06 caliber is one of the most popular hunting cartridges and can be used on game as large as a grizzly bear.  at .30 it is significantly larger than the .22 caliber used in the AR-15 and similar rifles.  

Lethality of a rifle is based on the speed of the bullet, the construction of the bullet and its weight.  A golf ball is the same size as a ping pong ball but if traveling at the same speed the ping pong ball slows down quicker and has less knock down power because it is lighter.  Same with bullets.  The .223 comes in weights as low as 40 grains and only as large as 77 grains.  By contrast the 30-06 starts at 109.6 grains and goes as larger as 220.7 grains enough to kill a moose or grizzly bear. 

So congratulations banning those puny rifles may well put something truly deadly in their hands instead. 

AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle.  The AR in "AR-15" rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. "AR" does NOT stand for "assault rifle" or "automatic rifle."  AR-15-style rifles are NOT "assault weapons" or "assault rifles." An assault rifle is fully automatic -- a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.

It's best to look at the states that don't allow deer hunting with . 223 diameter bullet or an AR-15 rifle. Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Washington, and West Virginia require larger bullets to be used to hunt game.

How sportsman like to kill an animal with an assault-style weapon.  I don't know anyone that would take pride in hunting with such a weapon.  Perhaps the same people who fish using explosives?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Credo said:

How sportsman like to kill an animal with an assault-style weapon.  I don't know anyone that would take pride in hunting with such a weapon.  Perhaps the same people who fish using explosives?

Killing is killing. Doesn't matter how many bullets in the magazine. I see no sense in your post.

BTW, I despise people that kill for "sport", but I've killed many for other reasons- pests, for food, necessity.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most people that know nothing about rifles probably think any semi automatic rifle with a pistol grip and a magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds is an "assault weapon" as their knowledge probably comes from war movies.

Personally, if I lived in the US, where home invasions by multiple gangsters occurs, I'd want a weapon with as many rounds as possible, given it takes a lot of bullets to actually take down moving targets.

Most people that claim to have knowledge of rifles have delusional fantasies about fending off multiple armed gangsters with their AR15 rifles.    For this fantasy to become reality it would require the following:

1. The gangsters notify you in advance of their arrival so you can prepare yourself accordingly so they don't take you by surprise.

2. The gangsters need to have the shooting accuracy of a stormtrooper.   

3.  You are literally John Wick.   

People in other countries do not seem to have this same fear.   I wonder if that is related to the fact that people (gangsters or otherwise) are not able to easily buy their appendage extensions from a sporting goods store?  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, James105 said:

Most people that claim to have knowledge of rifles have delusional fantasies about fending off multiple armed gangsters with their AR15 rifles.    For this fantasy to become reality it would require the following:

1. The gangsters notify you in advance of their arrival so you can prepare yourself accordingly so they don't take you by surprise.

People in other countries do not seem to have this same fear.   I wonder if that is related to the fact that people (gangsters or otherwise) are not able to easily buy their appendage extensions from a sporting goods store?  

Anyone that ACTUALLY knows about such weapons will have no such fantasies.

Anyone that purchases an AR15 in hopes of being John Wick knows sod all about using them in reality.

BTW, I served and I do know about what such weapons are capable, or not capable of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

Are you of the opinion that the possible presence of a gun does not deter crime?  Try this experiment then. If you truly believe that, put a sign on your front lawn that says, "This House is a Gun Free Zone".  Should make no difference to your safety.

From what I have read, the difference in countries like the UK, that actually has a high rate of crime and burglary (if not murder) is that thieves don't care whether or not you are at home when they break in.  Many more home break-ins happen when the home owners are still home.  In the US, the criminals wait until the residence is unoccupied.  Wonder why...

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

IMO it's a peculiarly American thing, for the most part, but whatever country we live in, criminals normally have zero difficulty of obtaining any weapon they desire.

For example, in NZ one used to be able to buy semi automatic weapons in sporting stores but there was no equivalence to US mass shootings. Different country, different culture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From what I have read, the difference in countries like the UK, that actually has a high rate of crime and burglary (if not murder) is that thieves don't care whether or not you are at home when they break in

Most burglars do care if the owners are there unless they are going for the UK's dumbest criminal award or their intentions are something other than burglary.  Do you have a non-NRA associated link that backs up this claim?  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Credo said:

Thanks.  And there are people who seem to think it's OK to have these weapons of war and require DNA analysis of school children simply to identify what's left of their body.  

As I stated above, these are NOT "weapons of war".  No military uses them.  Such useless hyperbole adds nothing to the discussion.  

They are not magical super powerful space weapons that do anything other than what other firearms do.  They just look scary to uninformed and easily frightened people. In most cases, they are the equivalent of a Ferrari car body housing a 4 cylinder 90hp engine.  All show and no go. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

As I stated above, these are NOT "weapons of war".  No military uses them.  Such useless hyperbole adds nothing to the discussion.  

They are not magical super powerful space weapons that do anything other than what other firearms do.  They just look scary to uninformed and easily frightened people. In most cases, they are the equivalent of a Ferrari car body housing a 4 cylinder 90hp engine.  All show and no go. 

In most cases, they are the equivalent of a Ferrari car body housing a 4 cylinder 90hp engine.  All show and no go. 

Yet that's not what the experts say as evidenced through the links in my post and the awful wounds inflicted on those who have been killed of injured.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

In most cases, they are the equivalent of a Ferrari car body housing a 4 cylinder 90hp engine.  All show and no go. 

Yet that's not what the experts say as evidenced through the links in my post and the awful wounds inflicted on those who have been killed of injured.

Well, it seems your wrong.  From BKK Brian's post:

The 300 Blackout name is perfect because it is heavier and larger than other calibers. This sturdy caliber is even designed for special operation forces.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Credo said:

Thanks.  And there are people who seem to think it's OK to have these weapons of war and require DNA analysis of school children simply to identify what's left of their body.  

The AR 15 isn't a "weapon of war", but the similar looking weapon, the M16 was.

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-military-use-AR-15

“M16” is often used to refer to full auto versions of the rifle, while “AR-15” refers to semi-auto versions of the rifle (which aren’t in common use in any military).

In a world where the bad guys have no problem getting weapons, I want something that is as good as what they have. People that want to be defenseless are welcome to not have any. Just don't expect any sympathy from me if it all goes wrong.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

Completely agree.   These are the "weapons of incels" that have been used countless times to massacre kids at school.   No self respecting serving member of the forces would want one of these to go to war with where people actually fight back, but they do excel in the task of killing large numbers of defenceless children.   

So what weapon did the Sandy Hook guy use?   This one seemed to kill 27 people and left only 2 injured - seems like a lot of go in that one to me.  

We live in a world awash in lethal weapons and some seem to think a "ban" on certain weapons will end the killing- dreamers all.

If they can't get semi auto rifles they'll use Sarin or food poisoning or machetes or a pointed stick.

23 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

26 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

So who are the Special Forces mentioned in Bkk Brian's post?

The 300 Blackout name is perfect because it is heavier and larger than other calibers. This sturdy caliber is even designed for special operation forces.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott said:

The claim was that the 300 Blackout is a re barreled AR 15, but it's a varient of the M4 as the below article shows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout

The .300 AAC Blackout (designated as the 300 BLK by the SAAMI[1] and 300 AAC Blackout by the C.I.P.[2]), also known as 7.62×35mm, is an intermediate cartridge developed in the United States by Advanced Armament Corporation (AAC) for use in the M4 carbine.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The claim was that the 300 Blackout is a re barreled AR 15, but it's a varient of the M4 as the below article shows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout

The .300 AAC Blackout (designated as the 300 BLK by the SAAMI[1] and 300 AAC Blackout by the C.I.P.[2]), also known as 7.62×35mm, is an intermediate cartridge developed in the United States by Advanced Armament Corporation (AAC) for use in the M4 carbine.

AR-15 Caliber Choices

300 Blackout

The 300 Blackout name is perfect because it is heavier and larger than other calibers, this sturdy caliber is even designed for special operation forces.

Due to the .30 caliber bore, the 300 Blackout offers a broader range of projectile choices and is perfect for hunting. This caliber is exceptional for hunting medium or large game such as deer and smaller bears.

The 300 Blackout can be used with a suppressor and a short barrel for home defense, the short barrel allows for more effortless movement around your home, and the suppressor protects you and your family’s hearing, this caliber is not a good choice if you live in an apartment due to its high barrier penetration.

https://tacticalgunreview.com/what-determines-the-caliber-of-an-ar-15/

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The AR-15 can also be used with higher caliber's not just .223

300 Blackout

The 300 Blackout name is perfect because it is heavier and larger than other calibers. This sturdy caliber is even designed for special operation forces.

Due to the .30 caliber bore, the 300 Blackout offers a broader range of projectile choices and is perfect for hunting. This caliber is exceptional for hunting medium or large game such as deer and smaller bears.

There are others also.

However even when used with the .223 it still does far more damage to tissue than a normal gun.  The AR-15 .223 is dangerous high-velocity ammunition which has more gun powder. The bullet "Yaw" plays a big factor in the damage once it enters tissue, spinning or even exploding/fragmenting causing multiple wounds.

This guy is a fire arms trainer from Canada and gives a graphic description of what those rounds can do, here's a brief snippet but more in the video:

"He pointed out that unlike rounds fired from handguns, the “.223 travels really, really fast, and that creates some problems should you get hit with it.”

For example, he said the bullet produces a “little shockwave,” which leads to a “temporary stretch cavity.” If the bullet strikes a thigh, for example, “it’s going to suck a bunch of air in there.” This leads to “massive tissue disruption and tissue death” because “your skin has been pulled apart and it tears, and it collapses back together again.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bvuAqU1wm4

Another expert when using the AR-15

"There's going to be a lot more damage to the tissues, both bones, organs, whatever gets kind of even near this bullet path. The bones aren't going to just break, they're going to shatter. Organs aren't just going to tear or have bruises on them, they're going to be, parts of them are going to be destroyed."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ar-15-mass-shootings-60-minutes-2022-05-29/

This is a good read. The M-16 is a corrupted version of the original AR-15 which was specifically designed for the smaller .223 round. They wanted a weapons system that would inflict more damage to enemy personnel than the existing M-14 which used a higher caliber round. "Wound ballistics" it's called, as described in the article you linked to. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1981/06/m-16-a-bureaucratic-horror-story/545153/

11 minutes ago, Scott said:

You tell me.  The 300 Blackout is the name of a bullet, not a weapon. It is designed so Special Forces can use captured weapons and ammo while on long missions.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, James105 said:

Completely agree.   These are the "weapons of incels" that have been used countless times to massacre kids at school.   No self respecting serving member of the forces would want one of these to go to war with where people actually fight back, but they do excel in the task of killing large numbers of defenceless children.   

So what weapon did the Sandy Hook guy use?   This one seemed to kill 27 people and left only 2 injured - seems like a lot of go in that one to me.  

Exceptions do not disprove the rule. Handguns are also used in many mass shootings.  They are also used in the vast majority of homicides in general, unlike rifles and even so-called "assault weapons". For mass killings, handguns are probably better because they are lighter, easier to conceal, and better for use in confined spaces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Exceptions do not disprove the rule. Handguns are also used in many mass shootings.  They are also used in the vast majority of homicides in general, unlike rifles and even so-called "assault weapons". For mass killings, handguns are probably better because they are lighter, easier to conceal, and better for use in confined spaces. 

That sounds like a good argument to ban semi-automatic handguns as well then.    Why stop at AR15s and their equivalents since handguns are equally effective at killing kids?  After all, America has proven that the second amendment rights are not breached by not allowing the purchase of fully automatic rifles, so why not extend that to semi-automatic killing machines also?   You could still purchase a hunting rifle if you wanted to go hunting, and one of those little single shot girls guns would suffice for self defence.   Obviously this will not be sufficient to stop a rogue government that has tanks, fighter planes, missiles and warships at it's disposal, but then neither is an AR-15.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

by not allowing the purchase of fully automatic rifles,

That is technically not true.  A private citizen can still purchase an fully automatic but it requires additional permits to do so.  

Can I buy a fully automatic weapon in the US?

Automatic Weapons can be Owned in the US!

We've said it before and we'll say it again: automatic weapons are 100% legal in the US, but you've got to meet strict requirements to own one and the guns aren't cheap. Still, if you want to own an automatic weapon, you are completely within your rights to do so.
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

That is absolutely not true.  The AR-15 is chambered for only .223 Remingon or .556 Nato The two cartridges are virtually identical. 

It is obvious you know nothing about firearms.  If a gun is chambered for a particular caliber.  That is the only cartridge that can be used in it. 

Now while you could have an AR-15 chambered for other calibers that would be a virtual impossibility for anyone looking to purchase an AR-15 at a retail store. 

This is directly from Armalite.  They offer the AR-15 in only two options the .223 or .556 Nato and the two cartridges are virtually identical to each other in terms of ballistics.  

Now can you "change" the caliber of an AR-15.  Yes.  You would have to have a gunsmith bore the chamber to accept the new cartridge and alter the action and feed for the magazine.  

The fact is every AR-15 that has been used in any of the mass shootings has been the traditional caliber not any of the altered cartridges that you mentioned. 

Can you get other rifles that are semi-automatic in larger calibers sure.  But that only proves my point.  The Winchester BAR, Remington 742, AK-47, Ruger Mini 30, Colt 6290, Ruger Model 44, Winchester Model 100, Valmet Hunter, Remington 7400, all can chamber a variety of much larger cartridges.  They just like the AR-15 are semi-automatics.  

So what would be accomplished by banning only those weapons that "looked scary"  Functionally, the AR-15 in its conventional cartridge choice found in retail stores is a much less lethal weapon than if the person purchased any of the above reference rifles.  

Look up the Ruger Mini-14 rancher and the Ruger Mini - 14 tactictal.  The one looks like a hunting rifle, the other looks like a military rifle.  However it is purely cosmetics.  The two guns funcitonally are absolutely them same.  So which of them do you ban? 

image.png.b7b64a9eeaa554bfe7183e48280a2927.png

image.png.21de2e589fea012ede53e2de571c7084.png

Or you can just go online a buy one:

image.png.16b55f49d8ff4c8bda0986bcac702083.png

The Diamondback DB15 is the AR-15 style rifle of your dreams.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/firearms/tactical/ar-15-rifles/?https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/firearms/tactical/ar-15-rifles/=undefined&start=0&sz=36

Besides which you totally ignored the facts about the AR-15 .223 has dangerous high-velocity ammunition which has more gun powder and consequently far deadlier than a normal hand gun .22 or did you miss the links to the evidence in my post?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

We've said it before and we'll say it again: automatic weapons are 100% legal in the US, but you've got to meet strict requirements to own one and the guns aren't cheap. Still, if you want to own an automatic weapon, you are completely within your rights to do so.

If the requirements to get an automatic rifle are not in breach of second amendment rights, why can the exact same rules for fully automatics (strict requirements, cost etc) not be applied to semi-automatics as well?   

• Like 1

For clarification on AR-15 calibers:

What Determines the Caliber of an AR-15?

The AR-15 was initially designed to be used specifically with a 5.56x45mm cartridge. However, due to its popularity, there is now a variety of calibers. But what determines the caliber of an AR-15 depends on what you are aiming for with this powerful rifle.

https://tacticalgunreview.com/what-determines-the-caliber-of-an-ar-15/

AR-15 calibers and cartridges are legion. Finding the right one is a matter of matching it to the job you want your rifle to perform.

What Are the AR-15 Cartridge Choices

https://gundigest.com/rifles/ar-15/ar-15-calibers-and-cartridges-what-should-you-chamber-your-carbine

Edited by Bkk Brian