SCB Bank - Does anyone know if Wise Transfers are coded as FTT ( foreign transfers)

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You are wrong on several counts.

WISE higher charges are ALWAYS negated by a much better exchange rate. I get free international transfers with HSBC but it is considerably better for me to use WISE.

29 out of my last 30 transfers have happened in under 10 seconds......only one was delayed a few hours, and never until the next day. Make sure you are transferring Sterling into your WISE account and then instruct the Baht transfer from there.

Yes I totally agree , HSBC might only charge £5 but they will give you a much lower rate of exchange , it definitely still works out a lot cheaper using Wise. 

Edited by Brick Top
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Does anyone currently use SCB and know whether that is true or not?  Your bank book would show the coding of any money coming in from Wise. 

You can select FTT to be shown on Thai bank-statement in Wise, before you transfer the money...:thumbsup:

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You can select FTT to be shown on Thai bank-statement in Wise, before you transfer the money...:thumbsup:

Would you like to explain how?  FTT is used by Bangkok Bank if Wise uses their account with Bangkok Bank to pay.  The "long term stay in Thailand" should insure this is done if you have Bangkok Bank account but it is not 100%.  Having your Wise account tagged manually seems to be a bit more reliable but they give no 100% guarantee.  What it is designed to do is may payment from account at same back as deposit (but there are only about 3 banks they have accounts).  Other banks may not even use FTT.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, norbra said:

The original header Wise transfers not marked FTT,I was seeking the same answers you were, as it turned out Kasikorn transfers were not unduly affected. At that time Wise to Kbank transfers were recoded to GPS . Global Payment Systems being the fx facilitators which may have also upset BBL FTT coding

Let it go, that thread was maybe a year ago

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

You can select FTT to be shown on Thai bank-statement in Wise, before you transfer the money...

I am told that is true for transfers going to Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank but not true for SCB because they go through some bank intermediary who gets the transfer from Wise and then transfers it to SCB.  

I don't know for certain this is true, but the person who told me sure seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject. 

4 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I am told that is true for transfers going to Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank but not true for SCB because they go through some bank intermediary who gets the transfer from Wise and then transfers it to SCB.  

I don't know for certain this is true, but the person who told me sure seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject. 

The reason for transfer only effects Bangkok Bank transfers

8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I'm not sure where the OP lives or which Imm office they use but...

I live in Pattay and use the Bangkok Bank Pattay Klang office.  This is a typical example of going to a differnet branch and getting different answers and more importantly going to Chonburi Immigration versus immigration in other provinces. 

The Chonburi Office was adamant that they require for those using monthly 65,000 baht method a 12 month bank statement, and a letter from the bank detailing by date the transfers for the same 12 month period.  

I showed the officer various confirmations such as from Wise, and even those supplied as a sample confirm from Kasikorn and he said no.  Only a single piece of paper, and it must contain all the transfers from the 12 month period.  No mulitple papers from the bank or Wise. 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

The reason for transfer only effects Bangkok Bank transfers

Not sure,  I was told both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn but I have not been able to verify that with anyone who uses Wise for Kasikorn.  I have had a person with SCB saying no the Wise transfers do not show as FTT. 

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

Not sure,  I was told both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn but I have not been able to verify that with anyone who uses Wise for Kasikorn.  I have had a person with SCB saying no the Wise transfers do not show as FTT. 

I'm sure, I've read thousands of posts on it, here and Facebook 

Re: I was in banking for over 40 years with major banks in the USA. 

What I have experienced with Bangkok Bank is that each time something is asked, it is like it is the first time the person has ever heard of such a thing and no they don't do it.   

Happy for all those that have had good experiences with BBK, but mine over the years no matter what the request is the standard response is always "No we Can't"

Unfortunately, there are reasons I have to continue to use BKK, but I did open SCB and KBank accounts where I find them much more sensible "Yes we Can"

The banks all use the same pool of labour, the same tellers, branch staff etc, many drift from one bank to another over time. Mostly it is luck of the draw whether you encounter good staff or not, if you do, the situation will change inside 12 months because the good ones get moved up and on. To suggest that one brand has better quality staff than another brand is nonsense. I've held accounts at most of the major banks here and I can tell you that over time, there is no difference. You can improve your chances of success by not using small rural branches, business centres in cities and especially in the CBD are the best chance you have, even then it's luck of the draw.

1 hour ago, berrec said:

Happy for all those that have had good experiences with BBK, but mine over the years no matter what the request is the standard response is always "No we Can't"

Your experience is identical to mine.   Of course being a former banker I know a bit where to push and show them that Bangkok Bank has done it for me previously or as in the most recent case, that immigration supplied a copy of a letter on Bangkok Bank letterhead detailing how to complete the required letter. 

However it is much too time consuming and annoying to have to do battle each time I go in.  What amazes me, is yes if what was being asked was out of the ordinary, I can understand why the bank personnel might not have encountered it previously. 

However with  non-o visas the bank must run into requests from foreigners each and every day.  Yet when you ask, you get this look on the bank personnel as if they have just had a lobotomy.