44 Foreign Drivers Arrested in Patong with No Driving Licenses

webfact

2 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

People come here on vacation and often don't care about the laws - vaping is another problem. In addition they do not know that in the event of an accident the insurance may not pay if there is no valid licence. Ok - there's GoFundMe...

In addition, tourists need to read the fine print of their insurance policy - many won't cover if riding on a motorcycle or scooter regardless of having the appropriate license.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I always thought you could drive in Thailand on a foreign license for up to 3 months without an IDP. I may be wrong but I have a strong memory of this (many of my memories are questionable due to my age though).

I think that's true, provided that your home country license is in English. An IDP is nothing more than an English translation of your driver's license. Not sure about the length of time, though.

52 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If ya re so monumentally arrogant, anti-social, and stupid as to ride a bike or drive a car here without a valid license, and therefore zero insurance of any kind, you deserve every ounce of punishment is meted out to you.

Tens of thousands of tourists do this every day. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, windas said:

Hi guys

It's an international driving "PERMIT" and it's not required in Thailand unless your staying for a long period, then you get a Thai licence.

as it is not stated which driving licence, a Thai, a own country licence or an international driving licence, it could be that arrested drivers had none correct driving licence at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If you look at the police checkpoints in tourist places it's indeed racism. They pull over everybody who doesn't look Thai, but a Thai without helmet and no license plate can just pass.

I have been in Chiang Mai for over a decade and on the motorbike most days. I usually get waved through. They don't want to practice their English skills and/or bother with this old American.

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

If I am a Thai police officer and see 10 Thais and 10 foreigners coming on a motorbike whom would I stop?

I would stop everybody without a helmet or sitting with 3 people on one bike first, because that's the easiest to spot and these people are clearly breaking the law. Stopping foreigners first, just because they are foreigners, while letting Thai looking people who clearly break laws pass is just racism.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Stopping foreigners first, just because they are foreigners, while letting Thai looking people who clearly break laws pass is just racism.

Lol, hilarious

You've no idea they weren't stopping all and sundry. You are just assuming.

When you catch 44 lawbreakers I'd say job well done. Looks like farang are low hanging fruit AND prolly easy marks for a backhander

4 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If you look at the police checkpoints in tourist places it's indeed racism. They pull over everybody who doesn't look Thai, but a Thai without helmet and no license plate can just pass.

BS. Not where I live. All are stopped and all have to donate accordingly.

6 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

This is 100% racism, as we all know, an extremely high number of thais do the same things, every day, and nothing is done to stop it.

But farangy's should know better, coming from countries where they know the laws.................:cowboy:.........................:sorry:

6 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

An IDP and your country of origin Driving licence is required if you want to drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand.
After a year, if you want to continue to drive in Thailand you have to take a Thai driving test, as the IDP is no longer valid. 

An IDP issued in the UK is now valid for 3 years.

5 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Fifteen rental motorbikes were seized and legal action will be taken against motorbike rental operators for allowing drivers with no driving license to rent motorbikes.

....... At last they are going after the operators as well ... no license - no rent! Perfect.

Just another way for the RTP to collect a load of money for their 'Central Fund' and then back to normal again !

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

perfectly legal for a Thai to drive in the US, with a Thai drivers license

For reference:

I am a UK Citizen who lived in Thailand. My Thai Driving Licence is still valid. I now live in Cambodia and my Thai DL is legal, even though driving is on the right side of the road!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

How can it possibly be racist when every nationality is stopped for so obviously breaking the law, even Thai's got stopped and fined for those things all the time.

You have to ask the question - were all the Thais arrested or just given a ticket which would be the usual procedure?

Special harsh rules for foreigners.....

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Any mention of arresting the Thai lenders of the bikes for renting to people with no licence ? 

Fifteen rental motorbikes were seized and legal action will be taken against motorbike rental operators for allowing drivers with no driving license to rent motorbikes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While 10 year old kids are allowed to ride motorbikes, they are arresting foreigners without Thai driver's licenses. Meanwhile it is perfectly legal for a Thai to drive in the US, with a Thai drivers license. Fair or extremely xenophobic? 

The United States driving laws state that you’re required to have a valid driving license in possession to be able to drive in the US. This can be either issued by a US State or a foreign country. So, yes, you can drive with a foreign license in the US.

https://www.stilt.com/blog/2020/06/how-long-can-you-drive-with-a-foreign-license-in-the-u-s/

same in Thailand, the problem is most tourists do not have a home country motorbike licence, so no licence to cover them in Thailand, also going by the accidents for tourists in Phuket, no experience on motorcycles either, look at that girl the other day she lost control, why wa she not in full control of the bike at all times, lack of experience maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

An IDP and your country of origin Driving licence is required if you want to drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand.
After a year, if you want to continue to drive in Thailand you have to take a Thai driving test, as the IDP is no longer valid. 

You posted some wrong info there,you are doing better @ Windas

but still no prize.