Medical Insurance …..WR Life……for 70 plus……..your experience/recommendations?

mikey88

On 2/25/2023 at 12:43 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

Somewhat contradictory statements on their web page

The WrLife team

We are fully-licenced insurance agents and brokers,

At WrLife we believe that customers prefer to be insured by a fully-licenced company with an honest, open and fair approach to medical insurance.

We’re a fully-licenced independent insurance group

If they are just brokers, who does the insurance underwriting?

This is what I received from them. I am a bit concerned about switching to them.

>>>

WrLife is their master broker behind health insurance. The coverage is provided by Thonburi Hospital Group ASIA (US$500 million in share capital) and behind them is the Boon Vanasin family. The complete handling of the insurance claim is done by AIS Thailand, 24/7 emergency, which is also backed by the Boon Vanasin family.

You take out the health insurance with the master broker WrLife, who also issues the insurance policy and pays your premium: ASSIST INTERNATIONAL SERVICES (THAILAND) CO., LTD. This company will then start your insurance under Thonburi Hospital Group ASIA at the agreed time.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Robbs said:

This is what I received from them. I am a bit concerned about switching to them.

>>>

WrLife is their master broker behind health insurance. The coverage is provided by Thonburi Hospital Group ASIA (US$500 million in share capital) and behind them is the Boon Vanasin family. The complete handling of the insurance claim is done by AIS Thailand, 24/7 emergency, which is also backed by the Boon Vanasin family.

You take out the health insurance with the master broker WrLife, who also issues the insurance policy and pays your premium: ASSIST INTERNATIONAL SERVICES (THAILAND) CO., LTD. This company will then start your insurance under Thonburi Hospital Group ASIA at the agreed time.

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post and the replies have been removed:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, LaosLover said:

Just did biz in Chiang Mai with CMX Insure (Andy). For a 70 year old with 10K deductible it was about 5K a year via Cigna. Compared to American Medicare, that's a bargain. This price excludes treatment in the states.

I don't believe 5K baht a year for a 70 year old.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

He said the US was excluded...

Doubt it's 5K Baht in any event

Even after excluding US, there is no way 5K for yearly worldwide insurance cost for 70-year old person. I spent one night in a Netherland's hospital and my charge was $3,000. My insurer, UHG, paid 50%. My insurance covers 50% worldwide and 100% in the US.  

1 minute ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Even after excluding US, there is no way 5K for yearly worldwide insurance cost for 70-year old person. I spent one night in a Netherland's hospital and my charge was $3,000. My insurer, UHG, paid 50%. My insurance covers 50% worldwide and 100% in the US.  

Tell dude...

I had great insurance with Cigna until I retired, they paid 80% I paid 20% up to a $5K a year max out of pocket. 

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I don't believe 5K baht a year for a 70 year old.

No.

I meant $5,000 DOLLARS. A year.

In the states, with my income, my health insurance with a higher deductible was about $9,000 (DOLLARS). A year.

i had a good deal with cigna for several years. no claims at all but then when i reached my birthday they said I had reached a higher risk pool. The premium was raised by a factor of 3. Now I self insure. (But that can be costly too.)

A neighbour here died recently as his money ran out to pay for meds and treatment so self insurance can need deep pockets.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BB1955 said:

I have WR Life I have filed claims and have had zero issues with there service . They have paid direct to the hospital with no hassle at all . There were two instances where I had to pay first and get reimbursed  . It was done quickly . That was only because the doctor had not filled out the proper form , once I had the form it was paid .

I had another well known  insurance for many years and when I went to file for a surgery it was nothing but a fight . They would also drop me at 70 . They paid the surgery but not what they should have , I dropped them as soon as it expired and went with WR Life .....

What were the claims for, value and which hospitals? useful info

• Thumbs Up 1

What's with people saying that they "self insure"?  Perhaps I don't understand what kind of insurance self insure is.  But if it's what I think it is, it means that those people don't have insurance.  Perhaps it's more comforting for them to deal with the idea of "self insure" than to simply say that they're uninsured.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

What's with people saying that they "self insure"?  Perhaps I don't understand what kind of insurance self insure is.  But if it's what I think it is, it means that those people don't have insurance.  Perhaps it's more comforting for them to deal with the idea of "self insure" than to simply say that they're uninsured.

I am uninsured, I get a medical bill, I pay it. No  illusions-I think of myself as uninsured. When some of us sometimes refer to that as self insurance I think you know exactly  what that means, 555. Nothing 'with' it. just an expression. Like pigs flying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had Cigna through my last employer for probably ten years, and it was great. Bumrungrad was one of their "in network" facilities and they paid every claim I filed. 

Trying to get the direct-pay to work was a PITA as was trying to get stuff pre-approved. I gave up on that after the first year and just sent the bills in for reimbursement. 

I would pay the bills with my US credit card which had no foreign transaction fees and cash-back, and the exchange rate Cigna used was such that I made 2-3% on every bill....

1 hour ago, MrBrad said:

Do you understand what "claim denied" means? and "insurance cancelled" means? for an unknown and unrelated pre-existing condition

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do you understand what "claim denied" means? and "insurance cancelled" means? for an unknown and unrelated pre-existing condition

Yes -- it means hi 5's all around the office.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1286249-medical-insurance-…wr-life……for-70-plus……your-experiencerecommendations/?do=findComment&comment=17898101

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

However the gent is already on record re someone deciding not to go with WrLife:

"I reckon your gut feeling is right on that, i feel the same, money better spent elsewhere"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1281012-wrlifeany-more-info-or-updates-regarding-trust-and-claims/?do=findComment&comment=17795234

19 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

However the gent is already on record re someone deciding not to go with WrLife:

"I reckon your gut feeling is right on that, i feel the same, money better spent elsewhere"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1281012-wrlifeany-more-info-or-updates-regarding-trust-and-claims/?do=findComment&comment=17795234

Correct, but I'm monitoring any good and bad reviews with them incl you being our guinea pig

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Correct, but I'm monitoring any good and bad reviews with them incl you being our guinea pig

You were one of the persons who said, as my hip surgery following an accident doesn't count as a medical claim paid by WrLife which could be denied for some (fabricated?) pre-existing condition. Then, I did a year later get a medical claim and posted about that -- but with no comment from you.

So I am just going to presume, based upon about a year's worth of entries, that you are more interested in bad reviews than in good reviews.

I have mostly responded on these topics because people ask for first-hand info on claims experience. But I have never advised anyone as to whether they should sign up with WrLife or for that matter anyone else.

Edited by jerrymahoney

8 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

You were one of the persons who said, as my hip surgery following an accident doesn't count as a medical claim paid by WrLife which could be denied for some (fabricated?) pre-existing condition. Then, I did a year later get a medical claim and posted about that -- but with no comment from you.

So I am just going to presume, based upon about a year's worth of entries, that you are more interested in bad reviews than in good reviews.

I have mostly responded on these topics because people ask for first-hand info on claims experience. But I have never advised anyone as to whether they should sign up with WrLife or for that matter anyone else.

Others have reservations on WRLife, not just me and you know why

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Others have reservations on WRLife, not just me and you know why

You can have all the reservations you want. I am only talking about my specific experience. You and others are just giving your opinions mainly that they do not operate as you think they should operate and that their published statements are "waffle".

Noted.

Edited by jerrymahoney

It is worth nothing that people generally do not post rave review for insurance provides, and when they do, they are often discounted as shills. 

With any real insurance policy I've had, I have never had a problem collecting on something that was clearly covered, and have even collected on a few things that were not covered.