Changing to O Visa - Covid health Ins

So, now I have decided that I will change to an O visa rather than OA, mainly because of the cost of the Health Insurance requirements, I have so many pre-existing conditions that it's not  of any benefit to me anyhow.

My first question is, if I leave the country and come back in Visa exempt is there a Covid Health Insurance requirement or something I need to be aware of going along this road.

Secondly, without having to fly somewhere like Singapore or Malaysia is there a Border exit I can drive to in Thailand to be able to come back in on visa exempt.  Many thanks yet again.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP your border bounce options depend on where you live. 

If you decide to fly you will require onward flight for return visa exempt. 

I live in Kanchanaburi, there's a border about 60 km from me but I don't know if it's open or not, Mae Sot would be the next closest but someone told me it's closed, basically I don't care where it is as I can drive anywhere, just need to know what's open and can I get the visa exempt there.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:22 PM, JWRC said:

I live in Kanchanaburi, there's a border about 60 km from me but I don't know if it's open or not, Mae Sot would be the next closest but someone told me it's closed, basically I don't care where it is as I can drive anywhere, just need to know what's open and can I get the visa exempt there.

Last I heard (or read) Ban Phu Nam Ron is closed to foreigners as are all of the Myanmar crossings. We don't get much news, but there really is a war going on in Myanmar.  This was from UbonJoe about 3 months ago.  If you decide to try, since you're so close, give us border bouncers from Bangkok a heads up of the status.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

39 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Last I heard (or read) Ban Phu Nam Ron is closed to foreigners as are all of the Myanmar crossings. We don't get much news, but there really is a war going on in Myanmar.  This was from UbonJoe about 3 months ago.  If you decide to try, since you're so close, give us border bouncers from Bangkok a heads up of the status.

According to a google report from 2 weeks ago it is still closed.