GOP targets drag shows with new bills in at least 14 states

onthedarkside

image.png.9eecd5e3b8a09db1fb5542d0150da08a.png

Early in the 2023 legislative session, at least 26 bills have been introduced in 14 states by Republican legislators taking aim at drag events — an abrupt movement that has emerged this year amid a wider conservative backlash to expanded LGBTQ rights.

There’s no recent precedent for the bills, which seek to ban children from drag performances, block the shows from public venues or force locales that host drag events to register as “adult-oriented businesses,” according to LGBTQ advocacy groups.

A Washington Post analysis of state legislation dating to 2015 shows the first bill in that period seeking broad restrictions on drag shows was pre-filed in November for this year’s legislative session.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/14/drag-shows-republican-bills-bans/

image.png.f3ac53a39a6cd0b7ab2e9e24a911acee.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Is this the voice of experience or the voice of blind bigotry?

It can only be one or the other.

How about letting parents decide what their own children may or may not see and not dictate to other parents what their children may or may not see?!

Should parents take their children also to strip shows? And if not, why not?

At the strip shows they will see at least real women with women's clothes and not men with women's clothes pretending to be women. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, 300sd said:

So what do you call parents that take innocent children to watch garbage like that? Upstanding citizens!

Yes. 

They are supporting theatre and artists. 

As long as the content is suitable for children, I don’t see what the problem is. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

It might have something to do with the rude and overtly sexual nature of the vast majority of drag shows.  Attempting to suddenly recast them as "wholesome entertainment for the entire family" is utterly ridiculous. 

You’ve not answered the questions I put to you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My guess would be that all the posters on here who think drag shows for kids is just good entertainment have never had kids. Just a guess. 

And yet those childless folks want to dictate what's appropriate for kids. For once I wish the very small % of the LGBTQ community would just go on about their lives quietly and stop dictating what the majority of Americans should do or tolerate.

Your guess, is once again wrong.

An error which completely undermines your second assertion.

How about, not making laws to control what parents choose is or is not acceptable for their own children.

Nobody is forcing you, or anyone else to go see any drag show.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, candide said:

So much B.S. said about drag shows. Some people have too much imagination. Most shows are just funny, with drag queens singing songs such as Lili Marlene, not strip tease shows.

Here is a sample of drag shows, I don't see what's revolting in the shows.

https://www.eventbrite.com/d/united-states/drag-show/

I don't know what is normal and what are exceptions. But it seems at least some of those performances are revolting - at least for me, a straight male.

Edited by Scott
Inappropriate, unsourced graphic removed.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here in Phuket there's 2 or 3 large ladyboy cabaret and comedy shows that are packed nightly, I've never been but they are not touted as adults only and judging by the bus loads of tourists that go nightly its just entertainment.

There are also lots of gogo bars in Phuket. Lots of people go there. It's just entertainment. 

If I would have children, I wouldn't take them to drag shows or ladyboy shows or gogo bars.

But in the theoretical game that I would have to take them somewhere then I would take them to the gogo bars. Sexy real girls are a lot more natural than men who pretend to be women.