Letter from Embassy requesting Immigration to transfer relevant stamps from old to new passport.

1 hour ago, thinice said:

What about if the new passport is issued in Australia?

You will use your new passport when entering the country.

No need for the letter from your embassy to do the stamp transfer at immigration.

• Like 1

It seems that OP is renewing his/her Oz passport while in Thailand.

If the OP is currently here on a retirement extension, please note the following (as reported in another thread about 6 months ago):

At Immo/CW, they will want to see the bank book used to establish your financials (updated on the day of application to transfer stamps), with a one-year bank balance statement for the past 12 months, and photocopies of the bank book going back 12 months, in order to transfer the stamps.

Note: You will *not* need the bank letter affirming the bank balance:  just the updated book and one-year statement.

Hope this helps. 

(I tried to do my stamp transfers last Friday at CW and found this out -  though I was warned by this forum and forgot.)

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

It seems that OP is renewing his/her Oz passport while in Thailand.

If the OP is currently here on a retirement extension, please note the following (as reported in another thread about 6 months ago):

At Immo/CW, they will want to see the bank book used to establish your financials (updated on the day of application to transfer stamps), with a one-year bank balance statement for the past 12 months, and photocopies of the bank book going back 12 months, in order to transfer the stamps.

Note: You will *not* need the bank letter affirming the bank balance:  just the updated book and one-year statement.

Hope this helps. 

(I tried to do my stamp transfers last Friday at CW and found this out -  though I was warned by this forum and forgot.)

I got the stamps transferred when leaving the country. IO sent me to "re-entry counter" where it was done. No bank book, nothing required but signing a form. 

Can someone explain why this is even necessary Why can't the passport holder just say they want it transferred and get it done? Meaning we just successfully secured a new passport and if we didn't want it transferred, we wouldn't eff'n ask for itWhy would it be denied? Why do we need a special approvalAll that said, assuming it's the old guilty of something until the government says we're not, but really...what gives

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Can someone explain why this is even necessary Why can't the passport holder just say they want it transferred and get it done? Meaning we just successfully secured a new passport and if we didn't want it transferred, we wouldn't eff'n ask for itWhy would it be denied? Why do we need a special approvalAll that said, assuming it's the old guilty of something until the government says we're not, but really...what gives

Passport is the property of the issuing government.

The letter gives Thai immigration approval to transfer stamps etc. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

ustralian embassy no longer providing letter 

Previously they did.

They now provide stamp in new pp to authorize Thai immigration to transfer stamps. 

When I received my new PP, the Embassy put a stamp in the cancelled PP stating any valid visas remain valid, and referenced the new PP number.

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

When I received my new PP, the Embassy put a stamp in the cancelled PP stating any valid visas remain valid, and referenced the new PP number.

They have always done that and still do.

They also previously provided 'letter' to authorize stamp transfer.

Now they put stamp in new pp.

This has replaced need for letter. 

11 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Can someone explain why this is even necessary

Very good question. The only reason I can think of is that provincial Immigration Offices have not the training or the resources to identify any fake passports that are presented to them. If you enter at an airport the passport is scanned and verified, and the IO stamps you in - no need for any other proof. It doesn't seem to have occurred to anybody, however, that the letter that one has to obtain from the Embassy is well within the capability of any forger who could produce a passport. The one you get from the British Embassy is just a proforma, you have to fill in your details yourself. The same could be said about the stamp in a new Australian passport.

It's a bit of a farce, reflecting the low capability of most of Thai IOs. In their defence, however, they're offering an at the counter service, and must see an extraordinary range of passports from all over the world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Very good question. The only reason I can think of is that provincial Immigration Offices have not the training or the resources to identify any fake passports that are presented to them. If you enter at an airport the passport is scanned and verified, and the IO stamps you in - no need for any other proof. It doesn't seem to have occurred to anybody, however, that the letter that one has to obtain from the Embassy is well within the capability of any forger who could produce a passport. The one you get from the British Embassy is just a proforma, you have to fill in your details yourself. The same could be said about the stamp in a new Australian passport.

It's a bit of a farce, reflecting the low capability of most of Thai IOs. In their defence, however, they're offering an at the counter service, and must see an extraordinary range of passports from all over the world.

Best possible answer. I'm going with this! Seems more sensible now. ????

• Haha 1

Got my new OZ passport 'this year' had no problems getting the stamps transferred in Trat. I also put my new number in myself. edit; If you want them to post your new Passport back, instead of collecting it then, your current passport will be cancelled, so that means you will not be able to leave Thailand until you get the new one. not sure how long it takes now, but last year it took 7week and 4 days to arrive.

1904373407_IMG_20220809_142014(2).thumb.jpg.57d0e768641e6865f289223a1f88b3ea.jpg 

Edited by brianthainess

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

They have always done that and still do.

They also previously provided 'letter' to authorize stamp transfer.

Now they put stamp in new pp.

This has replaced need for letter. 

I had neither a letter nor a stamp in the new PP.

Immigration was happy to transfer necessary details based on the stamp in the old.

Replaced in 2020.