Marriage extension...Immigration Home Visit

51 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

Forget about extension based on marriage, i did it for the 1st 2 years, too invasive and too much hassle. 5 years ago i changed to retirement based extension, much simpler and easier

Exactly!!!

On 2/16/2023 at 6:39 AM, hotchilli said:

They will ask you your wife some questions, and ask the neighbours some questions, 

they will take photo's of you and your partner outside your residence showing the property number.

They will also take a multitude of photo's of you together inside the property.

They will take copies of your neighbours ID cards and they will have to sign the copies.

The whole thing might take 30 minutes to an hour.

If all is well they will leave.

All you have to do is then return to the IO office on your "under consideration" date [which they stamped in your passport] after they phone you and tell you your extension is ready (which might not be until after the date they told you) and get your passport stamped for the extension approval..

My experience as edited above. Everyone's experience may vary according to each office and officer. Whatever, it isn't a huge deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My experience as edited above. Everyone's experience may vary according to each office and officer. Whatever, it isn't a huge deal.

Clearly for many it is a huge deal going by posts in the thread and many other threads. 

IF I was married I would still do extensions based on retirement to avoid nonsense.. 

I don't accept random folk immigration or otherwise in my house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly for many it is a huge deal going by posts in the thread and many other threads. 

IF I was married I would still do extensions based on retirement to avoid nonsense.. 

I don't accept random folk immigration or otherwise in my house. 

I'd rather have one day of pain than tie up a large sum of money for months. Each to their own.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd rather have one day of pain than tie up a large sum of money for months. Each to their own.

I'm rich.

Sad for your plight. 

So sounds like visit is every year.

No kick back I assume.

eg Petrol money.

Do you need to pretend some enjoyment of the visit.

Offer coffee or whatever. 

In earlier years photo of husband and wife sitting on bed.

Think that not required anymore.

Very strange in my life rules.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm rich.

Sad for your plight. 

So sounds like visit is every year.

No kick back I assume.

eg Petrol money.

Do you need to pretend some enjoyment of the visit.

Offer coffee or whatever. 

In earlier years photo of husband and wife sitting on bed.

Think that not required anymore.

Very strange in my life rules.

Your post is rambling, idiotic and patronising, I wonder why that might be, on a Saturday night.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your post is rambling, idiotic and patronising, I wonder why that might be, on a Saturday night.

Read this thread and many others regarding option of extension based on marriage vs retirement.

If the financial requirements were the same no one would opt for marriage.

Hardly rambling.

To opt for extension based on marriage given much more paperwork requirements is clearly down to the very minimal financials.

Clear enough? 

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Post your personal home visit experience to update forum.

They vary from simple  asking for kick back to just a casual greeting.

Also from simple visit to asking for neighbors to be present.

Post personal experience to contribute. 

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read this thread and many others regarding option of extension based on marriage vs retirement.

If the financial requirements were the same no one would opt for marriage.

Hardly rambling.

To opt for extension based on marriage given much more paperwork requirements is clearly down to the very minimal financials.

Clear enough? 

Spending an hour compiling forms once a year to avoid tying up 800,000 for months (and why should I need to?) is minimal effort. Clear enough? If people are too lazy or don't have the ability to do that (and so waste money on an agent) then up to them. Same as opting for a marriage extension instead of a retirement one is up to me. Clear enough? Why should you care what I do?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:02 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

It is frustrating isn't it and rather bizarre when you are the prime interest yet you are totally ignored. Last time I went in to my local IO with my wife to get the feel of what they want there after a long absence and so a new visa,to come in, the friendly guy started rattling away at my wife in Thai, ignoring me. But she appeared confused. So he then turned to me and we got on fine in English. He concluded by saying to me " you obviously understand all this better than your wife". He turned to her and said in English " you need to pay attention and to look after your husband better".

I don't know what would happen on a house visit. The wife would need to wake up for a start! And we never speak with the neighbours after an argument about our power line which they lost after we involved PEA.

Anyway I was good for a retirement visa so went that much simpler route.

I think you both missed the point. You’re not the primary target here. They want independent evidence to validate your application. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Post your personal home visit experience to update forum.

They vary from simple  asking for kick back to just a casual greeting.

Also from simple visit to asking for neighbors to be present.

Post personal experience to contribute. 

My personal experience is irrelevant because, as you indicate, every one might be different.

But, since you asked, two IOs came, they copied the IDs of the neighbours from across the road and went off with a smile within 15 minutes. All good natured and I saluted them in fun as they left. One of them remembered visiting a few years back when I first applied.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why should you care what I do?

What part did you not understand.

For the benefit of forum readers what did your last home visit from immigration entail.

It would be one positive contribution. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But, since you asked, two IOs came, they copied the IDs of the neighbours from across the road and went off with a smile within 15 minutes. All good natured and I saluted them in fun as they left

Lovely experience for your neighbours to front up. 

Ridiculous requirements that many farang would not tolerate.

Good for you that you in a village with friendly neighbors 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Lovely experience for your neighbours to front up. 

Ridiculous requirements that many farang would not tolerate.

Good for you that you in a village with friendly neighbors 

I agree. I mean, we've only been married for 32 years, but they treat me as if I've just come over here last month to marry a local so that I could live in their self-proclaimed paradise on Earth.

As for the neighbours, they don't mind crossing the road to see the IOs. Probably makes their day more exciting. Someone different to natter with. I can see that it might be a problem for others.

• Like 1

I'm applying for non o based on retirement but also had the visit 2 days ago (i don't know why). We got told off for:

Not having a table ready for them to work at

Not having copied the ID cards and blue books of the neighbours 

Not having a printer to do the copies (had to go to village shop)

Not having the house number on the front of the house

Other than that it went well I think. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TimF said:

I'm applying for non o based on retirement but also had the visit 2 days ago (i don't know why). We got told off for:

So, what district?

2 minutes ago, TimF said:

What area is that...?

Where I am they have their own printer, and only Thai I.D. cards are needed by friends...????

I have been the 10th year on a retirement visa and considering to go for the marriage visa.

I am married with my Thai wife 21 years now, just moved to Isaan and bought a farm as retirement project.

And old man and his wife is already living on the farm as security guard and off course as local farmer we are picking up his skills and knowledge.

The family of the old man (truck and ecxcavator company)  helps us thankfully for caring of their parents, to get things done and also I myself have a very familiar relationship to all them.

In my vacations from offshore works we spend every day together but they are living about 10 Kilometers away, hence not relally considerable as neighbors.

But because of the support and actions taken toward the old couple, who's life didn't play well to them, as they lost all their properties in an inheritage case with their in law side, we have grown a huge status in the villages around and are well respected by the local community.

Does this provide enough proof to get the marriage visa?

Beside 400k in the bank instead of 800k which is not important for me because I have always way more savings on my account, does the marriage visa having any advantage regarding work permit?

I really don't mind the visits, it's the law hence I accept it as it is. 

Edited by Reginald Prewster

On 2/16/2023 at 7:52 AM, hotchilli said:

The visiting officers usually will call you in advance and book a time with you.
Sometimes the day before or the actual morning to see if it's convenient

I've had 3 visits, first when on a marriage extension and the later 2 on retirement extensions , not one was arranged in advance, they just arrived.

36 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

does the marriage visa having any advantage regarding work permit?

Only one as far as I'm aware and that is you will not need to change onto a non-B Visa, however the Labor Department who issue the actual Work Permits have a considerable list work categories that are for Thai's only.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

not one was arranged in advance, they just arrived.

Must depend on ones locality !!!! For an IO not to notify you on their visit is taking a big chance on you being in. Not really viable to drive 100+ km to visit someone who isn't in.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:57 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

I got my first home visit after about 13 years. Buriram IO. Have now been married 17 years.

First home visit after applied for 1st extension about 10 years ago.  Tried to get diesel money from me but I directed them to the PM in office at that time (Yingluk?).  They dropped it but then kept hinting at how they liked chicken soup.  I hinted in return that I liked pizza and starred at them as though desperate for a response. Lol.  They dropped it.  Actually nice guys who couldnt help but try to put one on.

They did come again one time.  Cant recall but it was during some crackdown where they were out trying to look like they really were doing their job.  We were home but somehow missed their calls at the gate.  Found out later from 2 neighbours that when they couldnt raise us at home they questioned 2 neighbours to ascertain that I lived here and that I did so permanently.  Seems that satisfied them as we never heard another thing.

Not a big drama.

6 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Only one as far as I'm aware and that is you will not need to change onto a non-B Visa, however the Labor Department who issue the actual Work Permits have a considerable list work categories that are for Thai's only.

Also I think you only need two Thai workers instead of four to get the work permit when you have a Thai wife?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

Make sure your neighbours bring their ID cards and blue house books, as it is likely that immigration will want to copy them. They did for my home visits.

It is quite funny that immigration is checking with neighbors if they know you... I live far from anyone in the mountains.. No neighbors know me.. Perhaps they know about me though through gossip. What to do in this instance? Neighbors are less likely to give their time to come chat with police at a given time, nor are they likely to have their house books with them or ID when the immigration police come.