Ordering new computer

Brickleberry

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's going to be the case for all laptops. try Dell in Bangkok for an Alienware laptop. Be prepared to pay. I prefer mini computers these days as I am only semi mobile and I just buy an external monitor if I don't want to travel with one. It's way cheaper and lighter (without the monitor). 

I just checked the TH & US dell sites.

In TH, the Alienware M15 gaming laptop is 94,000 Baht with 11th gen processor

In US, the same laptop is 48,000 THB (1,400 USD) with a 12th gen processor

Why is the price & tech so different?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

I see the M15 R6 at 93k locally and 88k on Amazon US. These are both 11th gen computers. 

7 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

On Dell's UK site the M15 R7 (they have no R6's listed) is +/- B56,000 with a 12th gen Intel and 512 SSD or B64,000 with 1TB.

Just sayin....

Yes, the prices are wildly different! The Thai product contains 11th gen, and is R6. The US model is 12th gen, and is R7, the latest model.

TH: https://th.dellexperience.co/product/alienware-m15-r6-32gb/

94,000 THB

US: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-m15-r7-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m15-r7-gaming-laptop

$1649 (56,000 THB)

EDIT: Dell charges an extra 200 bucks for 32GB over 16GB(usa). Considering your getting a 12th gen processor, I would say the difference is negligible.

Edited by Brickleberry

18 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Don't buy Dell in TH. Unlike US tech. support is remarkable here is hellish. 

Go for some Korean brands. 

Since whenever Dell was a pain in the behind, even Dell servers. 

Which Korean brands would you recommend?

20 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Don't buy Dell in TH. Unlike US tech. support is remarkable here is hellish. 

Go for some Korean brands. 

.... or buy Taiwanese.  I've been impressed with Asus.

At work we originally used all Dell laptops, and while on on-site repair was good, it was needed as they were very unreliable.

We switched briefly to Lenovo, but both reliability and servicing was very poor.  Then we swiched to Asus, and we've no experience of the servicing as they never go wrong.

All the laptops were used in the field and had a hard life.  Price wise, Dell was significantly higher in Thailand than the equivalent spec at the US head office, but Lenovo and Asus were lower cost than US.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

I'm happy with Samsung, my friend got LG for years. Unbreakable.

Built my desktops from Aliexpress shops and happy very much )

Do they produce anything similar to an M15? I didn’t see anything close. 

22 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Got my last laptop for half the price in TH using Amazon and Shipito. Arrived in 5 days from the US.

Sounds great. Obviously there was the shipping fee on top. And how was duty and VAT dealt with, did you have to pay them direct to Shipito’s delivery agent e.g. DHL or similar?

52 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

nope, Dell servers are state of the art, however I agree that almost everything else is not that great.

BTW Dell Alienware is not made by Dell but by Clevo, which is a very good company as well.

29 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

I'm happy with Samsung

were great before, abruptly losing their quality for the past few years

29 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

my friend got LG for years.

cheap chinese BS

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, fdsa said:

nope, Dell servers are state of the art, however I agree that almost everything else is not that great.

Not in TH. we ended with SuperMicro baremetal servers, but used to purchase Intel platforms. 

Dell is only the Dell if you can get their outstanding support. Here in Bkk it is just another overpriced hardware.

I met sysadmin at data center at Bangrak who tried to get thier famous "remote testing" service. Pathetic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ArnieP said:

Sounds great. Obviously there was the shipping fee on top. And how was duty and VAT dealt with, did you have to pay them direct to Shipito’s delivery agent e.g. DHL or similar?

Paid 7% VAT on my declared value and shipping fee using Shipito with Fedex, using a tax free address in US for Shipito. Saved about 1000USD on laptop price vs what I'd pay in TH. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Paid 7% VAT on my declared value and shipping fee using Shipito with Fedex, using a tax free address in US for Shipito. Saved about 1000USD on laptop price vs what I'd pay in TH. 

Thanks, will have to give it a try.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I've heard good things about their Legion models, they're quite reasonably priced too!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit; I looked at the specs, and the processors are very old - 6th gen for 50,000+ THB!

Edited by Brickleberry
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

I've heard good things about their Legion models, they're quite reasonably priced too!

Edit; I looked at the specs, and the processors are very old - 6th gen for 50,000+ THB!

IMHO there are only very few cases where users really need the latest and best. Computers which are 1 or 2 years old are still very good for almost anything (if they have enough RAM, etc.).

ThinkPads have since many years very good quality, great drivers support, etc. They also have great options like on site premium support when you buy them for reasonable prices.

If you don't care if the computer doesn't work for a week or two, then there are for sure cheaper options. But if you want a good product which if it fails (coffee spill, whatever) will be repaired within a day or two then ThinkPads are definitely a good choice.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

US have the lowest prices for electronics and when in Sales they will be unbelievably cheap. Can't compare US prices with Thailand prices. 

Edited by Xanthe

I was able to snag a 12th gen NUC for very nearly what I would've paid in the U.S.  Just gotta shop around.

The thing is silent, and even though it's a laptop CPU, it's unlocked since cooling isn't nearly the same issue, so plenty of performance.

I also like that I was able to put 32GB RAM in there.  A lot harder to do that with a laptop.

I can fit this thing in any hotel safe, and use the HDTV in the room.  And I still have my phone, which practically does everything I was going to do on my laptop anyways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

I ordered a ThinkPad X13 (X13-AMD-Gen 3) online and was able to choose the proc / the amount of RAM / the SSD / the screen etc.

Delivery time? less than 2 weeks.

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Thanks 1