US authorities seeking Thai woman who fled to Bangkok after fatal hit-and-run

snoop1130

3 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I’m not sure the actual circumstances of the accident are clear yet. Maybe the young man was drunk out of his skull or high as a kite (6 a.m. on New Year’s Day) and ran across the street just as she was passing through, who knows? 
Of course it’s very wrong to leave the scene of the accident and then fly to Bangkok three days later, but that doesn’t automatically mean that she is guilty of manslaughter. Guilty of leaving the scene of the accident, that’s for sure. Other than that, we don’t know yet. 

Hey, take it easy with the rational comments, that won't go down well with most members on this forum.

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

maybe the young man suddenly crossed the street and she couldn’t avoid hitting him. Or maybe

Maybe, 

It happens a lot in Thailand, hit an run. Then later they surrender themselves at a police station. Why do you think they do so ? All those are innocent drivers since they panicked ran away from the accident scene ? 
maybe ! 

57 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Regardless of the words used in the translation, being apprehended and held for extradition sure is being arrested.  If she was not arrested she would be free to leave not be available for extradition.

I haven't seen any mention of her being arrested or apprehended.  That is the point.  Emphasis is always that she is returning on her own free will.  If she was arrested/apprehended, she would not be acting on her own free will.

I wouldn't put it past the RTP to let her go on her own recognizance.  They are playing up the "high morals of Thai citizens" angle.  Wouldn't make any sense if she were behind bars, waiting extradition.

Edited by NotReallyHere

8 hours ago, The Theory said:

Maybe, 

It happens a lot in Thailand, hit an run. Then later they surrender themselves at a police station. Why do you think they do so ? All those are innocent drivers since they panicked ran away from the accident scene ? 
maybe ! 

Two possible reasons... the obvious one being they are under the influence of something. Secondly, if they remain at the scene they risk some retaliation by any relatives, friends or even simple looky-loos and end up getting a beating. 

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

It appears so, it happens all the time in Thailand?

Happens in the US as well. Hit and Run accidents are an issue.

How common are hit and runs in the US?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcsCipr-qDwFMQGASzFbi
National averages. In total, 4.6 out of every 10,000 motorists across the country have at least one prior hit and run violation.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:00 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

She probably thought she would get away with it or it was ok to do it because so many do the same in Thailand and are never caught and/or punished. 

Was going to say the same...Thai Style! 555

Do a runner is the way to go here, like the poor UK girl who is facing a 40k pounds bill...

Edited by Joseph98765
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Happens in the US as well. Hit and Run accidents are an issue.

How common are hit and runs in the US?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcsCipr-qDwFMQGASzFbi
National averages. In total, 4.6 out of every 10,000 motorists across the country have at least one prior hit and run violation.

Almost never happened in Holland (my home country) about 20 years ago, now it happens on an almost daily basis. Apparently it’s a sign of the times.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Almost never happened in Holland (my home country) about 20 years ago, now it happens on an almost daily basis. Apparently it’s a sign of the times.

People seem to have lost respect for others and think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and however they want without the consequences. Then when caught they blame others. The world has become a place for many where there lives matter more than others.  Just sad. Whatever happened to taking responsibility when you messed up....

On 2/16/2023 at 11:44 PM, NotReallyHere said:
On 2/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Regardless of the words used in the translation, being apprehended and held for extradition sure is being arrested.  If she was not arrested she would be free to leave not be available for extradition.

I haven't seen any mention of her being arrested or apprehended.  That is the point.

Yes, it is the point.  She was reported as being apprehended pending extradition to the US.  That you claim not to have seen the report  in the press is irrelevant.  

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:44 PM, NotReallyHere said:
On 2/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

I haven't seen any mention of her being arrested or apprehended. 

"The 57-year-old woman was arrested last week by the Royal Thai Police in Chonburi and appeared at a press conference beside Deputy National Police Commissioner Surachate Hakparn who told reporters that she was now in contact with US officials and would be extradited". 

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The 57-year-old woman was arrested last week by the Royal Thai Police in Chonburi and appeared at a press conference beside Deputy National Police Commissioner Surachate Hakparn who told reporters that she was now in contact with US officials and would be extradited". 

To prove me wrong you quote an unreliable news source (the Thai Examiner).  The TE stays she fled four days after the accident.  Wrong.  She fled two days after the accident (January 3rd).  The TE states she was "arrested last week" (which you so conveniently put in bold font).  Wrong, she was apprehended by the police the day prior to the news report (dateline 16 February).

Believe what you want, but you're not proving me wrong by quoting a clearly false news report.

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it is the point.  She was reported as being apprehended pending extradition to the US.  That you claim not to have seen the report  in the press is irrelevant.  

Oh, and here's a nice quote.  Google it yourself...  ABC News, CBS News, AP News, NY Post, The Detroit News, The Oakland Press (Tubtim's hometown paper) even the goddamned LaotianTimes.

We did not arrest her. After she knew the facts, she showed the intention to accept the punishment in the U.S.,” he said. “This will be a good example for Thai society.”

Get your <deleted> together, Lou...

Edited by NotReallyHere
typo

On 2/16/2023 at 6:18 PM, marin said:

I have lived here for 40 years and never heard that. Sounds like the same person who said if it rains on your head you will get sick. Folktales. 

I believe the law stipulates only one nationality, but as this is Thailand who cares - and would think there are thousands with dual citizenship. 2 in my family to start with. 

On 2/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, ThailandRyan said:

May she be successfully prosecuted for the manslaughter and the additional charges,  have her US citizenship revoked and then be deported back to Thailand after serving her time.

The US can only win in a denaturalization case in Federal court if theshe was not qualified  to get citizenship in the first place  or committed fraud on the application, not crimes the person is convicted of after naturalization. Remember the Nazi camp guard from Ohio? 

If Sue agrees to return voluntarily do they have to proceed with an formal  Extradition and the delays that might entail?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

Get your <deleted> together, Lou...

No need for you to worry about anyone else's <deleted> not being together.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1286917-thai-woman-faces-federal-charges-for-fleeing-the-united-states-after-michigan-hit-and-run-death/

Edited by Liverpool Lou

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1286917-thai-woman-faces-federal-charges-for-fleeing-the-united-states-after-michigan-hit-and-run-death/

Comment only highlights your lack of research skills and those of the Thai Examiner (which is the news source chosen by ASEAN NOW).

My assessment stands.

Oh, and another falsehood, she was not arrested in Chonburi.

Edited by NotReallyHere
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

Oh, and another falsehood, she was not arrested in Chonburi.

I appreciate your acknowledgement that, at least, she was arrested, though, albeit the location may have been misquoted by sources and I don't believe the source I quoted has any less credibilty than yours. 

By the way in order to be extradited the subject has to be detained and detainment is arrest.

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I appreciate your acknowledgement that, at least, she was arrested, though, albeit the location may have been misquoted by sources and I don't believe the source I quoted has any less credibilty than yours. 

By the way in order to be extradited the subject has to be detained and detainment is arrest.

Wrong.  Your English comprehension skills and spelling are as bad as your research skills.

And now we also have to call your judgement into question, if you place TE's credibility (note the spelling) on the same level as ABC News, CBS News, AP News, etc., despite the three blatant inaccuracies I pointed out.

Edited by NotReallyHere

On 2/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, ThailandRyan said:

May she be successfully prosecuted for the manslaughter and the additional charges,  have her US citizenship revoked and then be deported back to Thailand after serving her time.

I'm glad there is a nearly insurmountable bar to removing someone's US citizenship. I don't want government to have the power to weaponize denaturalization.

This case has nothing to do with the circumstances by which she attained citizenship. This woman will go through the legal system, be judged, and sentenced accordingly. There's zero chance she'll lose citizenship and even less chance she'll be deported anywhere.

• Thanks 1