Bangkok Debit Card Lotusised.

Why is it I always seem to have problems using my Bangkok debit card at Lotus stores. Regularly used at Big C, Homepro, Mr Do It Yourself etc with no problems, is it just that Lotus are employing poorly educated check out people or what?

• Confused 2

Never had a problem using SCB, Lioyds and Barclays debit cards at Lotus stores. When you say Bangkok card I assume that means Bangkok Bank. If so, maybe worth having a word with them to identify the problem. 

Edited by Thingamabob
One letter incorrect.

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Never had a problem using SCB, Lioyds and Barclays debit cards at Lotus stores. When you say Bangkok card I assume that means Bangkok Bank. If so, maybe worth having a word with them to identify the problem. 

I really don't need to bother doing that, if everyone else accepts the card and only one company, may I point out that I am not just referring to one Lotus store, does not then it is obvious who is at fault.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, NoshowJones said:

I really don't need to bother doing that, if everyone else accepts the card and only one company, may I point out that I am not just referring to one Lotus store, does not then it is obvious who is at fault.

You are 100% correct. This happens unfortunatey over here. For example last Wednesday I was paying my yearly car insurance renewal at Viriyah. I tried to pay with my UK mastercard which has over 7k credit limit and the girl twice tried the transaction and loudly shouted you are over your limit on the card, that I knew was wrong, very embarassing. Luckiy I had my UK visa card with me and it went through. I used the same mastercard at another store later and it was fine. My point is that this can happen over here for no reason at all.

Edited by jimn
  • Thanks 1

tap or chip inserted into the machine?

it's a known problem that Bangkok Bank's mastercard contactless for debit cards don't work unless you use the chip

the cashiers probably doesn't know this and see the contactless symbol and just try to tap the card

On 2/19/2023 at 1:44 PM, digbeth said:

the cashiers probably doesn't know this and see the contactless symbol and just try to tap the card

Most clerks I run into still seem unaware of the contactless payment option, and I have to tell them to please use that, as it should be more convenient for both parties, but several times I have found that my card fails on the first attempt, but succeeds at the second attempt.

Though I think this is only at Central Department Stores. Though I have since switched to using QR payment: Contactless is more convenient, but with Kasikorn (which I now use) the bank statement will just say “Debit Card” for all card payments, where with QR payments, there is some extra description of who the money was paid to.