10 years under Prayut Thailand lost money, opportunities and time – Pita Limjaroenrat

webfact

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

However I live in rural Thailand and haven't left the country since 2009.

I have not seen any changes for the better since the coup against Yingluck back in 2014.

What I have seen, though not personally, is the way that S112 has been systematically abused by the government, how free speech and freedom to protest ahs been severely curtailed, how many of the Thai youth are in jail without bail.

How before, during and after the last "free" elections certain political leaders were not allowed to take up there elected MP positions and their party disbanded and 6 million votes simply tossed in the bin and those voters effectively disenfranchised.

How the EC changed their own rules on how many votes were required to gain a party list seat, after the election.

You are preaching to the converted with me, as I am sure you know.

However there are those who see this country through a prism, a prism which concentrates on their interests, and excludes any consideration of what is actually happening in the country, and to it's people.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2023 at 3:03 AM, joecoolfrog said:

He ignores it because he and his cronies are doing just fine , nothing else is important in their world.

Sure.

I've been living/working in LOS nearly 35 years. Many years back I went to a lecture at the SIam Society. The panel was 3 very old Thai psychiatrict (2m, 1F), all historians of many decades. All spoke perfect English.

An audience member (western) asked about the role/place in society of the military.

In quick summary this gendered many comments / key words from the 3 panel members like the military leaders expect 'glorification' of the military as primary, necessary (somewhat connected to xxxxx on elephants engagedin wars).

Also comments that the older (and some younger) military seniors considered/expected all citizens to have total respect for the miliary as a thank you for the militaries winning of wars/sacrifices, etc.

And total respect because they 'lead' the country.

Also these older leaders expected that they should 'build' the future direction of the country and it should be followed without question.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, daveAustin said:

10 years under Prayut Thailand lost money, opportunities and time

What about freedom?

Would be assuming that you haven't spent too much [if any] time in Thai communities or interacted with Thais on a everyday basis. They're free, independent and self-sufficient as they've ever been. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sure.

I've been living/working in LOS nearly 35 years. Many years back I went to a lecture at the SIam Society. The panel was 3 very old Thai psychiatrict (2m, 1F), all historians of many decades. All spoke perfect English.

An audience member (western) asked about the role/place in society of the military.

In quick summary this gendered many comments / key words from the 3 panel members like the military leaders expect 'glorification' of the military as primary, necessary (somewhat connected to xxxxx on elephants engagedin wars).

Also comments that the older (and some younger) military seniors considered/expected all citizens to have total respect for the miliary as a thank you for the militaries winning of wars/sacrifices, etc.

And total respect because they 'lead' the country.

Also these older leaders expected that they should 'build' the future direction of the country and it should be followed without question.

As to be expected, your distinguished scholarly panel were bashfully hesitant to omit the key figure as such applies to Thai [Siamese] militarism and history associated. A most common avoidance among discussions/forums of this nature. 

Very few wish to challenge or question the true crux and reality. 

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:11 PM, cme said:

Roi Et is a rural province? But I have no knowledge of the farming community etc and just wrote about what I have seen. From a Farang point of view I think things have vastly improved over the past few years.

From a farang point of view, having lived both in Bangkok and in rural Thailand since 2001, nothing much has improved other than out here most of the moo bans are now connected to the main water supply from the big village.

It was cheaper and more efficient than building a dam, which has been in the planning stage for about 15 years.

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

From a farang point of view, having lived both in Bangkok and in rural Thailand since 2001, nothing much has improved other than out here most of the moo bans are now connected to the main water supply from the big village.

It was cheaper and more efficient than building a dam, which has been in the planning stage for about 15 years.

Living here as you do, I bow to your more relevant knowledge. My initial comments were just about the improvements I have seen over the past few years, I wasn't attempting to generalise or speak of the whole county.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cme said:

Living here as you do, I bow to your more relevant knowledge. My initial comments were just about the improvements I have seen over the past few years, I wasn't attempting to generalise or speak of the whole county.

The main advantage of living in Thailand full time is that you tend to see changes if and when they happen, especially out in the rural provinces. 

The last major change I saw was when they widened and resurfaced the route 1117 where I live from 2 narrow lanes to 2 much wider lanes with a m/c lane on each side. The big village went from 4 to 6 lanes each way to accommodate parking on market days,. and that was probably 10 years or more ago.

You tend to notice the difference more if you are away for a while and come back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Ain't dependency on development grand....

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 4:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Add to that the lost decades before that, when Thaksin was in charge, that is obviously bad news.

Imagine the judges would have removed Thaksin right away when he made those "honest mistakes" at the beginning of his premiership. No years with Thaksin, no coups, all could have been wonderful.

Thaksin would have been 100 times better than Prayuth. He noved the country forward, despite his sins.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1