Almost one year....and still nothing.

Piotr70

20 hours ago, timendres said:

I knew a Thai guy whose grandfather was murdered. The police knew his family had a good bit of money. When asked why the case had not moved forward, the reply was "100,000 baht would ensure prompt action". I believe you are mistaking a business operation for a public service.

Unfortunately you may have to grease some palms to get the ball rolling. 

23 hours ago, Piotr70 said:

Till today, I still haven't gotten anything: the competent authorities, if asked, always tell me that they are following the case, etc.etc. Would like to ask: is it normal to be like this, should I just wait and hope?

I have no idea about legal matters specifically, but it seems fairly common in these parts for people to lie, postpone and generally fob people off, rather than actually doing something complicated or difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The question is is it a criminal fraud or does he simply not return your money. If it is not a criminal act then the police is the wrong address. It is a "civil case" then and you need a lawyer. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thanks 1

Maybe right now there is a way if you contact a newspaper? As it seems many things happen right now about bribery within the RTP. And Big Joke is on many cases like this. Thailand don´t want to have bad reputation that is not good for the tourism. Maybe some comment on Chuwits Facebook? Making some noise?

On 2/17/2023 at 12:54 AM, Xanthe said:
On 2/16/2023 at 10:55 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe for you, but, so what, how does that help him?  Plenty of people buy expensive items, watches, for example, through online sellers, it's not a lot.

I cannot remember buying anything online for $5,000. Max I remember was $1,000.

So what?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:58 AM, ericthai said:

looks like you're new to Thailand, so I'll give you some advise, just move on. 

You can keep going back and hope you get something, but most likely it's a dead issue for them.

It's even possible they met with the scammer and the scammer paid them to make it go away and they will wait for you to give up. 

When I fist moved to Thailand this happened. My girlfriend's sister got into a fight with a neighbor and she was taken to jail, Later that night we got a call from the police that 30K THB and they will let her out of jail and make things go away. We paid she go out that night and that was the end of it. 

I've seen this happen a few times over the year. I'm not saying all the cops are bad, but they are very corrupt and most of the time if there is no money for them, then nothing is going to happen. 

Thats a old one, and you paid? 

I was offered to pay out a brother once, and it was big drama with risking long jailtime. I packed up and left! 

On 2/17/2023 at 12:06 AM, Piotr70 said:

I understand, speak and write Thai and walk in every two months at the police station where I filled the complain and always the same answer: we are following the case.i did not point the finger on the wrong person: I always spoke with him and only with him and they have all the printed screenshots of all the conversations between us plus all the bank transfer slip I have done to him. 

You need a lawyer coming with you to the station, that will give more pushing power. It also brings more costs.

On 2/17/2023 at 12:06 AM, Piotr70 said:

I understand, speak and write Thai and walk in every two months at the police station where I filled the complain and always the same answer: we are following the case.i did not point the finger on the wrong person: I always spoke with him and only with him and they have all the printed screenshots of all the conversations between us plus all the bank transfer slip I have done to him. 

May be you should give the Consumer Protection Board a try, have read quite a lot of positive reviews about.

https://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_en/main.php?filename=index___EN

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, Mickeymaus said:

The question is is it a criminal fraud or does he simply not return your money. If it is not a criminal act then the police is the wrong address. It is a "civil case" then and you need a lawyer. 

I paid for something that I never got and no get the money back.

1 hour ago, Piotr70 said:

I paid for something that I never got and no get the money back.

It is not easy or even impossible, especially if the other party is abroad. The police can't help and does not need to help. There is a long way to go before there is legal evidence that you should get your money back. And even if it is proven, it's another long road to really get it back. The police has nothing to do with it. It's for lawyers and courts.

Let's take an other example. There is a car accident and no one was hurt, but you expect your damage to be covered. The police has nothing to do with it if you do not get your money. However the situation is different if the other party has fled the scene of the accident. Then it is a crime and the police will take care of it.

Edited by Mickeymaus
Edit because editor switched some text to bold.

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

It is not easy or even impossible, especially if the other party is abroad. The police can't help and does not need to help. There is a long way to go before there is legal evidence that you should get your money back. And even if it is proven, it's another long road to really get it back. The police has nothing to do with it. It's for lawyers and courts.

Let's take an other example. There is a car accident and no one was hurt, but you expect your damage to be covered. The police has nothing to do with it if you do not get your money. However the situation is different if the other party has fled the scene of the accident. Then it is a crime and the police will take care of it.

In regards to the traffic accident, if there is property damage, the Police are involved and should be charging the offending driver with violating Land Transportation Act, Section 43(4) and section 157, whoever drives recklessly or dangerously and that action causes damage to another person’s assets shall be punished with a fine from 400 baht to 1,000 baht

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

In regards to the traffic accident, if there is property damage, the Police are involved and should be charging the offending driver with violating Land Transportation Act, Section 43(4) and section 157, whoever drives recklessly or dangerously and that action causes damage to another person’s assets shall be punished with a fine from 400 baht to 1,000 baht

It depends on the damage. Of course, if it is a major accident, they will come. I just wanted to emphasize that the police has nothing to do with "private" issues. Even if they want to help, legally there is nothing they can do. They could even get themselves into legal trouble trying to do someone a "favor" - as seen many times ????????

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

It depends on the damage. Of course, if it is a major accident, they will come. I just wanted to emphasize that the police has nothing to do with "private" issues. Even if they want to help, legally there is nothing they can do. They could even get themselves into legal trouble trying to do someone a "favor" - as seen many times ????????

And in my case, they are useless?

They have the power to frozen his bank account, for example. Am I right?

20 minutes ago, Piotr70 said:

And in my case, they are useless?

They have the power to frozen his bank account, for example. Am I right?

In your case the police is useless. They don't have the power to freeze the bank accounts. Legally it is not clear if he is guilty at all. The court has to decide this.

Perhaps you know the Boris Becker case. He has a lot of debt and many people try to get back their money. The police had nothing to do with this. The court ruled that he had to go to jail - but was released shortly afterwards. The people who expect money have been waiting to get something back for years and are still fighting and waiting. And in this case we are talking about many millions of Euros. 

28 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

In your case the police is useless. They don't have the power to freeze the bank accounts.

I am sorry if I insist, but I like the way you clarify everything: so, if they are useless:

1) Why report a complain to them?

2) This guy will be never be track down by them?

3) If I want to something happen, needs to hire a lawyer?

25 minutes ago, Piotr70 said:

I am sorry if I insist, but I like the way you clarify everything: so, if they are useless:

1) Why report a complain to them?

2) This guy will be never be track down by them?

3) If I want to something happen, needs to hire a lawyer?

If you find more people with the same problem then it might be a criminal act and you can go to the police. 

7 minutes ago, Piotr70 said:

I understand that I will not see a THB back.

The question is why he doesn't pay it back. If I steal 1000 baht, it's a crime and the police will take care of it. If I borrow 1000 baht without fraudulent intent and don't pay it back, the court will have to deal with it. If it is not clear that it is fraud, the court can decide. If it was fraud, it was a crime. If I just don't have any money, it wasn't a crime. The police cannot decide this, especially if you are only one person.

Police will do absolutely nothing because no chance of a windfall.

Try here:

https://www.consumersinternational.org/members/members/office-of-the-consumer-protection-board-of-thailand/

The office in Phuket helped me with a number of case more than a decade ago in Phuket.

However might now be a corrupt waste of time since the Junta took control.

13 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

The question is why he doesn't pay it back. If I steal 1000 baht, it's a crime and the police will take care of it. If I borrow 1000 baht without fraudulent intent and don't pay it back, the court will have to deal with it. If it is not clear that it is fraud, the court can decide. If it was fraud, it was a crime. If I just don't have any money, it wasn't a crime. The police cannot decide this, especially if you are only one person.

He doesn't pay back cause he never want to pay back. Got the money and never delivered what he must deliver.

3 minutes ago, Piotr70 said:

He doesn't pay back cause he never want to pay back. Got the money and never delivered what he must deliver.

Maybe he is bankrupt or maybe he is really a fraudster. Perhaps this consumer protection is a cheap way to help you. At least as a start. A lawyer - hard to say but you might lose even more. If the other party is in a foreign country, for instance China, then better forget it.