33 lecturers pass off purchased research papers as their own work

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

You don't really believe that, do ya?

More than likely ignored or swept under the rug. 

That rug and the Great Wall of China are the only 2 man-made structures that can be seen from the moon (The Clangers told me so!)

• Haha 1

"What absolute hogwash, I know of 6 lecturers in my department that used their Rajabhat degree to then study at non-Rajabhat universitys, both Masters and PhD" 

I would certainly like to know just which Thai university accepted their credits because it's my understanding that the credits are not transferable.  This is from several Rajabhat professors with creditable Phd degrees.

In a society and culture where appearance can have more value than fact, the ability to present one's self as educated by possessing a degree is common.

Learning how to obtain a degree by cheating, plagiarizing, purchase, payment, or from a diploma mill is perhaps the actual goal of a Thai education.

The skills required to graduate, as noted above, are life skills that can be invaluable in Thai society.

(NB Also common in other Asian counties.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

My son briefly taught in Hat Yai.  His headteacher rebuked him for trying to fail a student who rarely attended  classes and scored 3% in the exam.

Yes, sadly that's the way.

In the day, I use to teach MBA students and I failed everyone in a test. I was brought into the Assistant Deans office to explain why. I told them that not one had reached the pass mark. The Assistant Dean said "it is no wonder as there were no multiple choice questions in the exam" I kid you not.  I ended up being moved to a more lucrative contract the following week, in typical Thai saving face fashion. All the students apparently passed with their new Ajarn (was not a teacher) for their end of semester test, that I had failed them in.

We also need to remember that those with PhD's are usually not teachers and are very poor at teaching as they, as the name suggest lecture. It is two very different skills.

I do have two Thai male friends who are both holders of a PhD. Both did them overseas........

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dj230 said:

i have to say, having went to a thai university to check it out, quite a big one in bangkok, not very impressed by the quality of the professors.

By the look of your language shown here, I would say the professors weren't very impressed with you either.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

and many get their 'Grads' to write most of the paper and put their name to the said paper.

A standard and beneficial practice in biology research with postgrad and graduate research students. Head of lab oversees and guides research and is responsible for obtaining the research grants to fund the lab. Of course the grads write-they are reporting on what THEY have done. And of course he gets his name on the paper, generally last on author list, being responsible for the work that emerges from his/her lab

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Won't he have to join the army first then get a Military Academy education, then learn the lies from a real politician?

Sounds akin to a top hiso family that we're all familiar with...

????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes, sadly that's the way.

In the day, I use to teach MBA students and I failed everyone in a test. I was brought into the Assistant Deans office to explain why. I told them that not one had reached the pass mark. The Assistant Dean said "it is no wonder as there were no multiple choice questions in the exam" I kid you not.  I ended up being moved to a more lucrative contract the following week, in typical Thai saving face fashion. All the students apparently passed with their new Ajarn (was not a teacher) for their end of semester test, that I had failed them in.

We also need to remember that those with PhD's are usually not teachers and are very poor at teaching as they, as the name suggest lecture. It is two very different skills.

I do have two Thai male friends who are both holders of a PhD. Both did them overseas........

Unfortunately, your brief relays to how how things really are and how things always have been. 

They'll continue not to recognize the illusions that they've created for themselves. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Especially those teaching English grammar....?

My wife is a Thai university Asociate Prof, PhD (not a Thai PhD) and would run rings around all fly-in, fly-out pretend farang (so called) teachers' who supposedly know how to teach English grammar. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Especially those teaching English grammar....?

lol im guessing english arts degree?

9 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

And just how did you quantify being "not very impressed by the quality of the professors."?....Research paper publications, student excellence qualities, language mastery?? 

Past education, work experience, knowledge about the courses/programs, knowledge about the industry that they're teaching

To be fair, most professors aren't that great, there are very few professors that are exceptional at teaching and typically they are at the top colleges in USA, i.e MIT and Stanford

For example, in MIT, SEC head Gary Gensler is teaching some courses, he's an exceptional teacher.

Edited by dj230

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

My wife is a Thai university Asociate Prof, PhD (not a Thai PhD) and would run rings around all fly-in, fly-out pretend farang (so called) teachers' who supposedly know how to teach English grammar. 

Then she's an exception.

Even Thai teachers who teach English grammar can't eem to hold a decent conversation in English.

At least the temporary fly in teachers give the students some practical experience.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

What does that say about your teaching abilities

I take it you have never taught in a Thai school with such statements! I often saw new Native English speaking teachers have their exams handed back and told to remark them! There was nothing wrong with their teaching ability. Quite often when a child fails exams their parents pull them from the school and put them into a school that will pass them and the result is all must pass and the children know it. I personally refused to alter marks and told the principle if he wanted to it was upto him.

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

Rather ironic, under closer examination, that a confounding percentage of native English-speakers [educated or not] are terribly ignorant regarding the base structures of the language. 

In defence, it most certainly is an enigmatic, extensive and twisted language.

7 hours ago, BritScot said:

I take it you have never taught in a Thai school with such statements! I often saw new Native English speaking teachers have their exams handed back and told to remark them! There was nothing wrong with their teaching ability. Quite often when a child fails exams their parents pull them from the school and put them into a school that will pass them and the result is all must pass and the children know it. I personally refused to alter marks and told the principle if he wanted to it was upto him.

Why would any teacher remain teaching in such a school, or Thailand even if that is the norm.

We are led to believe that Teachers and other Professionals do not choose to live in Thailand because of the Bar scene and the Ladies of the night.

They come for more Noble reasons, I'd imagine job satisfaction would be paramount to them.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed. In a country where pupils never fail any year of lower/middle schooling it is little surprise they flounder and resort to cheating later in life.

The kids never learn any life lessons and can not understand what a setback is.

Sadly, the blind leading the blind.????????

I think most Thais understand a set back. Life here is not easy for tens of millions, wake up. Most earn 15-25k pm and many work long hours often in hardship for that pittance

Can't fail students for a variety of reasons. Society won't pay for it just for starts. That's true nearly the world over

Edited by SuperSilverHaze

14 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Then she's an exception.

Even Thai teachers who teach English grammar can't eem to hold a decent conversation in English.

At least the temporary fly in teachers give the students some practical experience.

No argument there, and yes- many Thai teachers have a problem with spoken English but that's the result of the education system, and agree some fly in "teachers" do and are very useful imparting practical language experience. 

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

To be fair, I don't think people actually claim that foreign teachers are really able to "teach" English grammar.  We (foreigners) don't really "study" it when we're at school, so it would take a lot of preparation to be able to teach in any detail, and the Thai students still might not understand (or care).  It's more that they (potentially) provide a model and can error correct.  They pretty much teach whatever's in the textbook, while the Thais teach the real nuts and bolts of grammar, in Thai.

You certainly wouldn't (or perhaps shouldn't) find a fully qualified foreign teacher teaching in a Thai government school.  Unless they are retired, incredibly charitable, or perhaps an eccentric millionaire.  The pay and benefits (or lack thereof) are pretty much in line with the talent they are able to attract.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know many teachers who are incredibly frustrated at being forced to conduct so much research. My local university expects papers to be published in q1 journals yet refuse to invest in top quality facilities required to do so. Even with those facilities, English is still a major hurdle. 

I have met a number of Professors and Associate Professors in the medical field, over the past 20 years in the North. Some have held quite prestigious teaching positions at the University and also consult as an expert consultant in their area of expertise. In two cases, I am appalled by their weak levels of knowledge and appalled at their work ethic and behavior, I would no more allow them to provide me with medical advice than I would anyone I meet in the street. It is clear that a professorship is a fast track to improved earnings power and a great advertising aid, caveat emptor.