Easiest way to go between highway 4 and highway 2 without going through Bangkok traffic?

Issanman

Soon I will drive from Phuket to Bueng Kan and back again in a 4 door pickup and would like to do it this time without going too near to Bangkok.

I don't mind driving on highways 2 and 4. It's the BKK mess in between them that I don't like.

Is there an easier way around the west side of BKK without getting into the BKK traffic?

Its that stupid Rama 2 traffic section with all of the construction.  When thats finished it will be great.  Headed that way this weekend for the GF's brothers birthday.  Then make a run on Tops Club to reload the coffee and Sparkling Italian water, plus maybe a few other items.  Was thinking Monday would be the best day to return here to PKK.

• Like 2

Another way is to use Malaiman Road once you get to Nakhon Pathom and turn right before the Kasetsart Kampaengsaen campus. This skips the busy traffic out of Nakhon Pathom, Salaya roadworks/contraflow on 338 and most of the very busy Kanchanapisek (9). 

No route is perfect during busy times, but I find this way less stressful as the cars keep moving. 

Screenshot_2023-02-21-17-20-34-719_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have done that trip several times, there is no easy way that I have found, and Thai friends and relatives have told me the same. Three weeks ago I was southbound and got stuck in a traffic jam exiting off of 9 for two hours, we were travelling with another party and on our return we split off and they used 9 to try to go around Bangkok to the West, while we used 9 to go around Bangkok to the East. Our direction had a few slow traffic areas but was not stop and go, they got stuck in a traffic jam for nearly three hours. I believe the area we got stuck southbound was when exiting off of 9 to 35. The traffic was backed up for many,many kilometers before the exit and then are many toll booths side to side coming onto 35 and because of construction all of the traffic passing through the toll booths has to funnel down to about three unmarked lanes. It was horrible.

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for suggesting Google Maps. But I would rather hear about actual real-life driving experiences from actual human beings rather than computer recommendations. That’s why I am on this forum. 

We stopped at a hotel on 4 this afternoon in Nakhon Pathom near 338 after driving nearly 12 hours today. Leaving out early in the morning to try and miss the traffic. If it is still a mess, then I will try alien365s suggested route on the return trip in a week or so. 
850 km today and about 750 km tomorrow. A thousand miles. 
Thanks for all the suggestions. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Issanman said:

Thank you guys for suggesting Google Maps. But I would rather hear about actual real-life driving experiences from actual human beings rather than computer recommendations. That’s why I am on this forum. 

Google maps will give you the best route for that moment in time, regardless of what ‘bob’ on AN or any other forums encountered last month or last week etc…

Give your travel day and you may get some solid local advice otherwise the AI of Google maps with its ‘current route conditions’ is the best info you’ll find for such a simple trip.

Best option I’ve found when planning ahead is to check Google maps at the same time / day a week earlier etc…

Google maps is also excellent for real time congestion avoidance… caused by an accident etc… 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 2/21/2023 at 5:31 PM, alien365 said:

Another way is to use Malaiman Road once you get to Nakhon Pathom and turn right before the Kasetsart Kampaengsaen campus. This skips the busy traffic out of Nakhon Pathom, Salaya roadworks/contraflow on 338 and most of the very busy Kanchanapisek (9). 

No route is perfect during busy times, but I find this way less stressful as the cars keep moving. 

Screenshot_2023-02-21-17-20-34-719_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

this is the route i would choose

10 hours ago, blackshadow said:

do you know how to use google maps

helpful comment

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Google maps will give you the best route for that moment in time, regardless of what ‘bob’ on AN or any other forums encountered last month or last week etc…

Give your travel day and you may get some solid local advice otherwise the AI of Google maps with its ‘current route conditions’ is the best info you’ll find for such a simple trip.

Best option I’ve found when planning ahead is to check Google maps at the same time / day a week earlier etc…

I’ve done all of that. Thank you. 
Just looking for past human experience about this matter.
I already know very well what Garmin and Google suggest. 
Computers don’t know everything.