Masks and all

HerewardtheWake

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

She does that not because of a dislike for farangs but it is a convention here in Thailand that serving staff always wear masks, at least they do in Pattaya. When a customer arrives she puts on a mask. Quite normal behaviour.

It's noticable, she's got an attitude for some reason. My other street food places don't wear masks. I reckon she foolishly thinks farang are bringing covid

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Are you suggesting The Cochrane Library is right wing?

"Cochrane is an international network with headquarters in the UK, a registered not-for-profit organization, and a member of the UK National Council for Voluntary Organizations.

Cochrane is for anyone interested in using high-quality information to make health decisions. Whether you are a clinician, patient or carer, researcher, or policy-maker, Cochrane evidence provides a powerful tool to enhance your healthcare knowledge and decision-making".

No, I'm saying the daily mail is right wing and low factual reporting.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's noticable, she's got an attitude for some reason. My other street food places don't wear masks. I reckon she foolishly thinks farang are bringing covid

Well, I can't claim she isn't biased. My experience is the overwhelming majority of street food vendors wear masks and virtually all indoor serving staff wear them. That's all. Certainly mask wearinh among the general population has fallen off but not among serving staff outside of bars.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just flew with ANA(BKK-NRT-LAX and back)  Masks were mandatory.  All passengers were constantly advised that you can only take the masks to eat or drink. I flew Singapore Airlines last fall and masks were optional.  It looks like in some places "masks are here to stay". 

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

She's 3rd choice currently when others are closed, foods the best

She hates you because of how you look.   despises you so much she wears a mask.  You probably get her mad and raise her blood pressure just by showing up.  You take time and give her money!!!!

I don't care if she's a 5-star chef........... this is food made with hate, not love.   lol

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

She hates you because of how you look.   despises you so much she wears a mask.  You probably get her mad and raise her blood pressure just by showing up.  You take time and give her money!!!!

I don't care if she's a 5-star chef........... this is food made with hate, not love.   lol

Very few street vendors hate regular customers who give them money, absent some other reason.

• Like 1

Just now, cooked said:

Possibly because only right wing publications are mentioning this. At last count, since Covid began, I think it was 28 studies made on mask wearing, Nearly all indicated that mask wearing against an air born virus is pointless. Instead of reacting "Oh, Daily Mail, so it's rubbish", maybe you should read it and follow the references to the scientific studies that have beeen done. Surgical masks are for use during surgery, they stop bits of bone and blood spattering on to the carers' eyes, nose and mouth. 

I had to go to an extremely extreme further right than Hitler to get this reference, maybe you should do some research too: https://www.cureus.com/articles/93826-correlation-between-mask-compliance-and-covid-19-outcomes-in-europe#!/

I have quoted a number of credible sources from medical authorities other than media outlets in various threads to support that masks reduce the spread of covid by non trivial amounts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Possibly because only right wing publications are mentioning this. At last count, since Covid began, I think it was 28 studies made on mask wearing, Nearly all indicated that mask wearing against an air born virus is pointless. Instead of reacting "Oh, Daily Mail, so it's rubbish", maybe you should read it and follow the references to the scientific studies that have beeen done. Surgical masks are for use during surgery, they stop bits of bone and blood spattering on to the carers' eyes, nose and mouth. 

I had to go to an extremely extreme further right than Hitler to get this reference, maybe you should do some research too: https://www.cureus.com/articles/93826-correlation-between-mask-compliance-and-covid-19-outcomes-in-europe#!/

Do some better research please, the Cochrane research is not a study in itself but research of many studies including influenza and there conclusions are inconclusive.  So if you want to play the game look at the real article and read it all the way through.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cooked said:

Of course. As I sort of mentioned, the majority (majority) of studies show that masks are useless. Medical authorities? The CDC? come on man. 

Sorry, I'm taking the advice of medical authorities (not just the CDC) over media with a proven bias every time. Masks haven't hurt me yet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cooked said:

Science fact checking says this author's conclusions are flawed and wrong. Read the full article linked below that explains why, as I'm limited in how much of it I can quote here.

Scientific evidence shows that mask-wearing is effective at limiting community transmission; claims that face masks increase mortality are based on flawed correlation studies

"Well-designed studies that account for confounding have reported that widespread mask-wearing reduces the spread of COVID-19 in the community.

More importantly, Spira and Foegen’s analyses are fundamentally flawed and don’t support their own conclusions.

In their current form, the studies aren’t equipped to tell us whether there is a causal relationship between mask-wearing and a higher risk of death from COVID-19. The failure to recognize this limitation is known as the ecological fallacy."

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/scientific-evidence-shows-mask-wearing-effective-at-limiting-community-transmission-claims-face-masks-increase-mortality-based-on-flawed-correlation-studies/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

The main cause of human to human airborne transmission of any virus is through water droplets expelled from an infected person, usually through coughing, sneezing, speaking, or even just breathing. Once these droplets evaporate and/or fall to the ground or other surfaces the virus may either sit there, adsorbed to dust surfaces, or be truly air carried, by wind or other means, until it dies.  Wearing a mask when an infected person isn't is not going to fully protect you, as the virus could still land on your clothes, skin, outside of the mask, or surfaces you brush against.  On the other hand, wearing a mask when you are infected is a very effective way to prevent these droplets spreading as you exhale them*.  It prevents both direct person to person transmission, and infected droplets from contaminating surfaces.  You are not wearing a mask to protect yourself, you are wearing one to protect others.  You may well argue that you don't have covid, but how can you be sure that everyone around you is free from it?  You may as well argue that you don't need to wear a seatbelt because you're not going to crash, when you can't guarantee that someone else won't crash into you.

*For anyone doubting the effectiveness of a mask against exhaled water droplets, I have a simple challenge.  Stand facing someone, both without masks on, and have them cough, splutter and sneeze into your face.  Then both put on masks and do the same to them.

• Like 1