My thai friend suffers from Pyromania.

ubonr1971

13 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

what brand is your purifier. where do I buy one from? how often do you have to change the filters or only cleaning? thanks

In reply to your questions:

a. Xiaomi Smart Air Purifier 4 Pro

b. I have purchased 6 units.  They are amazingly good.

c. These machines calculate when filters must be replaced.  Therefore, replacement time will correlate with the amount of dust in the air, and the airflow. I.E. the software of the machine obviously uses level of dust and airflow to calculate when the filter must be changed. The filters are about Bt.800.00, and two or three filters should last a full year.

d.  Where to buy?  You can buy online.  Or, you can buy from a local retailer.

Personally, I HIGHLY recommend this machine.  The fan motor is silent and strong.  Without doubt, this is the best thing I ever purchased in my life.

I purchased it several years ago during the last HORRIFIC Smoke Storm, a few years ago.

(Hopefully, the quality of the Xiaomi has not changed since then.)

If you find this information helpful, please give me a LIKE.

Thank you.

(Even my dentist uses these machines in their offices.  It's a dynamite machine.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

And, NOW, a Public Service Announcement

You might be able to make your own Air Purifier using just a box fan, etc.

Please just check this link.

No need for bells and whistles.

This type of DIY air purifier is evaluated in this link...

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41810-022-00152-7

Also, this linked article is NOT the only study of its kind.  There are plenty more studies comparing DIY air purifiers to those of various manufacturers.

The only problem, maybe, is that, in the real world, living in a Thailand house, it is almost impossible to prevent quite a bit of outside air from entering your abode, anytime the wind blows.

Thailand houses were never designed to keep out the outside air.

Heat insulation is almost nonexistent in many Thailand houses.

Therefore, IMHO, when one uses an air purifier, of any brand, one is still fighting a losing battle, as the outside air will, inevitably, continue to flow in, and there is really no remedy for this problem, other than to build your own house.

OR, there is another remedy, actually:

Just become another Boy in The Bubble...

image.thumb.jpeg.3f9a48087e0b76f7e00a6d13279a3483.jpeg

So...

In fact...

Looking at this photo....

I bow down, and I thank the gods.

I thank the gods that I can breathe the air, and the smoke, too.

Be GRATEFUL for the air you breathe,

No matter how smoky.

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Direct quote from California...

Sorry.

Should have provided attribution.

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

What country are you talking about here especially in regard to the last sentence. Sounds like America or another nanny state. 

FYI on thailand.... people burn <deleted> whenver they want and whereever they want. In fact I live in the cbd of a small city. Some idiot near us burns plastic at 2am sometimes. 

I had to laugh at your narrative 'all permit holders'. I dont think the local farmers would understand what the hell you are talking about...

In Western nanny states, you need a permit to change the color of your house, install a different type of front door, plant vegetables in your yard, and sooner or later - ask a woman out on a date. Actually that might already be illegal due to draconion sexual harassment laws.

Thais tell me all about how the workplace is where people meet their mia nois. I tell Thais that in Farangland, the workplace is where you get sued by women for appearing to show the slightest hint of interest, so you wouldn't even dare to wink at a woman, or heaven forbid, ask her if she wants to grab some lunch with you. MeToo caused an incredible amount of paranoia. But Thais couldn't believe me. It simply didn't register in their minds.

You can get sued into bankruptcy if someone trips on a rock in your front yard.

People call the police if a harmless man with dreadlocks is walking through their neighborhood.

No loitering signs in parks, even though that's the point of having a park in the first place.

Imagine the hell we would be in if Farangs forced their nanny state regulations onto Thailand.

Enjoy your day-to-day freedom in Thailand, and don't let the cranky Farangs take it away!

Edited by RamenRaven

Realistically speaking, Hawaii is probably the single best answer and solution to most of the complaints I have ever heard voiced on the Farang Pub.

Concerning the Smoke issue, I have never breathed a fresher breath of air in all my life than the breath I first breathed, stepping off the plane in Hawaii, in 1970. The winds have not changed too much in recent years, although people are worried.

This fresh air is the result of the trade winds blowing NE to East-North-East, bringing cool and clean balmy air, anytime you want.  There is no need for air purifiers in Hawaii.

In Hawaii, there are regulations to prevent neighbors from burning down your fences, obviously.  In fact, in Hawaii, nobody knows much about fences, either. Why would you even need a fence in Hawaii?

The trade winds do not blow steadily all the time, of course.  And, the trade winds have been diminishing recently, which is just about the only thing Hawaiians worry about.

Therefore, in reply to the OP,  if anyone might be overly concerned about burning trash, burning fences, burning anything, then please go to Hawaii.

I have been to Hawaii two times, once just stopping off on my way to Tokyo, and once when I lived in Hawaii for a spell.

Hawaii is not a big place. And, it is not so easy to get from one island to the next.

I think that most farang would like Hawaii.  In Hawaii, you will never be called "farang".  In Hawaii, they call you HOWLIE, instead.

Howlie or Farang, both terms mean basically the same thing.  And, I never complain. Why should I?  I am comfortable in my own skin.

So, anyway, I just wanted to provide a possible alternative suggestion as a place for you to live, if you do not like the smoke, and you do not like being referred to as a farang (which I actually LIKE!).

BUT, you know what?

Thailand is just SO MUCH BETTER than Hawaii, you would not believe, unless you had lived in Hawaii.

I probably could live anywhere, or almost anywhere.

But, I would not live anywhere but here, given my preference, for so many reasons.

SO THEN.....

Should I complain too much about the place I love so much?

This doesn't seem fair, does it....

I REALLY DO NOT CARE about the smoke...Honestly.

It's not the smoke that bothers me.

What bothers me is the aircraft, overhead, and the roosters, underfoot.

I cannot change the smoke, even if I wanted to.

But, I CAN move away from overflying aircraft.

So easy to do, really.

After quite a few years, here... I have just about ZERO to complain about...

Too True!!!

My only complaint is that I do not have a few BILLION, like Larry.... (maybe).

Here are some of Larry's GFs...on his private island of Lanai...

image.thumb.jpeg.db345af05f0ff7d67929879c9551a818.jpeg

Not bad...

BUT, I have seen FAR BETTER in Thailand, at the uni.

• Love It 1

my Brother is a pyromaniac , when we were kids he loved setting fire to things , he was in trouble for it with my mum , and at school, we was in Boy scouts he could light fires with wet wood in the rain  with no matches, lighter or petrol ,,after he got his Chemistry and Physics degrees  he went on to work on Nuclear weapons  for a few years ,,thats big pyromania but he never let one off ,, now he designs  engine management systems for the  auto industry .Still loves lighting fires  though

Edited by liddelljohn
  • Sad 1

Let's suppose that one day the Farangs revolt and set up their own community called Farangville in Thailand. Unfortunately, Farangville also includes some Thai households.

Jimmy Jones wakes up one day to find out that Somchai was burning leaves and sticks.

He calls 911. "There's an unhinged man setting fires everywhere. Asian male, about 40 years old, black hair, brown eyes. I don't know if he's got a matchbox or machete, so he might be armed and dangerous. I read on the web that it's a mental illness called pyromania, so this is a seriously deranged individual. He's going to burn down the whole neighborhood. There are kids here with their lives in danger, and this is in blatant violation of State Code 245.3 and our County and Municipal laws!"

The fire department, K-9 units, and multiple police units in their Ford Crown Victorias arrive within 5 minutes.

Somchai: "Sawatdii khrap" and wais.

"Don't move! Put your hands up, faced towards me! I said don't put your hands together!" Guns drawn, completely surrounding Somchai.

Somchai looks confused and walks towards the officers.

"I said don't move, get on the ground!"

Somchai, confused as ever, doesn't know how to respond and gets tased. He pleads for mercy.

"Don't talk back! That's obstruction of justice and resisting arrest. You're in violation of State Code 245.3, which is a felony that can get you decades in state prison. And don't get me started on the multiple violations that you've just committed. So get in the police car!"

And ever since then, there were no more open-air fires in Farangville.

Now isn't Farangville a great place to retire and call home?

Edited by RamenRaven

2 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

my Brother is a pyromaniac , when we were kids he loved setting fire to things , he was in trouble for it with my mum , and at school, we was in Boy scouts he could light fires with wet wood in the rain  with no matches, lighter or petrol ,,after he got his Chemistry and Physics degrees  he went on to work on Nuclear weapons  for a few years ,,thats big pyromania but he never let one off ,, now he designs  engine management systems for the  auto industry .Still loves lighting fires  though

Wow, Man, is your brother in any way related to General Curtis LeMay? 

Psychologically speaking, I suppose you know that pyromania goes hand-in-hand with other aberrant behavior such as torturing cats, and serial murder. 

In my humble opinion, pyromania is a form of psychosexual illness, closely related to necrophilia, but even more untreatable. 

Fortunately for you and your parents, your brother was able to just barely keep himself on the rails. 

But thank you for sharing. 

Also, as I know that you know, most, if not all, of us are not in our right minds. 

We are all, each one of us, living in our own private worlds of quiet desperation. 

Just one stressor too many, and then, we go off the rails. 

Think of Michael Douglas and his vanity license plate... 

D-FENS 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Let's suppose that one day the Farangs revolt and set up their own community called Farangville in Thailand. Unfortunately, Farangville also includes some Thai households.

Jimmy Jones wakes up one day to find out that Somchai was burning leaves and sticks.

He calls 911. "There's an unhinged man setting fires everywhere. Asian male, about 40 years old, black hair, brown eyes. I don't know if he's got a matchbox or machete, so he might be armed and dangerous. I read on the web that it's a mental illness called pyromania, so this is a seriously deranged individual. He's going to burn down the whole neighborhood. There are kids here with their lives in danger, and this is in blatant violation of State Code 245.3 and our County and Municipal laws!"

The fire department, K-9 units, and multiple police units in their Ford Crown Victorias arrive within 5 minutes.

Somchai: "Sawatdii khrap" and wais.

"Don't move! Put your hands up, faced towards me! I said don't put your hands together!" Guns drawn, completely surrounding Somchai.

Somchai looks confused and walks towards the officers.

"I said don't move, get on the ground!"

Somchai, confused as ever, doesn't know how to respond and gets tased. He pleads for mercy.

"Don't talk back! That's obstruction of justice and resisting arrest. You're in violation of State Code 245.3, which is a felony that can get you decades in state prison. And don't get me started on the multiple violations that you've just committed. So get in the police car!"

And ever since then, there were no more open-air fires in Farangville.

Now isn't Farangville a great place to retire and call home?

Farangville 

(Just the term seems uproariously amusing.) 

What about Howlieville? 

If one cannot poke fun at oneself, then what's the point of living. 

We can't hide from history. 

Neither can we hide from ourselves. 

One should always try to see through the glass less dimly. 

• Love It 2

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If one cannot poke fun at oneself, then what's the point of living. 

We can't hide from history. 

Neither can we hide from ourselves. 

One should always try to see through the glass less dimly. 

Well said.

In any case, I've been watching too much South Park. That's where I got the idea for the silly satirical story.

22 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Nothing like a good fire.

Almost hypnotizing. 

I’m with the OP - I’d be raging. He’s cleared all that bush wast

e, and some gadj sets it on yag when he’s not there to see it. That’s like someone torching your bonfire on November 4th.

if I was a Raj, I’d chop off one of his hands so that he could never strike a match again, and warn him that if he started a fire on my property again I’d cut off the other one so’s he couldn’t work a lighter. But I am not, maybe I am too easy-going.

• Love It 1