Eating too much sodium blamed for high rate of kidney disease in Thailand

snoop1130

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

A banana will give you a good amount of potassium, as will a medium sized potato, and many other easy to eat/prepare foods, such as oats, beans, etc.  No need to get too 'elitist' about any one food.

It's nothing to do with being elitist and I have no idea where that comes from. I mention avocados as they are a food that most people like, are inexpensive and are very high in potassium. The bottom line is that many consume a diet high in sodium and a banana, a potato (or 2) just won't cut it. There's simply not enough potassium there to offset the sodium. If you have an issue with high consumption of sodium, you can offset it with potassium but you need foods that are very high in potassium or a high quantity of foods with moderate potassium. For example, leafy greens are high in potassium but you'd need to eat a lot of them.

• Like 2

if that bad, they should have a screening program for early detection.

There are 4 stages, so catching early and controlling progress, including medication, would solve problem.

Because there is a serious issue with transplants, doctors should ask family members to contribute. That also increases chances for successful operation, immune system won't overreact 

• Thumbs Up 1

2015 in Hospital with Stage 5 CKD,  told to cut out salt, fish sauce, Diet drinks , eat red meat rarely, or I would be on Dialysis  

= 7 years of stage 3, so changing what one eats works, will see next month as is my yearly Blood work checks

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

It's nothing to do with being elitist and I have no idea where that comes from. I mention avocados as they are a food that most people like, are inexpensive and are very high in potassium. The bottom line is that many consume a diet high in sodium and a banana, a potato (or 2) just won't cut it. There's simply not enough potassium there to offset the sodium. If you have an issue with high consumption of sodium, you can offset it with potassium but you need foods that are very high in potassium or a high quantity of foods with moderate potassium. For example, leafy greens are high in potassium but you'd need to eat a lot of them.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that probably.  The point I wanted to make is that although a food may not be the best it can still be useful- bananas have a fair amount, are very cheap, convenient, and almost everyone seems to like them. 

We all need potassium of course, but in any case it isn't as easily assimilated as sodium I think, so using it to offset excess sodium intake won't really work.

I just spoke to one of my doctor English students, who immediately mentioned 'MSG', as being the major cause.  Apparently in the noodle bar restaurants, etc, it goes in by the bag full.  If there is one single culprit it's likely that, which kind of figures because there's a lot of salt in the western diet, but probably much less MSG.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

It depends what one is doing for work. v

Work in the building industry and farming ,outdoor work one will sweat a lot so 3.6 Gram off Salt a day isn't even enough to make up the salt one lost from sweating all day.

Or when doing sports in the heat or I guess being in the sun in Thailand is hot enough to sweat out lot of salt

• Like 2

Not allowed to use Thai script I believe according to forum rules but if you read labels like I do and  If the grocer doesn’t cover it up,many times  it will list the percentage of sodium per serving!

Other way to find sodium  content is through mother google !

You'd be surprised to know how much sodium is in a regular hotdog !

12 hours ago, h90 said:

And if you live health otherwise it wouldn't matter....but well if you live healthy you would not have hidden salt.

Regardless of your health, salt above recommended daily levels will adversely affect blood pressure which can affect kidneys.

https://www.actiononsalt.org.uk/salthealth/salt-and-the-kidneys/

Edited by ozimoron

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

All the more reason to make food at home during the long O-stay-winter-break in Thailand ????Even though it can cost more to do so, depending on where one is based and if one purchases in foreign supermarket retail chains in Hua Hin or Bangkok

Yeah, I Iike Thai food very much but I'm eating far more salad and whole foods out of supermarkets in Pattaya lately, just to avoid the salt and horrible cooking oils they use. I think Tops in Central festival has the best quality fruit and veges and widest range of imported foods.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, Sir Dude said:

Not just salt, but the sugar too, as every time you eat, your insulin spikes and high insulin levels are at the base root of so many health conditions. What a lot of people don't realise is that the human body simply hasn't evolved to eat three salty meals a day plus sugary snacks and drinks. For thousands of years you were lucky if you ate once a day, and if unlucky, once every two or three days, and the human body has evolved to cope with that... hence why intermittent fasting is so good for you. Of course, the food industry and big pharma don't want people to know that though.

Many people have been conditioned into believing that anytime you feel even the slightest amount of hunger you should eat something. I sometimes hear people saying how they must eat even 7 or 8 times a day or more!

On 2/25/2023 at 1:31 AM, ozimoron said:

Regardless of your health, salt above recommended daily levels will adversely affect blood pressure which can affect kidneys.

https://www.actiononsalt.org.uk/salthealth/salt-and-the-kidneys/

Nope because if you live/eat healthy you won't eat too much salt, because you avoid the hidden one. And even the sea gypsies (who swallow sea water) and some northern people (who eat all the salted fish which is so salted that you almost can't eat it). Don't have all kidney problems.
It is not the salt it is everything together: overweight, drinking not enough, pain killer (they are bad kidney killers) too much protein, too high blood sugar and on top of it too much salt which also stress the kidney.
But it is no problem for healthy people. And for the unhealthy it is just one of many components. It is far more important to reduce weight, get the blood sugar level OK, get off the daily painkiller, make sports.

I am not saying that salt is no problem at all. It is a problem but in the big picture it is one of the smaller trees in the forest of problems.