1.5 million Thai youths are suffering from depression, numbers rising

snoop1130

On 2/24/2023 at 1:49 PM, Sir Dude said:

This is not surprising considering the unfairness of Thai society, especially towards the young, and a general lack of opportunity for most who have little to look forward to. Once the dinosaurs are extinct, there will be much change in a short amount of time here... maybe another 10-15 years, as I can't see these university kids that are graduating now standing for it once they move up the ladder.

Sadly the dinasours will be around for a very long time.

These dinasours are also known as "the army".

There will be more coups and disruptions for as long as Thailand maintains its inclusiveness and believes it is the centre of the universe.

????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

I'm talking about Thailand.   These Thai kids are not "spoiled" like the farang.  Not even close.  Not even 1/10th.

Yes, I was spoiled and it did "ruin" me to an extent.   But it is nice to get what you want for Xmas as a kid.   lol.    and your birthday.    Go yell at my parents (deceased) who spent money on their kids!!!!  Why did you buy your kids nice things!!!!!?????    lol .    I'll send you a BMW or a broken bicycle....which one do you want for FREE?   exactly.

Back to Thai kids...............depression is a very big problem.   It's hard for kids to get an identity in this environment.  Hard to find good role models.  Hard to find a good peer group.  Hard to get good at something.  Hard to afford a passion.  Hard to find a good education.   This is only possible if their family is solid.   

As a former teacher, I know how bad the school system is.   Failure of the kids, while they "pass" with failing grades.   This helps nobody.   Rooms are horrible, food average, books are bad, buildings are garbage, facilities are horrible, etc......  

Thai kids deserve better. 

I've lived here 10 years. 50/50 Pattaya and rural village.

I would consider that a majority of male kids grow to become "Mummies Boys".

Part of the problem is the kids father running away at a very early age and leaving no male role model for the son.

????????

• Like 1

Thai males are told from very early childhood that boys and men don't cry. Notised how all adults around a small crying boy, all laugh and tell the 2-3 year young child that he not allowed to cry. He's a Boy!

Girls however, are allowed to cry their heart out, never told to stop cry because girls shouldn't cry.

Their upbringing, most grow up with grandparents only, no wonder they get emotional problems later in life. Left to themselves most of the day and evening.

Real men don't seek help from medical service if any exist in their area. That's how they're brought up.

Imagine their frustrations and mental issues, when they can't let out steam or seek medical help. Only by abuse and violence, can they let out steam.

Thai tv soap nightly, hard though men who abuse hit women. 

Thailand have a long way to go, and the 2% are BS, big unknown numbers for sure.

• Like 1

Impressive.   I would expect that to be in the 80-90%. brackets, if not more.

What teenager doesn't get depressed every now & then.   How'd they ask that question ... 'Do you ever get depressed ?'  and who could answer 'no'.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:07 PM, Laughing Gravy said:

I know this does not apply to everyone and there are always some good kids who have some 'gumption and drive ' about them.

I had 2 Thai nephews, one a year older than other, Older was OK and a decent guy, the younger was a rat bag, and I loathed having him around when he used to invite himself to stay for the weekend.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:49 PM, Sir Dude said:

This is not surprising considering the unfairness of Thai society, especially towards the young, and a general lack of opportunity for most who have little to look forward to. Once the dinosaurs are extinct, there will be much change in a short amount of time here... maybe another 10-15 years, as I can't see these university kids that are graduating now standing for it once they move up the ladder.

Last time the uni kids rebelled against the authorities a few ended up dead.

They are kids, and IMO they don't get a say in how things are run.

19 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Life can be quite hard. We're going through a period where in fact real opportunity is much lower than in the previous 60 years and everything is going to be about minimizing and downsizing- that's extremely painful for most.  However, expectations amplified by social media are sky high. I'm afraid for many, perhaps even a big majority, it's back to a 1930's lifestyle and that's hard to take, especially when the wealthy appear to be getting even wealthier. On paper, the solution is easy but ultimately won't happen.

And yet, when I go out to eat here, I get an impression of a developing country, and in general life is good and improving for Thai families. They are out enjoying themselves, arrive in nice cars, and appear affluent enough. Young folks seem positive..... overly engaged with their phones of course. My location means I see a lot of Thais heading to and from the motorway I expect. 

• Like 1

My expetience with my own children is that Thailand doesnt offer them much: no safe playgrounds,  no affordable sport clubs, no good schools that wont cost you an arm or  leg, no great job opportunities because of the patronage (corrupt) system, and so on. 

Its tough to be a child in a society that lacks moral fibre. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, Bohemianfish said:

she asked, "how do I get to America?"

Several of my students have asked me this. Now I'm at this moment with my wife. Looks like our years in the LOS are now coming to an end. We're both at 45, with about another 20 years of work left in us, which would be better done back in the US.

I teach English online and once had a Japanese businessman. A usual topic is what our families are up to. I said my wife was out cutting the sugar cane. He goes "She can already speak English? What the **** is she doing out cutting sugar cane?" Haha. He was absolutely right. I gotta get her outta here, to where the supermarkets are paying $20/hr. When she's not cutting the sugar cane, she gets about 10-15 bucks a day with a stall in the market.

If you're already retired and sitting on a nice pension, fine, you could live it out here in the LOS, where it'd certainly go further. But I don't, so gotta take her back.

uscis.jpg

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And yet, when I go out to eat here, I get an impression of a developing country, and in general life is good and improving for Thai families. They are out enjoying themselves, arrive in nice cars, and appear affluent enough. Young folks seem positive..... overly engaged with their phones of course. My location means I see a lot of Thais heading to and from the motorway I expect. 

Most likely they are living on debt.????????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

My expetience with my own children is that Thailand doesnt offer them much: no safe playgrounds,  no affordable sport clubs, no good schools that wont cost you an arm or  leg, no great job opportunities because of the patronage (corrupt) system, and so on. 

Nothing but excuses, as many prosper, that didn't come from money, or get a patronage job.   But they actually attended school, paid attention, and applied themselves.

Lots of excuse, but no reasons to fail in life, except not trying.

Maybe a failure, maybe the next Starbucks, but if one doesn't try, one never knows:

329596159_197207456292065_997640910988053735_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing but excuses, as many prosper, that didn't come from money, or get a patronage job.   But they actually attended school, paid attention, and applied themselves.

Lots of excuse, but no reasons to fail in life, except not trying.

Maybe a failure, maybe the next Starbucks, but if one doesn't try, one never knows:

329596159_197207456292065_997640910988053735_n.jpg

Nothing but excuses? So there are good schools, nice sport clubs, job opportunities for all? Society gives children equal chances to education, employment, income?  Either you're ignorant or an ostrich.

Edited by SoilSpoil
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Valid reasons I do not want kids In Thailand growing up here! I would not know how to be a good father, not manage to give them what I believe is a healthy and sound childhood, as well the best experiences to manage life when growing older. Good Education and sports is to expensive here, and It would left me as an 70 year old father when they probably needed me most when they finish the school, establish family on their own, and having Grand children who also needs a grandfather to look up to. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Nothing but excuses? So there are good schools, nice sport clubs, job opportunities for all? Society gives children equal chances to education, employment, income?  Either you're ignorant or an ostrich.

Seems you are offering excuses for failure. Those that want to will get educated, make the effort and succeed. Those that don't have any motivation................................................

Schools don't motivate- that's a family thing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

How'd they come up with the statistics being as they do not treat youths at government psychiatric hospitals in Thailand. Only place for antidepressants to be obtained is privately. My observation come from the Korat area.

Who world statistics 

• 1 in every 8 people in the world live with a mental disorder
  • Mental disorders involve significant disturbances in thinking, emotional regulation, or behaviour
  • There are many different types of mental disorders
  • Effective prevention and treatment options exist
  • Most people do not have access to effective care

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/mental-disorders

On 2/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I am not surprised that many young people are depressed. Tell me again, what does this government do for them?

It's not up to the goopermunt to do things for you.

The depressed are the poor little rich girls high on xanax and zoloft. The poor soldier on.

Edited by SuperSilverHaze
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

I never said/suggested it was.

Is the USA (or elsewhere) relevant to this thread?

'Twas just a simple comment.????????

Neither did I, it was a question!

I think it is when you are making generalizations about a nations people. 

Edited by jacko45k

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems you are offering excuses for failure. Those that want to will get educated, make the effort and succeed. Those that don't have any motivation................................................

Schools don't motivate- that's a family thing.

Fair call.

As I see it, schools (other than teaching the basics) should provide direction and expose students to "life" situations.

Schools should also be able to provide guidance/solutions to "life" issues, but I doubt this can be handed down by teachers.????????

On 2/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, Lucky Bones said:

Sadly the dinasours will be around for a very long time.

These dinasours are also known as "the army".

There will be more coups and disruptions for as long as Thailand maintains its inclusiveness and believes it is the centre of the universe.

????????

There are other dinosaurs much more influential. The military are subservient.

Because they continue to exist will be the principled reason for the ongoing coups and disruptions. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Who world statistics 

• 1 in every 8 people in the world live with a mental disorder
  • Mental disorders involve significant disturbances in thinking, emotional regulation, or behaviour
  • There are many different types of mental disorders
  • Effective prevention and treatment options exist
  • Most people do not have access to effective care

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/mental-disorders

How can there be honest statistics when the Thai government does not provide mental heath treatment for non adults. Only way to get treatment for the young is privately as far as I'm aware. Meaning many people go untreated until they reach adulthood. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 3:25 PM, BangkokReady said:

Did you have any idea what your government did for you when you were a teenager?  Do most teenagers follow politics?

It's much more likely to be related to something like social media or smartphone addiction.

My first thought as well. The social media and smartphone addiction is bad everywhere but it is off the charts in Thailand. Add to that a bad education system and immature people so no wonder that something like this occurs.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, rabang said:

My first thought as well. The social media and smartphone addiction is bad everywhere but it is off the charts in Thailand. Add to that a bad education system and immature people so no wonder that something like this occurs.

It's madness. Ever attempt to have a decent conversation, or whatnot, with an individual or a gathering without any of them requiring to be obsessed with the gadget distractions. 

Some of us [older friends/family] know how to conduct ourselves in social gatherings without "the aid" of a bladdy phone.

I guess old school does have it's moments. 

18 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

How can there be honest statistics when the Thai government does not provide mental heath treatment for non adults. Only way to get treatment for the young is privately as far as I'm aware. Meaning many people go untreated until they reach adulthood. 

Same as everywhere in the world where there is very little help to get for normal mental health issues or struggles. Only those with resources have the possibility to send their kids in Therapy. Many diagnoses goes under the radar and people do not get help before to late, or get help very late in life. Most Mental health issues is discovered because of other health issues that can relate a long life struggling.

Their data is produced by observation of smaller community's percentage of population who is diagnosed and discovered, and no factual numbers. Just statistically average