Purpose of dogs in traditional Thai households?

RamenRaven

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Aren't dogs literally bred to be human companions though?  What's weird about that?  They provide companionship and affection.  It's pretty well proven that they have a positive effect on humans, psychologically.

So because someone started a business & gave me a laundry list of 'studies'... , I should buy their weird science project and bring it in my home?  I should clean up after it, sleep with it and share its parasites?  Hey, who am I to judge. You do you..

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RamenRaven said:

But I am struggling to understand the concept of how and why dogs are raised here.

The same reasons dogs were kept in Europe, North America and many other lands say a hundred years back. Not talking about urban pooches and Hi So people & pets of those times. You can still find that in many countries  today, in what you would term 'western countries'. 

You say you are struggling with it, I suspect you haven't considered the above, or have little knowedge of it.

• Like 1

Report Highlights. Pets, pet products, and pet care are all part of a $103.6 billion national industry; 40.5% of revenue is from food and treats alone.

• The pet industry grows by 11.6% every year.
  • The average pet-owning household spends $1,120 per year on their pets.
  • 2-in-3 American households include at least one pet.
  • Two (2) corporations consume 49% of the pet industry’s market share.
  • Globally, the pet industry is worth $232 billion.

Almost half of all "global" revenue comes from the US alone. Ergo, mostly stupid people live in US..  I had a dogs & cats in my life, so I'm not judging younger folks necessarily. I just wished I'd had arrived where I am now a long time ago. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I'm glad this has come up and have had probs. with neighbors dog barking, long story short, my missus complained again to the local authority, jeez 4 trucks 4 motorbikes all turned up (elections are coming up) , they have TEN dogs, well they also own the house next door, And apparently you are allowed 5 dogs per house.

My point is that; it's a crazy law, and should go on how big your land is. whatever size a dog, it still has a bark. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I'm glad this has come up and have had probs. with neighbors dog barking, long story short, my missus complained again to the local authority, jeez 4 trucks 4 motorbikes all turned up, they have TEN dogs, well they also own the house next door, And apparently you are allowed 5 dogs per house.

My point is that; it's a crazy law, and should go on how big your land is. whatever size a dog, it still has a bark. 

Posted this before, sister in law lives on a nice Sansiri estate in Bkk. All was well until somebody moved in the next soi with over 30 dogs, the racket is horrendous. Claims it's his right to have as many as he wants. Sansiri have plenty of rules but he still has the dogs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Seeing dogs in rural Thailand and Sri Lanka I've often thought they have a pretty idyllic life in canine terms - freedom to wander as they please, as much or as little canine companionship as they want, and food they don't have to hunt for. Being often left alone, indoors, as many dogs are in cities, is not a kind way to treat an animal that naturally lives in a pack. 

Until they get runover.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1