Traveling with weed

jingjai9

This is 100% legal as long as you are traveling within Thailand, and it is normal flower rolled.

Avoid traveling on the plane with any extracts, or edibles unless they are clearly marked with FDA compliant labels (otherwise you can run into issues).

Edited by OG Thai
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, OG Thai said:

This is 100% legal as long as you are traveling within Thailand, and it is normal flower rolled.

Avoid traveling on the plane with any extracts, or edibles unless they are clearly marked with FDA compliant labels (otherwise you can run into issues).

Can you post a link to show that its 100% legal?

Its my understanding that its basically undefined due to the jumble of laws not being approved.   It may not be illegal but I don't think its actually legal either. Its more that its not enforced consistently unless its convenient for other reasons.

Also traveling thru at least some airports you may find yourself caught in anti smuggling activities.   Its available for sale almost everywhere so why risk any hassle or worse something worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Laws in Thailand are enforced by folks who have no clue as to what is or isn't on the books. Even if you find a link saying it's 1000% legal to board a local flight with a small bag in your possession, too many people from the local TSA to the BiB with the handcuffs aren't necessarily aware. I would NEVER take such a chance on something that is a completely unnecessary risk. Just buy it locally wherever you go. This really is a no brainer.

What would be the charge?  

Cannabis is no longer a controlled substance.  

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

Can you post a link to show that its 100% legal?

Its my understanding that its basically undefined due to the jumble of laws not being approved.   It may not be illegal but I don't think its actually legal either. Its more that its not enforced consistently unless its convenient for other reasons.

Also traveling thru at least some airports you may find yourself caught in anti smuggling activities.   It’s available for sale almost everywhere so why risk any hassle or worse something worse. Thailand removed cannabis (except for extracts) from the list of narcotics and controlled substances.  

The issue with the laws is exactly the opposite of your fear.  There is no law.  That’s what the cannabis bill fight in parliament is all about.   

The people that legalized it want to pass some laws that will put some restrictions on it.  The opposition parties don’t want it voted on before the next election so they can campaign on recriminalizing it.  

AOT has even published guidelines as to their policies on cannabis on flights that they formed based on discussions with the Narcotics Control Board.  

On around June 13th of last year I called all the major domestic carriers and asked them their policy on cannabis on flights.  

Everyone that responded said the only policy is that it has to meet the luggage requirements.  

50 minutes ago, LOWERCASEGUY said:

The issue with the laws is exactly the opposite of your fear.  There is no law.  That’s what the cannabis bill fight in parliament is all about.   

The people that legalized it want to pass some laws that will put some restrictions on it.  The opposition parties don’t want it voted on before the next election so they can campaign on recriminalizing it.  

AOT has even published guidelines as to their policies on cannabis on flights that they formed based on discussions with the Narcotics Control Board.  

On around June 13th of last year I called all the major domestic carriers and asked them their policy on cannabis on flights.  

Everyone that responded said the only policy is that it has to meet the luggage requirements.  

I have no fear and stand by what I wrote until someone shows a valid link and not rumor or unconfirmed sources.

There are laws on the books from when they removed it from a controlled drug for medical use and if I recall the the levels of thc have to be below 2%. Its legal to grow and use at home and legal to sell with a license but under the original relaxed release for use but I question all the air carrier making the statement you wrote.

57 minutes ago, LOWERCASEGUY said:

Yes, I live in Thailand.  I’m also involved in the industry and have plenty of lawyers.  

Then YOU go ahead and risk your liberty. Until some time has passed and this isn't such an issue, suggesting a tourist to go ahead and risk it is foolish.

1 hour ago, LOWERCASEGUY said:

This is a quote from the Public Health Ministry in the same AOT commentary about cannabis on flights you referred to. The AOT was waiting for legal clarification and guidance in the absence of pending regulations. 

"In a brief statement, the Public Health Ministry today clarified that transporting any cannabis or hemp, in any form, is still illegal."

7 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I have no fear and stand by what I wrote until someone shows a valid link and not rumor or unconfirmed sources.

There are laws on the books from when they removed it from a controlled drug for medical use and if I recall the the levels of thc have to be below 2%. Its legal to grow and use at home and legal to sell with a license but under the original relaxed release for use but I question all the air carrier making the statement you wrote.

Why do I have to provide a link for you when it’s literally on thousands of websites.  

Google “AOT Thailand cannabis domestic flights”.  

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

This is a quote from the Public Health Ministry in the same AOT commentary about cannabis on flights you referred to. The AOT was waiting for legal clarification and guidance in the absence of pending regulations. 

"In a brief statement, the Public Health Ministry today clarified that transporting any cannabis or hemp, in any form, is still illegal."

Since I’m pretty sure this source isn’t allowed on ASEAN Now, here’s a quote from an article.  You can copy and paste it into Google. 

“Passengers who wish to bring legal cannabis or cannabis products on domestic flights are advised to pack it in their checked baggage. The reason is that cannabis items carried on board must be inspected by staff from the Narcotics Control Board and would cause a delay during security checks.”

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Laws in Thailand are enforced by folks who have no clue as to what is or isn't on the books. Even if you find a link saying it's 1000% legal to board a local flight with a small bag in your possession, too many people from the local TSA to the BiB with the handcuffs aren't necessarily aware. I would NEVER take such a chance on something that is a completely unnecessary risk. Just buy it locally wherever you go. This really is a no brainer.

I don't think there's a single Thai that didn't hear Anutin say any officials arresting people for having cannabis would be severely punished. That was right at the start when 4 police tried to extort a little old Thai lady, ZERO arrests since then.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think there's a single Thai that didn't hear Anutin say any officials arresting people for having cannabis would be severely punished. That was right at the start when 4 police tried to extort a little old Thai lady, ZERO arrests since then.

From a UK newspaper:

Where can you consume it?

Smoking it can be done inside an individual’s residence, and cannabis inside food can be consumed at a licensed restaurant. Smoking marijuana in public places such as schools, temples and shopping malls can lead to a 25,000 baht ($750) fine and a three-month prison sentence. As a rule, Chopaka says, people should be aware of not “encroaching” on other people’s space.

What remains prohibited?

Tourists cannot enter or leave the country carrying any part of the plant or its seeds. As well, possession of extracts with a THC level higher than 0.2% requires permission that tourists are unlikely to have.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/10/consuming-cannabis-in-thailand-what-tourists-need-to-know-marijuana-weed-rules