Apartment WiFi (Siri and Google Chromecast)

Finlaco

Hi 

We access WiFi using the apartments WiFi system which requires a login.  At the moment we're in a room that has a LAN cable so we connect that to a Wi-Fi router and we can share it to multiple devices (Siri and Google Chromecast).

We're going to change rooms next month and there might not be a LAN cable option.  I have tried to Google but obviously I'm not asking the right question.  Any member here know how I could share the Wi-Fi with the existing Wi-Fi router or would we need to buy new hardware?

Thanks

If you are connected to the building's internet via a LAN cable, you are not using WiFi.

When you change rooms and there is no cable, you will have to connect via WiFi with the correct password. Your speed will be drastically reduced.

Why not try connecting directly to the WiFi in the room you are in now to see what the speed will be.

• Like 1

@KannikaP 

Maybe in your desire to help you read a little bit too quickly.  The building offers Wi-Fi and our specific room also has a LAN cable (same provider).  The new room will only have Wi-Fi.  

If you don't have experience in this field, it's okay just move on to the next topic, if you do I can explain it a little bit more to you in DM

Edited by Finlaco
  • Confused 1

Great

At the moment the LAN goes into my router and I can share with multiple devices after I login to the apartment's WiFi.

Next month I will change rooms and no LAN cable.  I can log into the apartments WiFi using the router in the hallway but will loose my ability to reshare.

Can this be resolved using new hardware (device) etc....

1 hour ago, Finlaco said:

@KannikaP 

Maybe in your desire to help you read a little bit too quickly.  The building offers Wi-Fi and our specific room also has a LAN cable (same provider).  The new room will only have Wi-Fi.  

If you don't have experience in this field, it's okay just move on to the next topic, if you do I can explain it a little bit more to you in DM

You are wrong. When connected with a LAN cable you login to the Internet provider. WIFI doesn't use a LAN cable.

It sounds like the apartment’s wifi is only allowing a single mac address to be used when connecting over wifi.  If that is correct you may be able to use mac address cloning or spoofing for the second and third , etc devices. Basically, this is what the wired router is doing currently with NAT. Maybe there is a travel router that accepts a wifi signal for its WAN input and broadcasts its own wifi signal that all of your devices can use. This will be slow, much slower than what you have currently.  Best case is if the wifi WAN input is over  the 2.4 GHz band and your router only broadcasts over the 5 GHz band. 

what about using cell service for the internet connection ?

@FritsSikkink thank you for the reply but I'm a little bit confused.  When I stick the LAN cable into my Wi-Fi router and then connect my devices to the Wi-Fi router why am I not using Wi-Fi?  I understand the magic comes via the LAN cable but do you understand the question being poised?

Next month when I no longer have the LAN cable, I will be using the condos Wi-Fi router in the hallway.  You have any suggestions as to how I can reshare that to my multiple devices?

@degrub thanks for the relevant reply.  More than likely we're going to buy a new router that can take a SIM card.  At the moment AIS Gomo seems to be a relatively good deal and a new hardware is around B2,500.  I was just wondering if any TVM had a simple suggestion. 

More than likely I'll probably do a new posting next week asking members what would be a good router for a SIM card, but before the option I was just seeing if anyone had another suggestion

What you are looking for is a WiFi router that has a Wireless Repeater mode but the reduction of speed will depends on the speed of the internet line since reduction of WiFi speed is definitely halved. Wireless Repeater mode are not available on some WiFi routers.

If your current router has this feature, make sure to place it on the wall that is inline with the hallway router.

Please do not buy those plug in Wireless Repeaters .... those are useless. You need a WiFi Router that has Wireless Repeater mode.

Do a Speedtest and show the results here and also share what router are you using now. Need more details.

Edited by extercy

If you have to login to the buiding wifi router and do not have lan then what you need is WISP function on your router.

Check if your router can support wisp mode.

https://wifi-settings.com/wireless-routers/wisp-mode/

Or you could just get a 4G sim router (with true, AIS, NT) and connect and share network like that. TP Link has a few routers that can do that.

• Thanks 1

The problem that you face is that building owners are often partnered with the WiFi provider. Thus, they get a commission from your use of that WiFi. If you were allowed to bring in your own connection, they would lose that commission. I had this issue with my first condo, and it took some effort to get a direct connection, and some older buildings cannot even support that if they wanted to allow you to do it.

The WISP router may be an option, assuming you can find one and can get it working. Might be worth a try. You also have the option of getting a SIM based router. This is a router that has a SIM card for the data, and operates over 4G (not aware of 5G availability, but possible). The speeds here are pretty good, but you will be paying for the monthly data plan, and you will have data limits (although you might never hit them).

My friend had a SIM router for some time. He was fairly happy with it, but did occasionally have issues with streaming Netflix. It was rare. His primary complaint was the additional 500THB he had to pay every month for the plan.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, timendres said:

The problem that you face is that building owners are often partnered with the WiFi provider. Thus, they get a commission from your use of that WiFi. If you were allowed to bring in your own connection, they would lose that commission. I had this issue with my first condo, and it took some effort to get a direct connection, and some older buildings cannot even support that if they wanted to allow you to do it.

The WISP router may be an option, assuming you can find one and can get it working. Might be worth a try. You also have the option of getting a SIM based router. This is a router that has a SIM card for the data, and operates over 4G (not aware of 5G availability, but possible). The speeds here are pretty good, but you will be paying for the monthly data plan, and you will have data limits (although you might never hit them).

My friend had a SIM router for some time. He was fairly happy with it, but did occasionally have issues with streaming Netflix. It was rare. His primary complaint was the additional 500THB he had to pay every month for the plan.

He should check first if his user is really limited to only 1 device at a time. To limit this you need special software and settings. I had a discussion here at my condo complex and finally we allowed if necessary several users per account so that children and the partner of the user can use it parallel. Before this there were no restriction at all. And then it was limited to only 1 device per user at a time. I do not know his situation. Perhaps he can check this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have a notebook? Windows 10?

If so you can make that into a hotspot by connecting it to your new room's wifi, then you can conenct other WiFi devices to your notebook's hotspot. You'll have to sort out the 2.4 GHz/5 GHz "issues".

Turn your Windows 10 PC into a mobile hotspot by sharing your Internet connection with other devices over Wi-Fi. You can share a Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or cellular data connection. If your PC has a cellular data connection and you share it, it will use data from your data plan.

Select Start , then select Settings  > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.

For Share my Internet connection from, choose the Internet connection you want to share.

If desired, select Edit > enter a new network name and password > Save.

Turn on Share my Internet connection with other devices.

To connect on the other device, go to the Wi-Fi settings on that device, find your network name, select it, enter the password, and then connect.

I think you can connect up to eight devices. Not sure about performance though.

What is the make/model of your WiFi router? It can likely be confgiured into WiFi Extender mode. If so, it can conenct to your current and future new rooms, via wifi and share that network to other devices.

Edited by bamnutsak

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

It can likely be confgiured into WiFi Extender mode. If so, it can conenct to your current and future new rooms, via wifi and share that network to other devices.

AP Client Router Mode

On 3/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, Finlaco said:

Can this be resolved using new hardware (device) etc....

Have you tried hot-spotting off a phone connected to a mobile service provider? Usually a lot more reliable and private than relying on apartment internet connections.