Police launch a full probe into the death of Finnish national near Pattaya with his throat cut in bed

webfact

so he recently comes back to Thailand and buys a property then suddenly he slits his own throat, who gains from his death (murder) - motive is always a good place to start

none of this makes sense

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

The odds of failure are actually pretty high using this method for suicide......

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090536X16300077

The most commonly used methods for committing suicide in India are hanging, poisoning, burns, jumping from height, drowning, firearm injuries, stab injuries etc. Cut throat injuries using a sharp weapon is the least frequent suicidal method. Tentative cut marks are common in suicidal deaths. Committing suicide by cutting their throat without hesitation marks is a very rare occurrence. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Let's hope that this "thorough investigation" will lead into prosecution of the guilty party, you don't need Sherlock Holms here to know that people do not end their lives by cutting their throat in bed.

If you are determined enough cutting your own throat isn't hard. 

A suitably sharp blade and you can open your carotid artery easily.  

'Throat cut' doesn't mean ear to ear like in the movies.   

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rwill said:

if, like many think here, his wife cut his throat he would most likely have defensive wounds too.  Just because you have your artery cut doesn't mean you die instantly.  Very unlikely he would just lay there and accept his fate if he did not want to die.

Yes, I do not know, but I also think that he probably cut his own Throat ? unusual ? ... But maybe being Older, he possibly he thought that this would be the Easiest way ? ... Fins, are Bloody Minded people from My experiences with them. .... Good, But quite Bloody Minded. ... It WILL be interesting if we can see what the Investigation Turns up ? ...

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

If the wife is fabricating stories of suicidal ideation and problems in home country, this will quickly come to light. Autopsy and crime scene evidence should reveal a lot. This story is being reported in Finnish press. Autopsy in Bangkok, and potential that family of deceased could order a second independent autopsy greatly reduces the potential that a crime might be swept under the rug. I say let's let the cops do their job on this one. Wife could well be telling the truth, but totally understandable why police are digging deeper.

Yes, I think that the Thai Police are actually Quite smart at working out these things ! ... If they want to be. ? ... Like they Use Local people, and Collect Intelligence from them using local Contacts, and socialy also, I think. ? .... Like they know what EVERY One is doing in Our Village for instance, but you never see them !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Who says she directly did it.....Seems she was conviently gone, when all the chopping was going on...

We typically postulate an accomplice. Classic CSI: ANF forensics, taking into consideration all the evidence.

Edited by BigStar

On 3/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Gecko123 said:

....wife stated she was away from the house for only for a brief period before returning home to discover the body. If she was involved in his death, one would expect her to invent a story which placed her away from the house for a longer period of time.

In fairness, she did "fret".

While away she had called a local Buddhist temple to organise a ceremony for the 100th-day anniversary of her mother.

She said she fretted that she had not let her husband know about this before she left and later hurried home.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/03/01/police-probe-death-of-finn-near-pattaya-markku-tapani-karjalainen/

On 3/2/2023 at 3:09 PM, rwill said:

if, like many think here, his wife cut his throat he would most likely have defensive wounds too.  Just because you have your artery cut doesn't mean you die instantly.  Very unlikely he would just lay there and accept his fate if he did not want to die.

If for example, he was heavily intoxicated or took sleeping pills, he wouldn't have felt a thing.

The wife could have cut his juggler and he would have blead to death, her excuse/alibi was she was out, which to me is a pretty weak excuse/alibi because it's too convenient, e.g. there is no talk of a forced entry.

My money is on her doing him over, Thai's IMO are not the brightest when it comes to stuff like this, e.g. she could have booked a weekend away and had someone else carry it out, then her alibi would be pretty solid.

Place your bets now.

Roulette Wheel GIFs | Gfycat

• Thanks 1

An important fact is that they had been separated for two years whilst he was in Finland. The relationship probably fell apart and the wife got involved with another man. Buying the house was probably an attempt to re-establish the relationship.

For example there was a German guy living with his Thai GF in our condo block. He got stuck in Munich for two years (Covid). GF quickly had a new foreign boyfriend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:09 PM, smedly said:

so he recently comes back to Thailand and buys a property then suddenly he slits his own throat, who gains from his death (murder) - motive is always a good place to start

none of this makes sense

He could have been fighting his previous wife in Finland and wanted to hide some money from her. So he bought the condo for his Thai wife. At least his Thai wife puts out