Where should/will an agent register me?

When using an agent to fund the Non O retirement "visa" (extension of stay based on retirement), does it make any difference if the agent registers me in another province or if he registers me in the place where I'm actually residing, Chiang Mai? I've heard that Chiang Mai is a bit a difficult place in this regard.

• Like 1

Likely doesn't matter where. If using an agent, it's quite possible that your visa/extension will be issued by an office far away from where you live. My GF got hers from an office 900Kms away from where she lives (and agent operates). It hasn't caused her any issues.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 2

Based on someone's personal experience living Bangkok....an agent arranged a visa and extension through a northern immigration office, 800K thb went short term into then out of the person's bank account. Passport received the relevant stamps and the payment receipts accompanied the passport when  return.  That left an impending crisis of sorts at first 90 report.  Requiring a new TM30 to be issued for the Bangkok residence.  At 90 day reporting it still caused a commotion but reporting agent finally 'fixed it in her computer' and then advised to next time get your visa in Bangkok.  On next 90 day report it was accepted without any issues.  What will happen at the first extension based on Retirement remains to be seen.  Same agent? New agent? New problems?  unknown

Edited by LatPhrao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, trax33 said:

Your post makes me think of another issue that isn't clear to me: if the agent registers me in a different province than the one I'm living in and he does the extensions from that province, but my landlord registers me (of course) at the place I'm actually living in, doesn't that create problems regarding 90 day reporting?

Or does the 90 day reporting then also need to be done by the visa agent from that different province?

You only ever use one address, always the latest one (and one 90 day report) at a time.

14 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

You only ever use one address, always the latest one (and one 90 day report) at a time.

I think to do an extension you have to be registered (TM30) in that province and predumably agent arranges thus. So at  minimum you'd need to register your actual address as a change of address before you could do a 90 day repirt where you actually live? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

So the address the agent uses is also the same address as for the 90 day reporting?

And if that address is not my actual address, I guess the agent then has to do the reporting, since I don't think (s)he will tell me where that is?

And after the agent does the 90 day reporting, can I check if it has been done "properly"?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think to do an extension you have to be registered (TM30) in that province and predumably agent arranges thus. So at  minimum you'd need to register your actual address as a change of address before you could do a 90 day repirt where you actually live? 

LatPhrao has put in into a nutshell. The key is the TM30 by his landlord. When he has this he'll know the address the IO have upon their records. He will then be able to make 90 day reports and apply for extensions with utmost ease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

I think that post made the point that a difference between the immigration province and a different living address/TM30 address has the potential to raise questions at the 90 day reporting counter.  However the issue may be/should be cured by being able to show a very current TM30 - address where you live.                          

Regards the 90 day reporting, it's been reported that the agent will/shoulld also file the 90 day reports on behalf of their client. For a fee.  Don't count on it!  imho Some may 'lose interest' in your case once they have your money and just leave you hanging in the breeze, i.e., you'll be figuring out how to successfully do the 90 day report yourself.  The remedy seems to be, in person filing 90 day report, a very current TM30 at your actual address, copy in hand,  and weathering the 90 report agent's admonishments.  But the timely TM30 will /should prevail and you'll get your 90 day report accepted. The next one should process without issue.

So you're saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that when an agent registers me in a different province I could still do the 90 day reporting in my own province?

And at immigration in my own province they won't notice the fact that I've been registered in a different province?

35 minutes ago, trax33 said:

So the address the agent uses is also the same address as for the 90 day reporting?

And if that address is not my actual address, I guess the agent then has to do the reporting, since I don't think (s)he will tell me where that is?

And after the agent does the 90 day reporting, can I check if it has been done "properly"?

LatPhrao has provided a most superb solution. You need to obtain a copy of form TM30 from your landlord. 90 day reporting and extensions must use this address. No need for your agent to do your 90 day reporting for you (unless you've already paid in advance for the service). Easy to do at Immigration Office/by post/on-line.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

LatPhrao has provided a most superb solution. You need to obtain a copy of form TM30 from your landlord. 90 day reporting and extensions must use this address. No need for your agent to do your 90 day reporting for you (unless you've already paid in advance for the service). Easy to do at Immigration Office/by post/on-line.

But what if the agent can't "find" an IO in my province and has to look elsewhere?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, trax33 said:

But what if the agent can't "find" an IO in my province and has to look elsewhere?

Then your agent will either have to submit your 90 day reports upon your behalf or supply you with the address they've given to the IO so that you can do them. If you can't resolve this you could try going to the IO in the area you're actually living in and explain. If they're anything like my own IO they will jump at the chance to undercut your agents fees.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Then your agent will either have to submit your 90 day reports upon your behalf or supply you with the address they've given to the IO so that you can do them. If you can't resolve this you could try going to the IO in the area you're actually living in and explain. If they're anything like my own IO they will jump at the chance to undercut your agents fees.

Wow, you really need to have guts to do that! Suppose the IO rejects your offer, would you then nonchalantly walk out of the office? ????

Edited by trax33
It was not my intention to use bold letters in the last part of the sentence, but can't find a way to change it...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The "admonishments" are exactly what deters me from the agent route and with my IO I doubt subsequent 90 days would fare any better. My IO already makes 90 day reporting as difficult as possible and demands bribes for it.  They'd totally p8tch a fit if they saw the visa had been issued elsewhrte  especially as they would know it was done that way to bypass them (small office, very few farang in the province snd they know quite well that I live there snd have for more than 20 years).

But my IO us an outlier.

My IO operate a 'book system'. After each extension you can pay 2,000 baht and your name goes into the book for them to do your 90 day reports for you until your next extension. A tip gets you the VIP service i.e. telephone appointment, no form filling or questions, just hand in your passport and bank photocopies and they take your deskcam photo. They're always offering to help me in some way!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, The Fugitive said:

My IO operate a 'book system'. After each extension you can pay 2,000 baht and your name goes into the book for them to do your 90 day reports for you until your next extension. A tip gets you the VIP service i.e. telephone appointment, no form filling or questions, just hand in your passport and bank photocopies and they take your deskcam photo. They're always offering to help me in some way!

Lucky you.

Could not be more unlike my IO. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I never asked, they offered to help for less than my agent charges. Best if you take a Thai person with you as they 'understand' each other! 

So they knew you were using an agent? Or is this always obvious to them? ????

Edited by trax33
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

In the case relayed earlier the agent was presented with the conundrum of the distant IO stamping in the visa and the visa seeker/buyer's Bangkok address.  And the middleman who defaulted on filing the 90 day reports.  So the agent filed a TM30 of his client's actual living address.  So the Agent apparently has the capacity to fix that address problem with a TM30  they submit.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, proton said:

The law states yo have to apply for an extension from the province you live in.

I am aware that immigration officials will generally tell you to get extensions, re-entry permits and so on from the immigration office in the province where you are registered. However, I have seen cases where this was not enforced, and was not aware that it was actually illegal. Can you point at the Thai law that mandates this customary practice.

• Like 1