Brake failure: Truck carrying mechanical digger overturns in Trat - driver seriously hurt

webfact

714990.jpg

Naew Na Thai Caption: Driver seriously hurt!

Naew Na reported that rescue services were called yesterday morning to the Chang Toon - Saladdai Waterfall road in Trat, eastern Thailand, after a trailer carrying a mechanical digger overturned on a hill.

The trailer had a brake failure that led to the accident in which the driver "Nong" or "Nai" suffered a broken arm and a problem with his neck. He was taken to hospital.

765955.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

His sidekick Hatsuda, 25, managed to jump clear and was unscathed.

He said they were on their way with the rented digger to do work at the waterfall when the brake failure occurred and the digger came loose.

765957.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hughrection said:

Total outright lie!

Clearly, the digger is wider than the truck, hence the imbalance. See it all the time here. In my country of origin, putting a digger that is wider than the vehicle carrying it, is an instant no-go.

It's likely that it's illegal but who's gonna catch them? The cops are useless. ????

Just seen one going past our front garden.......... slightly wider than the truck, the truck is obviously under powered for the job and there are no chains (should there be chains?)

• Like 1

Air Brakes should be fail safe. Lose of air causes the brakes to come on, it is the air pressure that keeps the brakes off ! They never check audio or visual alarms on the yearly 'Test' was the truck even taxed. BAD driving , load not secured as per normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hughrection said:

Total outright lie!

Clearly, the digger is wider than the truck, hence the imbalance. See it all the time here. In my country of origin, putting a digger that is wider than the vehicle carrying it, is an instant no-go.

It's likely that it's illegal but who's gonna catch them? The cops are useless. ????

Agreed, seen it here many times.

Back-hoe on the back, too large for the transporter, not chained down.

Driver thinks the extra weight is okay, drives like he normally does with an empty bed.

Then wonders when things go wrong.

Idiots all of them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Air Brakes should be fail safe. Lose of air causes the brakes to come on, it is the air pressure that keeps the brakes off ! They never check audio or visual alarms on the yearly 'Test' was the truck even taxed. BAD driving , load not secured as per normal.

Air over hydraulic brakes only work in the developed world. This is due to most truck owners and operators being legally obliged to make sure the systems are maintained and repaired properly. Looking at the condition of the truck, there's no telling what sort of working brake system it had before it allegedly "failed".

Inspection?

Tax?

Chains?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Air over hydraulic brakes only work in the developed world. This is due to most truck owners and operators being legally obliged to make sure the systems are maintained and repaired properly. Looking at the condition of the truck, there's no telling what sort of working brake system it had before it allegedly "failed".

Inspection?

Tax?

Chains?

Air over hydraulic brakes only work properly if the truck isn't overloaded. 

I know been there done that.

Proper low loaders are a rare sight in Thailand.

Only real professional companies (like Mamooth) seem to have them.

It always frightens me to see such heavy machinery on a normal high truck bed.

If it's not brake failure it is simply thrown off in a bend (combined with the narrow bed).

• Like 1

Break failure my ass. From the pictures there seems to be no securing chains which is normal in rural areas. Plus if the truck's brakes failed what did he hit to stop him? No sign of a downward slope to his front. If anything it's the opposite.

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Proper low loaders are a rare sight in Thailand.

Only real professional companies (like Mamooth) seem to have them.

It always frightens me to see such heavy machinery on a normal high truck bed.

If it's not brake failure it is simply thrown off in a bend (combined with the narrow bed).

My partner's company has two of these; but even then, one ended up off-road in a ditch last year, unladen, too fast in rain descending a long hill.

spacer.png 

• Like 1

It scares the hell out of me to see trucks with earth moving equipment pass me

Steel tracks sitting on a steel floor is a no no

Add to this no chains to secure the load

My only comment is OMG  ????

Disaster waiting to happen

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:58 PM, digger70 said:
On 3/4/2023 at 3:21 PM, NanLaew said:

Inspection?

Tax?

Chains?

Expand  

Air over hydraulic brakes only work properly if the truck isn't overloaded. 

I know been there done that.

My point is they work pretty well either way when properly maintained. Here in Thailand, if there's an issue with a brake system that has redundancy, the 'mechanics' effort is to get them working fundamentally without considering the redundancy. The quick fix. Not too surprised when I read about a bus flipping on a downhill grade on Highway 2 around Kabinburi because the driver claims the brakes "ran out of air".

I was following ten-wheeler with a trailer that was empty and clipping along the Mitrapharp at +60 kph in the 'fast' lane on the Udon bypass. One of the brake accumulator bottles on the main truck's rearmost axle had snapped off and was bouncing and sparking along the highway only tethered by the brake lines. I caught up with him at a traffic light and managed to get the driver to step out and take a look at what was happening at the back. He was a bit perplexed and obviously clueless about what he was looking at. I suggested tying it up. He asked me if it would last as-is until he got to Khon Kaen (about 120 km away). The quick fix.

I shook my head , got back in my truck and quietly drove away.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thumbs Up 1