Drilling a 4 inch hole

Toolong

Hi....

The people who built my one floor house a decade ago only used tiny 'soffit' vent boards in a few corners of the overhanging eaves around the house. So, in my view, not nearly enough.

Rather than replace the existing plain boards and replace them with soffit boards, I thought about just drilling 4 inch holes through the plain boards and fitting round slit vents (with mozzy mesh, strong plastic, decent quality, 189 baht each in Home Pro), 4 inches wide and fitting one every 2 metres or so around the eaves.

But need a 4 inch drill. The kind that people use to drill holes for door knobs. Anyone know where I can find one? (Home Pro did not have.)

ThaiWatsadu have them. HomePro certainly have the arbor (the part that the actual cutter attaches to).

If you're having to drill many holes, buy a decent, specific, single holesaw of the correct size. The multi-packs that contain 8 or so different sizes that all fit onto the same holder will annoy you over time. The single holesaw will be a complete circle and have teeth around all 360 degrees. The multi-packs will have inferior cutters that have a slot in them (not a full circle).

Something like this is ok - https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/ชุดดอกโฮลซอว์อเนกประสงค์-GIANTTECH-รุ่น-41060S-(ชุด-14-ชิ้น)-60277283?cate=580201 (although it is a multi pack and might not contain the actual size you want)

Something like this is junk = https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/ดอกโฮลซอ-PUMPKIN-PRO-รุ่น-26308-เจาะไม้-(ชุด-7-ชิ้น)-สีดำ-60173509?cate=580201

Edited by Woof999
Examples

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The headline made me laugh, thinking it should be in the Bar & Girls forum, not DIY.   5555

I bet you were thinking hole sore and not hole saw.

Edited by phetphet
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Depends on how many holes he wants to drill????

One of these is his best bet. 

spacer.png

Of course the OP might be a "tool guy" in which case then 1500 baht at Thaiwatsadu is probably OK for him.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

ThaiWatsadu have them. HomePro certainly have the arbor (the part that the actual cutter attaches to).

If you're having to drill many holes, buy a decent, specific, single holesaw of the correct size. The multi-packs that contain 8 or so different sizes that all fit onto the same holder will annoy you over time. The single holesaw will be a complete circle and have teeth around all 360 degrees. The multi-packs will have inferior cutters that have a slot in them (not a full circle).

Something like this is ok - https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/ชุดดอกโฮลซอว์อเนกประสงค์-GIANTTECH-รุ่น-41060S-(ชุด-14-ชิ้น)-60277283?cate=580201 (although it is a multi pack and might not contain the actual size you want)

Something like this is junk = https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/ดอกโฮลซอ-PUMPKIN-PRO-รุ่น-26308-เจาะไม้-(ชุด-7-ชิ้น)-สีดำ-60173509?cate=580201

Thank you, Woof999. That's very good to know. 

Will get myself down to the local Thaiwatsadu.

I appreciate you including those links to different types. Yes, the first one you said was ok was what I had in mind. ????

The one you thought was junk is, I agree, probably a bit junky. (Home Pro did actually have that type but maximum size is 3 inches. 

Great stuff. Thanks again. ????

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Like mentioned above. Google: 4 inch hole saw.

GNASH0400_01.jpg

That's precisely what I was hoping to find. 

Thanks for sending the pic, OneMoreFarang. I will use it to show the salespeople in local stores. I'll see of they've got it first, or if not get on google and buy online. 

Cheers. ????????

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Excellent in a drill press, deadly dangerous in a hand drill.

Yes, I can imagine! Bit like some medieval instrument of torture ????.

But...would like to (carefully!) try one out! ????

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I made a few wents at our house using jig saw if that helps. 

Yes, I did think of that being an option, Hummin. ????

Trouble is, I don't have a jig saw. ????

(Though of course I could get one. Just weighing up options first & the round drill hole plan is still first on list.)

Thanks anyway. ????

56 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Depends on how many holes he wants to drill????

One of these is his best bet. 

spacer.png

Of course the OP might be a "tool guy" in which case then 1500 baht at Thaiwatsadu is probably OK for him.

Gotta be honest, VocalNeal, not sure if I'm a 'tool guy', but I know I'm definitely a 'tight guy'! ????

Would prefer not to have to buy a complete set that I may never use, just to get that one size needed. 

That single big ol' yellow drill looks like the baby I need!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

These are OK if you only have a few holes though you need a good quality one, though for more than that you need a TCT hole saw like these.

461E467B-6E7A-4490-A389-65A20041A645.thumb.jpeg.144f47516a76f366eabd45bbf2aab572.jpeg52108BD9-814D-46C6-8D02-C4A6FBBC0BA6.thumb.jpeg.a7ba22aaf31cf7951f32ea3f8c7b5c60.jpeg

Those look like meaty pieces of kit, sometimewoodworker! ????

Interesting what you say about the yellow jagged-tooth drill probably not being good for multiple holes. I'll bear that in mind and see if the types in the pics you sent are sold locally. And that price seems not unreasonable! ????

The 2nd pic you sent looks as if it is your own personal set. Nice stuff! Right now I could sure do with offering a six-pack to borrow it for a few hours! ???? 

51 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Yes, I can imagine! Bit like some medieval instrument of torture ????.

But...would like to (carefully!) try one out! ????

I have one (though not the double cutter version) and the comments are from experience.

The careful to try is required in a drill press as the potential for grabbing the material is high.

27 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Interesting what you say about the yellow jagged-tooth drill probably not being good for multiple holes. I'll bear that in mind and see if the types in the pics you sent are sold locally.

The yellow saw is of questionable quality ThaiCarpenter stocks the Makita brand that is definitely good quality. However that kind of saw doesn’t have good chip removal which is why the TCT tipped tools are better, you are almost certainly going to want to cut a cement based board and even a high quality many toothed saw will be trashed quickly.

all the tools I have suggested are available, though the set under is better obtained from china 

9CEB8F59-5D87-43E8-BBDB-1A6D9C049394.thumb.jpeg.5677ea729aa3debbfc620adb72adba4f.jpeg

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Excellent in a drill press, deadly dangerous in a hand drill.

that depends entirely on the operator, to some even a hand drill is deadly dangerous. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Interesting, Artisi.  Never seen one like that. I'm curious to know the price. 

Thanks for sending. ????????

can't help with price but used a lot by sparkies for downlight holes - seek out a local sparky and see what they have or ask them to do the job for you.

3 hours ago, Toolong said:

Don't think there is a global house around here but plenty of other stores. I'll look out for them. ????

If the 4 in round vents have a border,  what i did with 3 in one's was drew a circle and with 6 mm drill just drilled around the inner circle and wood chiselled the holes require, i was in no rush. 

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Can't find a 4 in. maybe 2x 3in holes????

Yes, an option I guess. Was thinking that 4" was pretty much a minumum but then I do get too focused on one darned thing I've decided upon at times ???? and one should be flexible! ????????