60 Day Extension for visa exempt entry - Today’s runaround

My wife and I made the trek up immigration today for a 60 day extension for my visa exempt entry based on my marriage to a Thai.   We brought our passports, her national ID, condo deed (my name only), condo bills (in both our names), and the original and copy of the marriage cert, not translated.   

When we arrived to CW, they told us that the 60 day was possible and would be handled at the IT Square, Lak Si.   Headed over to IT Square and the first gal we spoke with reviewed my passport and marriage cert, and said “nope, ya gotta get the marriage cert translated and stamped” at another office.    So off we went to the third stop …..Legalization Dept…..on today’s journey.   It’s a taxi ride from IT Square.  When we arrived there, the gal told us “nope, we cannot stamp it until you get a completed Khor Ror 22…..Registration of Family Status….but first you need to head to the US Embassy to get your US marriage cert authenticated, and then you need to go get that thing translated”.    Well, the US Embassy specifically states on their website that authenticating marriage certs is NOT something they do and that needs to be done by the Dept of State in the US, so that was wrong and wondering if both the translation and 

I thought I did my homework reading up on this issue here, but this was the first I’d heard of a Khor Ror 22 and that tranlation stuff ran counter to what I’d read on this site.   I figured I’d just try to head up to IT Square again tomorrow and try to get the other girl, but wonder if anyone else has tried this and what was the result?   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   I’m about at the end of my 45 days.

12 minutes ago, madisongy said:

I’m about at the end of my 45 days.

Just to be clear.

You are aware that you can obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt 45 day stamp. 

That requires very little paperwork. 

Would buy time

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to be clear.

You are aware that you can obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt 45 day stamp. 

That requires very little paperwork. 

Would buy time

Thanks DRJ, yes, aware of that.   Trying to figure out this 60 day extension, as our return tickets are 89 days after our arrival date……since I figured this was a no brainer.  Bad assumption, I know.  

The 30 day extension gives us 75 days, so I’d still have to pay for ticket changes on our airfare and would like to avoid that.    Guess there is always the border run, but hoping I can get a halfway cooperative immigration person and be done with this.

12 minutes ago, madisongy said:

Thanks DRJ, yes, aware of that.   Trying to figure out this 60 day extension, as our return tickets are 89 days after our arrival date……since I figured this was a no brainer.  Bad assumption, I know.  

The 30 day extension gives us 75 days, so I’d still have to pay for ticket changes on our airfare and would like to avoid that.    Guess there is always the border run, but hoping I can get a halfway cooperative immigration person and be done with this.

You could get the 30 day extension first,  just to buy some time right away, and the 60 day extension once you can meet the requirements. I doubt you'll find a more cooperative IO, so best to be prepared. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, madisongy said:

You didn't do your research properly if you thought you didn't need papers in Thai language in Thailand.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do a affidavit at the  US embassy as a self certification of your marriage certificate that a Amphur will accept to register your foreign marriage to get the Kor Ror 22.

Your breadth of knowledge is absolutely incredible.   Thanks so much.  

Is the affidavit something I need to draft prior to my appointment so they can simply stamp it, or is that something they are well aware of and have a form or some such that I'd fill in?    If I need to draft something, can you point me to a good sample?

The manager referred me to the following document to acquire the 60 day.   She never mentioned getting the Kor Ror 22, and this document only mentions getting certification from the Embassy if it's a marriage cert from abroad.   What's your thoughts on that issue?  

extension of stay.jpg

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do a affidavit at the  US embassy as a self certification of your marriage certificate that a Amphur will accept to register your foreign marriage to get the Kor Ror 22.

Disregard my questions concerning the affidavit form.   Found that on Embassy website.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/blank-affidavit-bangkok-january-2019.pdf