Shingles Vaccination

Negita43

last time I checked, the only shingles vaccine available in Thailand was the less effective version offering less than 80% protection.

The more effective version, requiring 2 matched doses, six months apart is only available in the west, AFAIK.

Thanks - suddenly my UK (Scotland) Health Trust offered me a vax whilst I'm here and offer terminating in March and do not plan to re-offer till next year when I will be over the 80 year limit - why I haven't been offered it before I do not know!

Anyway I'm back in the UK in late March and will attempt to get the vax (without much hope) so it's good to know that if unsuccesful I can get at least something here.

I had measles as a kid, you never get rid of it, sits dormant and can reappear as Shingles.

I had Shingles, I think, 30 years back, I had it again after a Covid vax, and Herpes Simplex (cold sores) after another, but the good news is I never had Covid.....☺️

there is now available also korean made one, around 3500b. Was discussed several month ago.

Zostavax is from 4800b.

There is chance to get both of them over time.

Zostavax is effective 3-8 years, depending on source. Before getting the new one it's possible to check for antibodies - blood test 200b

Just now, internationalism said:

Zostavax is effective 3-8 years, depending on source. Before getting the new one it's possible to check for antibodies - blood test 200b

can you tell me where for the blood test?

Edited by Negita43

10 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

can you tell me where for the blood test?

I had zostavax in may 2021.

The last year I wanted also varicella vax, which is doe related virus.

I was told to do blood test and antibodies turned out very strong.

I do intend to check for that antibodies every year, at time of getting flu vax, and decide for varicella or the korean one.

Test was at the governmental hospital. Results came within a week, so it's not a standard test, probably they had to send it to some laboratory. But it was cheap

Edited by internationalism

56 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

In Bangkok?

yes, but as I believe all hospitals doing vaccination (I would think every single one) would do antibody test.

I think my hospital send it to some laboratory, so any hospital can also do it same way. 

If you are in bangkok there is tropical disease clinic near victory (book online) and red cross on rama 4 (have to come early, around opening time)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, internationalism said:

yes, but as I believe all hospitals doing vaccination (I would think every single one) would do antibody test.

I think my hospital send it to some laboratory, so any hospital can also do it same way. 

If you are in bangkok there is tropical disease clinic near victory (book online) and red cross on rama 4 (have to come early, around opening time)

Most hospitals would not be able to do this. Indeed many non-tertiary upcountry hospitals will nto have heard of it.

It is also of little practical benefit. A positive result does not mean you can't get shingles and a negative result does nto mean you cannot get shingles as sometimes, if you had chickenpox very long ago, the antibody level can be undetectable.

• Thumbs Up 1