Scammed on Wise, how did this happen?

11 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

his makes a big difference at least in US.

Credit vs debit

Many more safeguards with credit card

Advantage of credit cards. 1. Money back on your charges (1-5%). 2. 100% Fraud Protection. 3. Using OPM for at least 25-days without paying paying interests. 4. From time to time 0% interest for one year on balance transfer with 3% charge. So basically it is 3% interest for one year. 

In the US debit card also provides fraud protection but money from your bank will be taken out immediately. Thought most big banks will refund the money promptly before they start their fraud investigation, some bank may wait for the investigation to conclude for paying your money back.

I never use debit card. Only credit cards. In the US, I will use them even for buying a candy bar which used to be $0.50 but now at least $1.50. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All UK cards are sent out 'live', there's no other options.

I seem to remember that my Revolut Card had to be used once in order to activate it (in UK).

And maybe the same for a Wise replacement.

3 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

My UK wise card was used twice in the US. Fortunately the transactions were declined because the card had expired. Needless to say I decided not to renew it. I notified Wise but they didn't seem interested.

I do not think ANY card transaction, credit or debit, would be approved or go through if it has expired

3 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

My UK wise card was used twice in the US. Fortunately the transactions were declined because the card had expired. Needless to say I decided not to renew it. I notified Wise but they didn't seem interested.

Didn't seem interested in what? Supplying you with a new card when you had decided not to renew it. 

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I never use debit card. Only credit cards.

when traveling it's better to withdraw money from ATMs and pay cash.

so shady vendors don't get hold of your credit card number.

WISE was set up for travel and/or digital nomads and freelancers who do online work and get paid in different currencies. 

WISE debit card doesn't charge exorbitant ATM fees at international ATMs like bank debit cards.

also, can load the card with different currencies, so you don't lose on the exchange rates.

but if there's higher risk of fraud as some have pointed out, then it's not worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

In the US, I will use them even for buying a candy bar which used to be $0.50 but now at least $1.50. 

yes, and that's not good for businesses as credit card companies charge business high fees for each use.

you may want to be more considerate to small business owners and pay debit or cash for tiny transactions. 

• Haha 2

Just now, save the frogs said:

so shady vendors don't get hold of your credit card number.

I have no fear because my CCs are hundred percent fraud protected. But I use ATM card to withdraw money in case I need for something. I remember once touring Europe (may be 7 countries) with only $20 in my pocket and when I returned I still had the cash. 

14 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

yes, and that's not good for businesses as credit card companies charge business high fees for each use.

you may want to be more considerate to small business owners and pay debit or cash for tiny transactions. 

In the US, there is hardly any small business owners except local restaurants where one cannot buy candies and the bill will be at least $20. Why I will pay cash and lose my 5% cash back (restaurants and hotels have the highest cash back)? Sometimes I use freelancing handyman whom I pay cash. If I call plumbing company, I don't pay cash. All gas stations and supermarket where one can buy candies are big chains. 

The only places who don't take credit cards are weed shops where I have to pay cash.

Businesses see 20% increase in sales when they take credit cards. So, basically I am helping them. If they don't like it, they can stop accepting credit cards. In the US, I have not seen any business that don't take credit cards. May be hot dog/food street vendors but I have not bought anything from them in ages and they also don't accept credit cards. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

23 hours ago, asf6 said:

Are you able to view the location of the Uber Eats delivery or the restaurant? 

Banks are not interested in that information they happily accept that a quota of fraudulent transactions will occur. 3 times i have had purchases(internet) on my card and been refunded each time . The last one was for online shopping from a well known supermarket which just by sheer chance i had noticed that it had only just gone through.

I phoned and explained that all they need to do is contact the supermarket find the address and get the police to arrest them when they hand over the shopping. i was basically told that it was too much hassle and they weren't interested but i would receive a refund in the next hour, which i did.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know about that... I don't have a Wise card... but.....

When you apply for a new card the first thing you get is this email.  As you can see all the card details are in the app and it can be used online immediately.  When the card is received the only activation needed is for contactless payments, by making a single chip and PIN payment, but as you can add the new card details to Google pay, etc. before you get it that is hardly much of an issue.

image.png.181f4273f1036980b47c56d15f16b7f9.png

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Update:

Now the plot thickens! Checking into the details of this new physical ATM card, I see that Wise has sent it to my brother's address, not to my UK address (I forgot to update my postal address).  WAIT!  No they didn't!!  I just checked again! 

My Wise account still has my brother's address, but Wise shipped the card to my UK address in Blackpool that I entered into the Wise website after requesting the card.  In other words, Wise were happy to post this card to an address that wasn't yet associated with my Wise account!  (Duh...)

My brother hasn't yet received the card, which is likely so if the expected delivery date is by March 19th.

Now looking at the actual Uber Eats purchases, it says that the actual authorisation method was 'online'.  The Wise website says that one can actually use the card for purchases online before the actual card arrives.

So how did the defrauder get hold of my ATM card details to make the purchases?  (I wish I knew where the Uber Eats order was made).

If they can access your wise site they  can access your credit card and pin...if

44 minutes ago, DrCosmix said:

If they can access your wise site they  can access your credit card and pin...if

They can't access my Wise account - I have 2-step authorisation in place and the mobile phone is always in my possession.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

the last bank cards i received didn't need to be activated which was surprising, but the thread's a good reminder to freeze a card when issued before it arrives, if possible

The problem is someone can open the envelope, get the card details, and then seal it up again. This has happened to me once, on a debit card. They purchased a big haul at Kiehls. 

22 hours ago, DrCosmix said:

A word to the wise: have nothing to do with WISE. Nobody  on this forum wants to have  a genuine discussion about them.

Your cc scam is common  apparently-

Their call centre support  may not be reliable- they have no call centre staff in the  UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/10/european-markets-spooked-by-us-bank-shares-sell-off

Digital  banking like  digital  currency  is not safe. Its not underwritten by anything except confidence often of people promoting the product  such as on  forum 

If you are  thinking of opening an account  with WISE or REVOULT slow down and think again.

If you already  have one think about winding it  down because one thing is guaranteed if you have a problem YOU WILL GET NO HELP FROM WISE- AND THEY ARE NOT PART OF A GOVERNMENT  SCHEME. 

They are not a  bank . They just shift  money around for  people.

As regards the OP Im sorry about your loss but thanks for letting  people  know.

Im closing  my account  down after several years. It's just  not worth the risk

Their call centre support  may not be reliable- they have no call centre staff in the  UK.....But They DO,I Have Phoned & Spoke with Them.....Do YOU Want they're phone number ???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Their call centre support  may not be reliable- they have no call centre staff in the  UK.....But They DO,I Have Phoned & Spoke with Them.....Do YOU Want they're phone number ???

I have their phone number also and have spoken with them on 2 occasions, nothing serious just some clarifications

• Like 2

I have been telling my bank and I'm going to write to VISA right now that I should have the option to have every single credit card transaction approved by sending me an OTP by sms (or app of their choice or even their banking app) to my phone. Whether it's for B5 or B5,000,000. 

Edited by ncc1701d
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:45 PM, Stocky said:

They're not a bank and they pay no interest, so I'm not about to use them as such, but they are an excellent way to move money.

They're not a bank, but neither are they only a way to move money anymore.

They've morphed into a sort of bank by offering an ATM card -- with lower fees than normal banks.

The issue is you have to put money in the account to use the ATM.

From the research I've done so far, they're reliable and the amounts deposited for use with the ATM card are protected as they would be in a normal bank. 

ie they deposit they money in actual banks. 

So the anti-wise crusade seems unwarranted as far as I can tell so far.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

They're not a bank, but neither are they only a way to move money anymore.

They've morphed into a sort of bank by offering an ATM card -- with lower fees than normal banks. < Snip >

Do you still pay the same ATM fee when you use a Wise card in Thai banks as you would with a "standard" credit or debit card?

Edited by VBF

• 2 weeks later...

For the OP (et al), Websites are the new scam. They are copied and put up on "hosting" sites and LOOK very real. Connection to them is often sent in an email.

A few months back (as an example) my mom received and very real 'looking' email from McAfee stating that they had mistakenly 'refunded' and incorrect amount of credit to her account and could she please return it. They had also, somehow, made a transfer appear on her banking site and altered the 'memo code' to look like it was them to her (but was actually from her to her - she had 2 accounts). She then received a phone call to "follow up" and "assist" her in how to make the correction.

Long story short - had she not been stopped she would have lost $40,000

I have since closed both those accounts and changed her bank as well as canceling McAfee and set up 2 step verification for EVERYTHING except direct ATM withdraws and even those have a a daily limit. (she's 83 and I call her "Happy Fingers". She's also been grounded from using the computer ???? )

• 2 weeks later...

Stolen again!!

I ordered a new Wise debit card about 2 weeks ago.  This time, I 'froze' the card on my Wise account dashboard.

Today I checked from my dashboard about this card.  It stated that the card was delivered to me on April 11th (it was not!).  Additionally, on 12th April there were 2 attempts to purchase food from Deliveroo.......  These both failed because the card is frozen.

This really is a security loophole with Wise. 

Firstly, they send the card out 'unfrozen'.  I manually set it to frozen 5 minutes after I ordered it on my Wise account dashboard.

Secondly, the fact that anyone with the card number can order food deliveries without any security PIN or OTP check is ridiculous!

I have told Wise about these latest events and have invited them to comment about the security of their debit cards.  I also told them that I will not request a 3rd debit card because clearly there is a security loophole with their system.  I also invited them to contact the local police with details of these 2 thefts. 

I don't want to get involved but it's clearly the low-life hotel manager where I'm staying!  I know this because about 1 month ago as I was leaving the hotel to go shopping I saw a letter addressed to me by the front door.  I recognised it as a receipt of no importance and intended to retrieve it when I returned.  Well, when I returned, the letter had disappeared and I never saw it again! Just a few days ago, the low-life left a new letter/envelope outaide my room door.  It was already opened(!) and was an important medical report from the local hospital.  I guess this is why he decided to leave the letter for me, even though the envelope had been torn open.  No excuse/explanation was offered by the thief...

I like Wise for transferring funds to Thailand.  But I never leave any funds in my Wise balance because I simply no longer trust the security of their systems.

Edited by simon43

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 4:06 PM, DrCosmix said:

After a discussion  with WISE?!!!!

You actually  managed to get a  working  telephone number?

How many minutes before somebody  answered?

How did you get a number for WISE?

Who provided it to you?

What is the  number?

All the original  numbers have changed!

The idea of  having a 'discussion' with WISE is a joke.

They dont answer or they answer and keep you  on hold thus generating  income for them.

What is the number for WISE?

One that actually works please.

Personally I dont want multiple virtual CCs I want an effective  realistic money transfer  system with a support staff who answer the phones and have a real email adress and real email address 

Australia Wise Customer Support Service +612 8000 1247, ive called at least 4 times but not in at least 18 months.

No problems getting support but calling from AU i found 11 am the best time to get through. 

I now reside in Thailand and i use my wise card to pay for just about everything, each time i use or send money to it i get a ping on my phone thats an email alert for that transaction.