Immigration Agents In Chiang Mai

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm referring to agents obtaining extension without financial requirements. 

I'm not adverse to hiring an agent who can 'bend the rules'.  As I mentioned, I have plenty of funds flowing into Thailand to meet the financial qualification even if I didn't  have any money in the bank.  However, Immigration sets unrealistic restrictions on how that money comes into Thailand, in other words, they demand that it is shown as an international funds transfer where even the banks in Thailand don't show that designation even when the funds originate overseas.

So if I could find an "Agent" who has a working relationship with Immigration and can convince them that the foreign funds transfers are actual foreign funds transfers even though they don't have that specific label. 

I get the feeling that there isn't any of those types of "special agents" up here in Chiang Mai.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

As an American citizen I collect monthly Social Security and get any inflation raises no matter which country I reside. I note a difference in treatment with Brit and Aussie retirees.

Just to add to the above, the US system has another Social Security allowance, aimed at the disabled and the indigent 65 and up. It's called SSI (the I stands for implement). This would require the recipient to reside in the country. They can travel abroad but for no more than 30 days at a stretch. Where as the general Social Security (aka SS benefits) is basically the recipient's own saving during his/her working life, so it has no calling on where they reside as any particular moment.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm in similar circumstances, I use Assist Thai Visa to take care of all my Immigration and legal related needs. The owner is a Brit who has a UK law degree plus they have a Thai lawyer on staff. Very reliable for over ten years, they don't deal in dodgy visa's.

https://assistthaivisa.com/

Before I took on the 90 day / annual visa task myself I used Assist and I highly recommend them.
I know Farangs that use Assist to sort out the nightmare of a Farang work related visa and they also recomend.

I hope this helps ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, novacova said:

Maybe consult with an attorney considering you have transfer of funds to deal with. There are attorneys that deal with immigration issues that are not listed as “visa agents”.

It sounds as though the OP is American. In advance of incapacitation it would be prudent to have a durable power of attorney under US law to handle any issues with US bank accounts, Social Security, etc. This is especially true if the wife is not used to handling administrative and legal matters.

1 hour ago, placnx said:

It sounds as though the OP is American. In advance of incapacitation it would be prudent to have a durable power of attorney under US law to handle any issues with US bank accounts, Social Security, etc. This is especially true if the wife is not used to handling administrative and legal matters.

It's pretty much impossible to have a bank honor a DPA unless you set it up before leaving, no less creating a DPA outside of the US.

26 minutes ago, connda said:

It's pretty much impossible to have a bank honor a DPA unless you set it up before leaving, no less creating a DPA outside of the US.

You would have to have it notarized in the US Consulate. In Thailand there is also something similar ("pipat") to handle matters in Thailand, but maybe a wife wouldn't need that. I'm not sure, but a court intervention might be needed. Logically the durable power of attorney would be created under the law of the state where the person last resided before moving abroad.

Here is an explanation of DPA under Florida law, for example:

https://afela.org/elder-law-faq/florida-legal-information-by-the-academy-of-florida-elder-law-attorneys/durable-power-attorney/

The acceptance by the person(s) acting on behalf could be done before a notary in the US in whatever state he/she/they are located.

Edited by placnx
typo

Although using an agent will, I feel, make sense, I would suggest planning to increase the money in the bank to 800k and using the much simpler retirement extension in the future. This will reduce agent fees.

Bear in mind that the conditions for both marriage extensions and retirement extensions can, and will, change over time. That is the most difficult factor to consider when planning for the future. The most likely changes are increased financial proof and required health insurance. I understand that it is desirable to avoid shady practices by agents to get extensions, but would advise you to be prepared to resort to this as a last resort if onerous changes in requirements come into force down the road.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, D2Pipes said:

Before I took on the 90 day / annual visa task myself I used Assist and I highly recommend them.
I know Farangs that use Assist to sort out the nightmare of a Farang work related visa and they also recomend.

I hope this helps ????

None of the "issues" with Immigration requires the need to use some parasitic agent.   Those being too lazy to learn the system or who couldn't care about the charges will opt to use some agent.  It's not rocket science folks.

22 years doing the little effort needed with never any thought to use some agent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, fredge45 said:

None of the "issues" with Immigration requires the need to use some parasitic agent.   Those being too lazy to learn the system or who couldn't care about the charges will opt to use some agent.  It's not rocket science folks.

22 years doing the little effort needed with never any thought to use some agent.

Loan me 800k and teach me then! ????

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Tip: it's always a good idea to read the OP.

He clearly asked about using an agent in the event of change of circumstances. He used the example of a stroke. 

Thanks.  Like RTFM, in this case RTFO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

It's hairy chest syndrome. They like to think they are superior to others in their abilities and that those others are stupid or lazy. Others from the same family insist that changing the oil in your car yourself is much cheaper and better than taking it to a garage, god forbid anyone should ever think of taking it to a dealership! They also like to buy Archa and drink it on the steps of the 7/11, why anyone goes to a bar and pays those prices escapes me, they say. The list is a long one.

Right on.Truth is most want to go there too but aint got the ticker! 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:57 AM, chuang said:

Why are certain people so against others using an agent..Its their money why are you upset....if you want to walk to your destination fine but if others want a chauffeur so be it.    ????????????

Stop making sense!

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2023 at 1:00 AM, fredge45 said:

The Farang  I was referring to has his own Thai registered company employing Thais.
I can assure you a work visa for a Farang employing Thais is NOT a straightforward matter as you are implying.
BTW: I have done my own visa and 90 day report for years.