Thailand Listed No. 4 Among Most Affordable Destinations

webfact

Just now, nigelforbes said:

The outcome is exactly the same regarding the price of petrol relative to home currency, regardless of whether CAD or GBP is used, do the math. If you want to beat me up for having misread the post and used GBP instead of CAD, be childish and go for it, it doesn't change the outcome of the example however.

Don't forget to look over your shoulder as you back-pedal!????

No judgement here, but I just saw a post on FB. The OP paid 7,420 THB for his wagyu tomahawk steak, and a total bill of a few THB under 16,000 THB, for two, I think, people, in Pattaya. I think that is expensive, but some obvioulsy do not. It's a restaurant that I have eaten in, a few years ago, but cannot afford to do so any more at those prices.

When I saw the prices, I thought "Finally, real prices not the expat working for western corporation expenses cost of living junk". Ah, but then we get the "Aussie beef costs more than my daughter's wedding", same for wine. You're in a different country, what you pine for (rather than enjoying Thai food) is like a 7 year old crying for Maypo.

Have you priced Thai food back in your home country? Very east to get great pad Thai hear for 40-50 baht. In US can easily run $15 (about 500 baht).

I've stayed a plenty of great little hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya in 500 baht range: clean, comfortable, air con. And price often included breakfast.

Prices aren't always higher in big cities. People (well, expats) remarked how cheap Jomtien was. I thought the opposite, having moved from Phra Kanong in Bangkok. And quality much lower....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Blumpie said:

All the money in the world will put you in the same place we're all going to.  

More money let’s you have nice things and the ability to do anything until we end up in the same place.

pick your best life…….  I bought a private jet to avoid busy planes….what a connivence and it allows me to live a better life.  Private chefs, private swimming pool…

do you not get it?   Lol 

Stay away from the high tourist destinations and it is very cheap to live here.

For 6 months a year i work from hotels in the UK/Europe and what i get for £25/30 a night in Thailand would cost £100-150 a night in the UK.

A lovely Thai meal and a pint will be less than £5 here, at least £15 in the UK.

My home in Thailand including all bills £2,300 year, £9,000 in the UK.

For me, it's very cheap in Thailand.

Now, if only i could find a cheap place to play golf ????

9 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Just back from Laem Sing.  Fairly decent rooms with air con and breakfast started at $41.

Vacation almost over.  Have reservations in Chonburi for a "superior" room at $41 for 2 nights.  Convenient for our friend who lives close by who will be dropping us off at Suvarnabhumi in the wee hours of the morning.

No doubt about it. Thailand is cheaper than allot of countries. Of course you cannot breathe this time of the year and if you live there your life expectancy is cut by 5-10 years as you age. So go figure.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

No doubt about it. Thailand is cheaper than allot of countries. Of course you cannot breathe this time of the year and if you live there your life expectancy is cut by 5-10 years as you age. So go figure.

my neighbor george in sri chiang mai checked out early with breathing problems, we believe it was covid ,he was active and sprightly before

36 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Vacation almost over.  Have reservations in Chonburi for a "superior" room at $41 for 2 nights.  Convenient for our friend who lives close by who will be dropping us off at Suvarnabhumi in the wee hours of the morning.

Just curious? Why would u stay in Chonburi..nothing there for a farang...

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Just curious? Why would u stay in Chonburi..nothing there for a farang...

My girlfriend, who is Thai, has relatives in Si Racha.  And her friend of many years lives in Chonburi and will be taking us to Suvarnabhumi which is about an hours drive.  Not much traffic at 3 in the morning.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian said:

The price I recently paid for two round trips from Hawaii to Thailand is about what I paid right before Covid hit 3 years ago.

Price I just to UK and back double the price from 3 years ago

19 minutes ago, proton said:

Price I just to UK and back double the price from 3 years ago

I checked Bangkok/Heathrow yesterday, just out of curiosity. 32,000 baht return for travel in June, not much above what I might have paid via Etihad pre covid.

momondo.com

5 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I checked Bangkok/Heathrow yesterday, just out of curiosity. 32,000 baht return for travel in June, not much above what I might have paid via Etihad pre covid.

momondo.com

what airline? 45k on Emirates in August

18 minutes ago, proton said:

what airline? 45k on Emirates in August

When I have compared prices, travel aggregators offered much better prices than dealing directly with an airline website.  JAL wanted almost double for exactly the same itinerary as Priceline.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:47 AM, nigelforbes said:

I love it when posters convert the price of a liter of petrol to Pounds and say it costs the same here as in the UK. Well yes, if you do a straight conversion it is, except the average wage here is 15,000 baht a month but the average wage in the UK isn't 15,000 Pounds per month so not exactly apples and apples!

I didn't convert petrol to pound I said to Canada petrol is the same and coma groceries are cheaper in the UK

On 3/13/2023 at 6:05 AM, 2baht said:
On 3/13/2023 at 3:41 AM, webfact said:

It also said Thailand is known for tropical beaches, jungle temples, Buddhist statues and delicious food offerings at restaurants and street markets.

There's something else Thailand is famous for, now what is that? ????

Completely ridiculous numbers ?  Coups ? Give me time I'll come up with a 3rd. OK, committees.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:47 AM, nigelforbes said:

I love it when posters convert the price of a liter of petrol to Pounds and say it costs the same here as in the UK. Well yes, if you do a straight conversion it is, except the average wage here is 15,000 baht a month but the average wage in the UK isn't 15,000 Pounds per month so not exactly apples and apples!

My income is the same here as it is in the UK.

I don't really care what other people get!

12 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

No it is not, stop it! Relative to income it is not cheaper.

Whose income....?

I suspect it is as I often thought it expensive here in Thailand....it is about 1GBP/litre in UK. 

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Whose income....?

I suspect it is as I often thought it expensive here in Thailand....it is about 1GBP/litre in UK. 

My math is off this morning, I'm wrong, sorry, I got my decimal point in the wrong place, it's 0.02 vs 0.64.

Edited by nigelforbes
add average salary link thailand

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

The average monthly wage in Thailand is 15,000 baht per month, in the UK the average monthly wage is 2,167 Pounds per month. Milk in the UK is 49 pence per litre, in Thailand it costs 97 baht per litre. As a percentage of monthly income, milk equals 0.02% in the UK, ,in Thailand it is 0.006%, ergo, milk is cheaper in Thailand.

Using average monthly wage percentage to fudge the figures is a nonsense...what an item costs, is a specified sum of money. I am not asked what my monthly wage is when I buy anything from the shops. I only get a UK state pension, which is the same wherever I am.  You could also start basing it upon how much disposable income people have!

(No graphs please, I am getting old and how many year do I have left!)

Edited by jacko45k