Poll shows most oppose liberalisation of alcohol, e-cigarettes, cannabis and gambling

snoop1130

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Bet he’s not getting brown envelopes from the fag makers. Why even bother asking for his lopsided opinion, or any in this fudged poll for that matter? Ask a teetotaller should alcohol be banned, blah blah. 

The same could be said for those who drink alcohol though. 

I'm not teetotal although I rarely drink.

It seems sensible to get rid of the restricted hours as they aren't observed by the small shops anyway. The same is true for no alcohol Buddhist holidays. We got rid of similar hours in the UK,  which I think were a hangover, sorry for the pun, from the First World War. The only problem is that the drinking culture is different in some countries. In much of Western Europe sensible drinking is a way of life which it isn't in the UK. There was an experiment done a while back where 2 groups of people in the UK were given what they thought was alcohol. Half had alcohol and half didn't. Both groups displayed the effects of alcohol consumption suggesting that being and acting drunk are as much down to what you want as it is due to alcohol. 

With cannabis, if I was forced to choose I'd say don't legalise it,  apart from medical use, but as I don't use it for recreation it doesn't matter to me either way. 

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

The statistic would mean more if they also gave the percentage that didn't respond at all.

Actually the statistics don't mean anything at all cos all these polls are only made public once they are tabulated and over with. 

If these polls were fair, people would be allowed to vote even after the fact, and this might get some of those who ate pro liberalisation but are too lazy to participate to actually become pro-active. 

In the end, I never trust ANY poll results.

Ask a Thai person their opinion on any given day, and they'll tell you what they want you to hear.

Observe a Thai person for a day, and you'll see them smoking, gambling, drinking and paying for sexual services (men & women). Possibly at the same time.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

You should check your own exhaust gasket first,    There are nowhere near enough teetotal anti alcohol zealots in Thailand to produce those sort of results in any sort of a truly representative poll.   A child would realise that, even a Thai child

And why would these religious people be opposed  to the sale of alcohol on religious days, yet evidently be perfectly ok with alcohol being consumed on the same days , as consumption is not illegal 

You appear not to know much about Thailand....18% are muslim,  Rural areas are often more conservative too, Nobody mentioned teetotal but you.. Apparently about half think alcohol is available enough NOW... You should stop talking to children and bar stool afficionados. There is the result of a survey there, you only have whatever is coming from your mouth. Are you too incapacitated to buy some beers the day before  a religious holiday?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in having to fit my shopping hours around this stupid law if I need to re-stock my beer supply.

Absolutely not... I do my shopping mid morning and it irritates me I have to either come back later, or go to a distributor to get a few beers in. But other than that I have no need to see liberalization of when alcohol can be purchased.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Don't know about that and find it unlikely. You are just blowing hot exhaust gasses.. There are many religious people in  the public of Thailand who assuredly would oppose the selling of alcohol on religious days, as well as less religious types who would have reservations about it being sold all night long.  I do find the silliness of alcohol sale restrictions  in the mornings and mid afternoon as overkill. Some people do their shopping about then! 

in Arizona USA they will not sell alcohol before noon on Sunday meeting days.

31 minutes ago, malibukid said:

in Arizona USA they will not sell alcohol before noon on Sunday meeting days.

I am well aware of the complexities of alcohol restrictions in the USA....Arizona too. 

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Just change the supplier, it doesn't have to come from Big C or 7/11, plenty of shops with more convenient licensing hours

Yeah, but not with Leo Strong Brew!!! Almost all Mama Papa Stores say: "Sorry, no have!!!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Yeah, but not with Leo Strong Brew!!! Almost all Mama Papa Stores say: "Sorry, no have!!!"

Isn't it about 5.1% this #8 stuff, as opposed to the regular Leo at 5.0%...?  Better watch out!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Bet he’s not getting brown envelopes from the fag makers. Why even bother asking for his lopsided opinion, or any in this fudged poll for that matter? Ask a teetotaller should alcohol be banned, blah blah. 

I am a teetotaller, but I do not think alcohol should be banned as long as it is used sensibly, though I would come down hard on those who are found to be drunk and incapable in public.

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Isn't it about 5.1% this #8 stuff, as opposed to the regular Leo at 5.0%...?  Better watch out!

I'm not buying it because it is STRONG!!! I'm drinking normal Leo beer now over 14 years but the taste changend so bad that I not liked it anymore. Then Leo Strong came out and I tried it. Leo Strong has a much more better taste & I love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

It wasn't that long ago that Chang was 6.4% which made up for the Ice dilution factor, tasted marginally better too, come to Thailand, one of the few countries that has managed to make bad beer worse 555

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You appear not to know much about Thailand....18% are muslim,  Rural areas are often more conservative too, Nobody mentioned teetotal but you.. Apparently about half think alcohol is available enough NOW... You should stop talking to children and bar stool afficionados. There is the result of a survey there, you only have whatever is coming from your mouth. Are you too incapacitated to buy some beers the day before  a religious holiday?

i always wondered what sort of people actually believe these surveys, I had an idea what they must be like   and now you have confirmed it 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I am a teetotaller, but I do not think alcohol should be banned as long as it is used sensibly, though I would come down hard on those who are found to be drunk and incapable in public.

I would check before "coming down hard" on anybody if I were you   I don't think there is such an offence as "drunk and incapable in public"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snowgard said:

That's probably because nobody has asked for it before, If you asked them nicely they would probably stock some for you, that's kind of how small shops work

just curious, but why do some people refer to these shops as "mom & pop stores " is that an "Americanism"

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

As the anti-woke rightwing GOP claim, when US polls showed support for the woke agenda.......the people doing the polls are just asking the wrong people......maybe that is what has happened here?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being right-wing , and anybody supporting the "woke agenda" Is by definition a wrong person,   That is exactly what has happened here.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I would check before "coming down hard" on anybody if I were you   I don't think there is such an offence as "drunk and incapable in public"

If there is not then there should be.

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

i always wondered what sort of people actually believe these surveys, I had an idea what they must be like   and now you have confirmed it 

Where did I say I believed this one? It really tells us little apart from maybe about 50% of some selected groups, don't agree with what politicians want to push. I find that more interesting and wonder how many brown envelopes they have accepted to do so. 

Thread isn't about me!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where did I say I believed this one? It really tells us little apart from maybe about 50% of some selected groups, don't agree with what politicians want to push. I find that more interesting and wonder how many brown envelopes they have accepted to do so. 

Thread isn't about me!

Don't try and deny it now , its  obvious that you believe it   In a previous reply to me you actually said ....

"There is the result of a survey there, you only have whatever is coming from your mouth."

Even what you have written above indicates that you have some sort of belief in it   "it tells us little apart from..."

It tells us absolutely  nothing at all about attitudes to alcohol,    It does however demonstrate quite clearly how some organizations think the general population are more inclined to believe their <deleted> when  its dressed up as the results of a survey,   You have proved, disturbingly , that they are at least in part correct 

I didn't think after the whole Covid debacle that there was anybody left who believed anything these kind of organizations or governments tell us

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

That's another matter, as is the question  Incapable of what ?  

In public, after a drink, people can be a bit tipsy, for your benefit, I'll explain, that means walking properly, not bothering anyone, and not stepping out on the road without looking etc, no problem with that.

Incapable, drunk to such a stage that he is staggering, bumping into people, shouting insults at them, not looking before crossing the road etc.

If you want me to explain the "etc's" I won't bother. Is that plain enough for you?

Not that it matters but in my opinion results of polls like this are worthless without publishing the questions which were used.

And these sorts of stories should not be published without some link to those questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Not that it matters but in my opinion results of polls like this are worthless without publishing the questions which were used.

And these sorts of stories should not be published without some link to those questions.

I am inclined to agree...... one has to parse with great detail what was asked exactly and know the demographics and exact situation of those asked, and the numbers. Many polls seem to be initiated with a result already in mind. Even then, the results are mostly disputed if they do not match the opinions and wishes of those reading them.. as we see here. 

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

In public, after a drink, people can be a bit tipsy, for your benefit, I'll explain, that means walking properly, not bothering anyone, and not stepping out on the road without looking etc, no problem with that.

Incapable, drunk to such a stage that he is staggering, bumping into people, shouting insults at them, not looking before crossing the road etc.

If you want me to explain the "etc's" I won't bother. Is that plain enough for you?

I'll be plain for you and too hopefully you will be able to understand,   The offence to which you are referring has been in the statute book of the Uk for probably more than 200 years,   The actual offence  that you seem bizarrely to have no knowledge of  is        "drunk and disorderly"        Now   I wrote that very slowly because I genuinely doubt that you can read very quickly   I am reasonably certain a similar law exists in Thailand already

The term  "drunk and incapable"  was a term often used jokingly in 1970's  british comedy productions when a mans virility may have been impaired by alcohol on his wedding night for example

And your examples of the degree of "incapability" as you put it don't cut it either  there really is not that much difference between stepping into the road without looking and crossing the road without looking

However you are bothering me so maybe you are still drunk and incapable from last night, or did you start (very) early today?

Hope that was clear enough

• Sad 2

On 3/15/2023 at 6:50 AM, jacko45k said:

Don't know about that and find it unlikely. You are just blowing hot exhaust gasses.. There are many religious people in  the public of Thailand who assuredly would oppose the selling of alcohol on religious days, as well as less religious types who would have reservations about it being sold all night long.  I do find the silliness of alcohol sale restrictions  in the mornings and mid afternoon as overkill. Some people do their shopping about then! 

Where I live it's 15-20 minutes to the nearest city.  So when I visited the nearest supermarket I used to buy my beer then. When Taksin was in power I used to buy more than one box of beer anytime to work around the law. Then the "peacemakers" moved in and muscled into everything with MP's being made ministers with absolutely no experience in that department. Hence Thailand is nowhere near the place it was when I married and moved here 20 years ago. By the way I have 4 brother inlaws all farmers living outside of Korat, all were going ok until the military moved in now they are living in sub 3rd world conditions.