Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

Having got heartily sick and fed up to the teeth with having to wait around 15 minutes for my laptop to boot up following the installation of each and every Windows 10 update requiring a complete restart, I have finally taken the plunge and migrated to Windows 11. It appears to be a considerable improvement over its predecessor in that regard in my case: for example the rebooting process following the installation of the 2023-05 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based systems (KB5026446) only took 2 minutes and 40 seconds in the case of my laptop, when compared to MS's estimate of 4 minutes!

So definitely a case of goodbye and good riddance to Windows 10 as far as I am concerned, I think!

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Having got heartily sick and fed up to the teeth with having to wait around 15 minutes for my laptop to boot up following the installation of each and every Windows 10 update requiring a complete restart, I have finally taken the plunge and migrated to Windows 11. It appears to be a considerable improvement over its predecessor in that regard in my case: for example the rebooting process following the installation of the 2023-05 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based systems (KB5026446) only took 2 minutes and 40 seconds in the case of my laptop, when compared to MS's estimate of 4 minutes!

So definitely a case of goodbye and good riddance to Windows 10 as far as I am concerned, I think!

My windows 10 boots in 22 seconds, I do have Driver Booster 10, and use ccleaner

On 5/30/2023 at 7:09 AM, OJAS said:

Both my linux machine and apple mac boot in less than 10 seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re: my last append to this topic.

I did finish my i9-13900 rig and currently running with Windows 10. If you replace the motherboard, your Windows activation automatically expires. I don't know how I did it, but managed to transfer my Windows activation with Microsoft phone support. All well there. However, the are a few snags!

First is the Intel processor, I do a lot on video encoding, and that i9 hits 100 deg within seconds resulting in thermal throttling. I understand that is the same issue with i7-13700. It's basically the same die as i9 but with 8 E-cores disabled.  I can remedy the temperature runaway slightly by reducing the processor VCORE by -105mV.

The other issue is that the encoders I use (x265, AV1) will only use the E-cores. I have 18 of them running at 4200 MHz, but my last processor had 6/12 C/T clocked at 4300 MHz and was about the same performance, and that was Gen 5 with DDR4 memory. The story has it that Windows 10 doesn't know how to distribute the workload on the new Intel processors, but Windows 11 supposed to be the dogs <deleted> in this area.

So, my plan is to image my current drive and upgrade to Windows 11, we'll see how it goes. If I don't like it much in daily use can always restore the Win 10 image.

Why did that stupid filter just delete "b o l l o c k s"? It's in the Cambridge Dictionary <deleted>!.

Edited by SpaceKadet
Angry
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boy have I installed Windows 11!  Three times in the last four days, with four lengthy chat sessions with Microsoft tech support and many wasted hours.  I still have a rogue snipping tool app that makes my primary computer close to unusable.  I'm operating now on a very old backup computer, and have another session with tech support.

Don't install it unless you have to.

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Boy have I installed Windows 11!  Three times in the last four days, with four lengthy chat sessions with Microsoft tech support and many wasted hours.  I still have a rogue snipping tool app that makes my primary computer close to unusable.  I'm operating now on a very old backup computer, and have another session with tech support.

Don't install it unless you have to.

Unless you have a need for Windows only apps, I strongly recommend just going to linux, especially Ubuntu. No viruses and no rogue apps.

Edited by ozimoron

43 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Unless you have a need for Windows only apps, I strongly recommend just going to linux, especially Ubuntu. No viruses and no rogue apps.

I haven't looked into Linux since the early '90's, so I have some very basic questions that need to be answered.

Is it still text or does it have a GUI?

Will it run Microsoft programs such as MS Office?

How easy is it to install web browsers, video editing s/w, a VPN, security software, etc.

Perhaps I should just ask for a good source to educate myself on these subjects.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I haven't looked into Linux since the early '90's, so I have some very basic questions that need to be answered.

How easy is it to install web browsers, video editing s/w, a VPN, security software, etc.

Perhaps I should just ask for a good source to educate myself on these subjects.

Free free to ask.

It has had a GUI for a long time. I have used it for 13 years as my primary OS.

You can use Libre Office which is file and function compatible with MS Office and is free. The better alternative is to use Google docs and sheets. My company mandates it.

Firefox comes preinstalled. You can install any web browser including MS whatever they call it this month.

Video editing software you'd need to research as I don't do any. Adobe don't produce linux versions afaik.

VPN's are supported.

Security software is not needed. The permission structure in linux blocks self installation of any app without password. Remote login is easy but you need to provide permissions so not a risk. There has never been a linux virus in the wild, only proof of concept. Stuff like ransomware doesn't happen in linux. Like anything, always use strong passwords, no reuse and 2FA where possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Its had a GUI for many years now, as easy to follow on Windows.

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Yes, but only with an enabling application like 'Wine' installed, and the Windows programs may not run as smooth or at all.

21 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Easy with many apps coming with the system for free or downloadable free.

That said I dumped my Linux PC (the hardware was 10 years old) for a newer machine and it runs Win11 and overall I find Win11 more user friendly and suited to my background of using Windows based apps for many years.

44 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Its had a GUI for many years now, as easy to follow on Windows.

Yes, but only with an enabling application like 'Wine' installed, and the Windows programs may not run as smooth or at all.

Easy with many apps coming with the system for free or downloadable free.

That said I dumped my Linux PC (the hardware was 10 years old) for a newer machine and it runs Win11 and overall I find Win11 more user friendly and suited to my background of using Windows based apps for many years.

The better way to run Windows programs is to use a VM and install Windows in it.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Free free to ask.

It has had a GUI for a long time. I have used it for 13 years as my primary OS.

You can use Libre Office which is file and function compatible with MS Office and is free. The better alternative is to use Google docs and sheets. My company mandates it.

Firefox comes preinstalled. You can install any web browser including MS whatever they call it this month.

Video editing software you'd need to research as I don't do any. Adobe don't produce linux versions afaik.

VPN's are supported.

Security software is not needed. The permission structure in linux blocks self installation of any app without password. Remote login is easy but you need to provide permissions so not a risk. There has never been a linux virus in the wild, only proof of concept. Stuff like ransomware doesn't happen in linux. Like anything, always use strong passwords, no reuse and 2FA where possible.

Thanks.  i will look into it.  If Microsoft can't resolve my Windows 11 issue, which essentially makes my primary computer unusable, I will have nothing to lose by trying Linux.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Thanks.  i will look into it.  If Microsoft can't resolve my Windows 11 issue, which essentially makes my primary computer unusable, I will have nothing to lose by trying Linux.

In my opinion a lot to gain. Consider a mac mini for your next purchase. Only 21,000 baht now.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Most people just run browsers and applications. Linux just works. Do you actually use linux on a regular basis?

Yes and you are correct in saying that "Linux just works".  (my emphasis on just!)

IMO it is the biggest load of overhyped rubbish in the computer environment!  

Edited by scottiejohn

The better way to run Windows programs is to use a VM and install Windows in it.

The best way to run window$ is not at all.

Try out linux from a USB stick without destroying your windows environment. For someone not familiar with linux, try some ubuntu derivative like linux mint. Download a live cd version, use the appropriate software to load it to the stick and boot from it. You'll be amazed with what it can do. It won't come with MS office, etc but you'll have open office, etc which work just as well if not better than the M$ stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Yes and you are correct in saying that "Linux just works".  (my emphasis on just!)

IMO it is the biggest load of overhyped rubbish in the computer environment! 

Why do 97% of cloud servers use linux?

I own all three operating systems discussed here and support all of them professionally as well as cloud server config and support. I am also an app developer with 40 years experience in pascal, ruby, golang, dart/flutter and swift as well as database dba in MySQL and postgresql plus docker, puppet and kubernetes. Not blowing my own horn here, just supporting my opinion. 

Edited by ozimoron

29 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I own all three operating systems discussed here and support all of them professionally

Industrial computer usage and personal computer usage are two totally different things!

You may call them operating systems but their core functionality and usage are totally different!

A home user is not the same as an industrial server user!

Edited by scottiejohn

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Industrial computer usage and personal computer usage are two totally different things!

You may call them operating systems but their core functionality and usage are totally different!

A home user is not the same as an industrial server user!

Linux is great for either. Ubuntu has separate distributions for both, the main difference being the inclusion of the desktop for home or office use.

!!!!!!!

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why do 97% of cloud servers use linux?

I own all three operating systems discussed here and support all of them professionally as well as cloud server config and support. I am also an app developer with 40 years experience in pascal, ruby, golang, dart/flutter and swift as well as database dba in MySQL and postgresql plus docker, puppet and kubernetes. Not blowing my own horn here, just supporting my opinion. 

No Fortran?

Most people just run browsers and applications. Linux just works. Do you actually use linux on a regular basis?

Firefox, MS Office, an old but good enough video editing program I use on rare occasions, a VPN...

I think that's about it for me.  I'm not a gamer, hacker, or any other past-time/occupation that demands a lot from my laptop.

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I have Win 11 on a number of machines.  I have no problems and am using one to type this.

I "upgraded" Windows 10 to Windows 11, then reloaded twice as directed by MS tech support, and now have an appointment with MS "level 2" support, whatever that is.

Windows 11 does not work on my 3 year old Dell.  I'm losing faith in ever getting it to work.  I have nothing to lose but time and effort in learning a new OS, and I've already lost a good chunk of time and effort trying to get 11 to work.

27 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Firefox, MS Office, an old but good enough video editing program I use on rare occasions, a VPN...

I think that's about it for me.  I'm not a gamer, hacker, or any other past-time/occupation that demands a lot from my laptop.

Replace MS Office with Google docs / sheets or Open Office / Libre Office and you're good to go.

https://itsfoss.com/best-video-editing-software-linux/

https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/free-linux-video-editor.html

Edited by ozimoron

43 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I "upgraded" Windows 10 to Windows 11, then reloaded twice as directed by MS tech support, and now have an appointment with MS "level 2" support, whatever that is.

Windows 11 does not work on my 3 year old Dell.  I'm losing faith in ever getting it to work.  I have nothing to lose but time and effort in learning a new OS, and I've already lost a good chunk of time and effort trying to get 11 to work.

I would try a new install using a win 11 pro iso which you can download. Have it totally reformat your drive. Don't forget to back up your files first. I assume the problem is not secure boot, it looks like you got past that.

Level 2 support is an actual tech, not just somebody reading off scripted questions. They're likely to have you install a logging (prob screen capture app) and send the results off to them. Nightmare.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Edited by ozimoron

20 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Then why not stay on ten till you find out the problem!

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Then why not stay on ten till you find out the problem!

According to the techs, once you go to 11 you can't go back to 10.  I don't know if that's true, they also told me that reloading 11 would fix the snipping tool problem, both times.

Also, I had a problem with 10 slowing to a crawl, and reloading 10 didn't solve the problem.  The 11 problem is completely different from the 10 problem, so I don't think the issue is hardware or something other than the OS's. 

BTW: I ran all the Windows and Dell troubleshooters, which told me I don't have a hardware problem.  I've also done two full system scans using BitDefender, so it's probably not a known malware issue.