Watch the moment a Russian jet hits a US drone over the Black Sea, in footage just released by US military

Social Media

Stupid move on the russan pilot imo could of got him killed and destroyed his aircraft I was also wondering how they could slow down enough to damage the prop without stalling now I know oh well stupid move imo it’s not going to stop intelligence gathering 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tug said:

Stupid move on the russan pilot imo could of got him killed and destroyed his aircraft 

Allied pilots over Britain did the same to V1's ( a drone of sorts). Who knows the Russians might have been practising for this. 

It sends a message to the Americans to stop poking them with a metaphorical stick.

26 minutes ago, Tug said:

I was also wondering how they could slow down enough to damage the prop without stalling 

Some Russian fighters are known to fly slow enough to do a cobra manoeuvre so uncontrolled stalling is not an issue. Although I do suspect the drone pilot slowed down as a method of defense. Now known not to work.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Russian ships at US drone crash site in Black Sea, US official says: 'They wasted no time'

Russian vessels have already arrived at the drone crash site in the Black Sea, a U.S. defense official tells Fox News. 

Almost immediately after the MQ-9 drone was clipped by a Su-27 fighter jet and downed into the water, Russia sent ships to search the debris field.

"They wasted no time," the defense official told Fox News. 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-ships-us-drone-crash-site-black-sea-us-official-says-they-wasted-no-time

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Allied pilots over Britain did the same to V1's ( a drone of sorts). Who knows the Russians might have been practising for this. 

It sends a message to the Americans to stop poking them with a metaphorical stick.

Some Russian fighters are known to fly slow enough to do a cobra manoeuvre so uncontrolled stalling is not an issue. Although I do suspect the drone pilot slowed down as a method of defense. Now known not to work.

Not a good comparison Imo the spits and buzz bombs could fly at the same speeds with extremely delicate maneuvers tip the buzz bomb throwing its guidance system out as far as the migs cobra maneuver I doubt if the mig in that configuration would have the precise control nessary to pull it off don’t know for sure never flown a mig anyway extremely reckless on the Russians part and straight up stupid 

The Russian Jet was clearly trying to bring the down the drown by drawing it in jet-fuel. It doesn't seem as though the jet ‘hit the drone’ as all the reports suggest (i.e. crashed into it). 

That said, this attempt to bring down the drone is the same as ‘shooting it down’...  it seems the Russians were trying in some way to bring down the drone while maintaining some sort of plausible deniability which seems odd because the behaviour and intention is obvious. 

If they are going to go this far, I wonder how long it will be before they simply start shooting down the drones.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Russian Jet was clearly trying to bring the down the drown by drawing it in jet-fuel. It doesn't seem as though the jet ‘hit the drone’ as all the reports suggest (i.e. crashed into it). 

That said, this attempt to bring down the drone is the same as ‘shooting it down’...  it seems the Russians were trying in some way to bring down the drone while maintaining some sort of plausible deniability which seems odd because the behaviour and intention is obvious. 

If they are going to go this far, I wonder how long it will be before they simply start shooting down the drones.

From the CNN article:

When the camera comes back online in the footage, the view is again pointed backward, and the propeller is shown damaged from the collision

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/16/politics/us-military-video-drone-russian-jet/index.html

52 minutes ago, placeholder said:

From the CNN article:

When the camera comes back online in the footage, the view is again pointed backward, and the propeller is shown damaged from the collision

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/16/politics/us-military-video-drone-russian-jet/index.html

Damaged from the collision or the impact with fluid at 400kmh... 

I suspect the Russians were hoping the fuel dump may ignite and down the drone and they could claim they were dumping fuel as a safety precaution and the drone flew through it... or some such rubbish that the public may believe or at least consider plausible.

With this behaviour (and drone footage) the Russians may has well have fired at the drone... its definitely an act of aggression whether the aircraft is manned or not. 

10 hours ago, placeholder said:

Any pilots here know why the Russian jet would discharge fuel as it closed in on the drone?

I'm not a pilot. I think it was a Russian Plan  to seize an American drone fairly intact, to send to Iran to be reverse engineered. That is why the Russians were so quickly on the downed drone.

I further suspect that the Russians learned recently that spy equipment falling into water is better to recover than spy equipment that crashes into land.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

Any pilots here know why the Russian jet would discharge fuel as it closed in on the drone?

Suspect it's trying to blind it's sensors and video camera filiming it's attack

• Thanks 1

Does anyone not think that RU already has all the info about reaper drones they could possibly need.  Retrieved from downed or simply crashed during Iraq, Afghan, Iran or other operation fields.  

Wanted to down it, so UA has less information about their ground and sea operations.  Retrieving would be nice, could always sell or give to one of their allies.

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

This article raises some questions to me

Why was it there?

Why it doesnt have an auto destruct?

Why was this video put in the media?

I think it is a weird situation.

Would think answers to those questions would all be quite obvious.  Why one would need to ask, is a bit telling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Would think answers to those questions would all be quite obvious.  Why one would need to ask, is a bit telling. 

If you think straight forward, maybe not. However im thinking out of the common box

and then situation could be different. I could tell you, my thoughts, but then have to send a private message. I put up the questions, to make people maybe think otherwise about this. 

As situations in this world not always seem to be what is.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Which was the point made.

If not ignorance, an attempt at humor ... hmm.   Hope so, as the former would be embarrassing.  PH does have a reading comprehension issue, I noticed from past discussions.

Almost on topic.  As suggested, surely RU knows all it needs about the Reaper.  Maybe just want intel from drone to show how the USA is waging the proxy war against them.

If RU wants a better drone, just buy from CH, as theirs are far superior.

15 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

As situations in this world not always seem to be what is.

But they are exactly what they seem to be, and play out exactly as I expect.   Sod so many others can't think for themselves and believe what they are told.

Past 3 yrs have proved that, along with basically every military conflict story they are fed, since  WWII.

Ignorance is Bliss ... great for the savvy investor.   

Think outside the box, and you get to retire 20 yrs earlier than most.  If not a LPOS, having too much fun, then maybe 30-40 yrs earlier than most ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 3

More lies by Russia exposed then.

"Russia denied its Su-27 fighter jet clipped the propeller of the drone, but the video appears to back up the American version of events.

It was in the Pentagon's interest to release this video - not least to verify its version of events." Russia's defence ministry said the drone crashed after a "sharp manoeuvre",

• Thumbs Up 1