Anyone had the Rezum procedure at Bkk/Pattaya Hospital?

giddyup

Just had my Ultrasound for enlarged prostate and results weren't great. A very enlarged prostate and also high PSA of 6.8, so doctor wants me to try Xatral and Prostagutt for a few weeks to see if that helps with emptying the bladder, but if not he suggested Rezum, but wouldn't commit to costs.

So if anyone has had the procedure at Bkk/Pattaya hospital, how much did it cost, was a hospital stay needed, was it done under anaesthetic and were the results positive?

• Like 1

PSA increases if your prostate is enlarged.  But it will also increase if you have early-stage prostate cancer.  Did your doctor suggest a prostate MRI scan to rule out tumour growths inside your prostate?

• Like 1

Agree rhat eith a PSA over 6, unless there is infection, workup for prostate cancer might be indicated. 

About 25% of PSA rkevatikns in ghe 4-1[ range are due to cancer.

Would help to know what prior PSA levels were.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Agree rhat eith a PSA over 6, unless there is infection, workup for prostate cancer might be indicated. 

About 25% of PSA rkevatikns in ghe 4-1[ range are due to cancer.

Would help to know what prior PSA levels were.

I think it has hovered around 6 for many years. All the results from blood and urine tests were good. No infection detected.

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

PSA increases if your prostate is enlarged.  But it will also increase if you have early-stage prostate cancer.  Did your doctor suggest a prostate MRI scan to rule out tumour growths inside your prostate?

No MRI suggested at this stage. I think the doctor wants to see if there's any improvement in urine flow with the medication. I'm nearly 81 so can't expect too many more years whatever the outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Not sure about Rezum but in Australia Turp (A transurethral resection of the prostate is a surgical procedure that involves cutting away a section of the prostate) is the most proffered method while in other countries HoLEP (Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate) is the way to go.

I've had Rezum in the United States about 8 years ago; it didn't work. I went to India about 5 years ago for a Holep procedure and it stopped 80% of getting up to Urinate. No ejaculation sperm though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

No MRI suggested at this stage. I think the doctor wants to see if there's any improvement in urine flow with the medication. I'm nearly 81 so can't expect too many more years whatever the outcome.

If you are just now starting medication then it is premature to think of Rezum.

If BPH is doing Rezum they must have just started so if it comes to that I would recommend going to BNH in Bangkok as they have more experience.

You can read one member's experience here  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Not sure about Rezum but in Australia Turp (A transurethral resection of the prostate is a surgical procedure that involves cutting away a section of the prostate) is the most proffered method while in other countries HoLEP (Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate) is the way to go.

I had a Turp done at the Epworth Hospital in Melbourne 12 years ago (or thereabouts) and it wasn't all plain sailing afterwards because I had to use a catheter for a lot longer than is normal, and I'm not sure if this actually affected my urinary system, because about six or seven years after that I had to have a bladder neck incision to enable me to pass urine better, but now my bladder has stopped working altogether and I am using a catheter on a daily basis – – not where I thought I would be at this particular point.

The holmium laser treatment on the prostate does exactly what the TURP (cutting) does, but does it via a laser.

Sorry to have veered off-topic ????

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you are just now starting medication then it is premature to think of Rezum.

If BPH is doing Rezum they must have just started so if it comes to that I would recommend going to BNH in Bangkok as they have more experience.

You can read one member's experience here  

Thanks. It was doctor Jimmy Kongcharoen that mentioned Rezum, this is only if I don't get any positive results from the meds.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'd Turp done in Adventist Hosp Penang about 11+ yrs ago, also cancer in bladder + assess in Prostate. 3 days hospital, no further problems, cost then about 7,500rm. PSA seems to hover around 4-5  to5. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

I had a Turp done at the Epworth Hospital in Melbourne 12 years ago (or thereabouts) and it wasn't all plain sailing afterwards because I had to use a catheter for a lot longer than is normal, and I'm not sure if this actually affected my urinary system, because about six or seven years after that I had to have a bladder neck incision to enable me to pass urine better, but now my bladder has stopped working altogether and I am using a catheter on a daily basis – – not where I thought I would be at this particular point.

The holmium laser treatment on the prostate does exactly what the TURP (cutting) does, but does it via a laser.

Sorry to have veered off-topic ????

Spoke to my urologist very recently he said that the TURP procedure has come a long way since

the way they used to do it in them in yester years with a lot less bleeding and a faster recovery with very minimal discomfort.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Just started taking Xatral, side effects are making me as weak as a kitten, can barely lift my arms over my head. Is this common?

Have you checked your blood pressure? And are you on any blood pressure lowering drugs? AS Xatral itself will lower BP so your symptoms could be due to hypotension.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Have you checked your blood pressure? And are you on any blood pressure lowering drugs? AS Xatral itself will lower BP so your symptoms could be due to hypotension.

Yes, I'm on Losartan and Cardeloc, and you're correct, my BP is 111/53. I did read that Xatral has a side effect of fatigue, so I assumed that was it. Do you suggest stopping the BP medication?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes, I'm on Losartan and Cardeloc, and you're correct, my BP is 111/53. I did read that Xatral has a side effect of fatigue, so I assumed that was it. Do you suggest stopping the BP medication?

Take your BP befiore you take the meds and do not take if, first thing in the morning, it is under 1118-120/70-80. In which case best to consult your doctor about medication adjustment.

Also, move slowly when f=getting up from lying or seated position.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Take your BP befiore you take the meds and do not take if, first thing in the morning, it is under 1118-120/70-80. In which case best to consult your doctor about medication adjustment.

Also, move slowly when f=getting up from lying or seated position.

Thanks Sheryl. Have no feelings of dizziness or light headedness at this stage. I normally take the BP meds after breakfast and the Xatral before sleep.

53 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thanks Sheryl. Have no feelings of dizziness or light headedness at this stage. I normally take the BP meds after breakfast and the Xatral before sleep.

If there is no lightheadness/ dizzibess, just extreme weakness then best I can suggest is to go back to the doctor and discuss with him whether there is an alternative drug that can be tried, perhaps at a lower dosage. He might also want to check some labs. 

• Thanks 1