Economy is in the tank, banks are reeling, inflation is sky-high and there's more Biden isn't telling you

Social Media

• 3 weeks later...

I was referring specifically to the US, and the US usually does well economically from war. The big arms manufacturers must be going gangbusters on this one.

Hasn't Biden been saying how well the US economy is doing, or is he wrong?

Edited by Pink Mist
Deleted post replied to has been removed

I am very worried about Thailand's banks. The deposit insurance is down to 1 million baht per person, per account, per bank. It is pitiful. After the last crash in 1997, deposit insurance covered your entire deposits to attract foreign investors. I am going to start to withdraw my deposits, transfer some back to my home countries, keep them in the safe deposit box at the bank or buy physical gold.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I am very worried about Thailand's banks. The deposit insurance is down to 1 million baht per person, per account, per bank. It is pitiful. After the last crash in 1997, deposit insurance covered your entire deposits to attract foreign investors. I am going to start to withdraw my deposits, transfer some back to my home countries, keep them in the safe deposit box at the bank or buy physical gold.

You answered your own point, the DPA protection was very high initially, because banks wanted to attract deposits, that job done the level of protection has been reduced to a more normal level. Today, less than 1.5% of all consumer bank accounts contain more than THB 1 mill, the current level of DPA insurance so why set the level any higher?

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=188&language=ENG

Thai banks are a much safer bet than their western counterparts, their balance sheets are much stronger, they have implemented Basel III liquidity rules and they don't engage in foreign currency lending the same way that western banks do. Somebody will be along shortly to point out that Thailand Consumer lending is higher than many other countries and if consumers begin to default on the 56% of loans that are unsecured, the banks will have problems. Chartchai covered this subject in his column this week (disappointingly), if 20% of consumer debt defaulted, banks would have to begin to raise capital. 20% is a HUGE amount, the current NPL rate is under 3% and special watch loans under 6%. Even in an extreme case scenario of 20%, BOT is well capitalized with one of the highest FCY Reserve levels of any similar sized economy.

By all means withdraw your money and put it in a safe deposit box back home but that will mean its value will be eroded by inflation plus you will pay exchange rate costs and loose out on any currency appreciation. Personally, my money is flowing West to East, not the other way around.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

It's not what Biden says, It's what economic indicators say. Strong GDP growth, low unemployment, inflation is high due to global context but decreasing (and lower than G7 average), energy production and exports have significantly increased, etc... not to mention a coherent industrial policy.

Wow, sounds just like 2016-19!  Except the inflation part.  And gas is $3.50 a gallon, not $2.50.  So maybe Biden is doing almost as well as Trump did.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1