Rooster Reports #3: Parents need to step up and demand an end to violence against their kids in Thai schools

webfact

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

It is illegal for teachers to hit students, however, kids can be as......sholes but so can teachers. Kids from the poor ones who haven't had much sleep to the rich spoilt one's who think their SDS to teachers who think they are just sooooooo good and they are the boss to the over stressed and under payed teachers.  It's a complex situation. It's education. It's education in Thailand. No students fails (which is not no child left behind; UNICEF) is a big problem but of course the whole problem is massive. Sociological. behavioual, drugs, a corrupt system, one could go on. 

p.s. the youtube vid should be linked and this should be an article.

Edited by dinsdale

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Who needs subtitles when you can hear what he's saying. 

I guess the point is why should we be forced to add to his YT views. Text some of it and link if anyone is interested and wants to continue. It's a forum after all. Not a youtube channel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

Cheers; as I get the hang of this I hope to make it something really worth watching that is both informative and entertaining. 

Regards,

Rooster

I agree with each single word you said...
Thanks a ton, Rooster...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Parents need to step up and take responsibility for their kids.

If teachers could let the family know that there is a problem and have parents that cared it would be a lot easier.

Of course but it's become ingrained in the Thai psyche that it's the teachers duty.

Many parents don't want to punish their kids because they are afraid their kids won't love tham if they do.

Further the parents are frightened that when they get old/very old their children won't take care of them / won't support them if they punish them when they are kids.

And unfortunately many parents still rely on their children's financial and other support when they are old. 

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Of course but it's become ingrained in the Thai psyche that it's the teachers duty.

Many parents don't want to punish their kids because they are afraid their kids won't love tham if they do.

Further the parents are frightened that when they get old/very old their children won't take care of them / won't support them if they punish them when they are kids.

And unfortunately many parents still rely on their children's financial and other support when they are old. 

Probably right.  I've seen so many mothers treat their SONS with a crazy amount of respect.  I also know a few 30 year old women still living with their parents.  Probably over 10, actually.  Maybe 10-years the worst violence against kids I saw was a female librarian against P1 to P6 students.  sickening.   Yup, I reported her to the police after I left the school, and the policeman went to the school and asked for their video recordings.  They didn't have any recordings, they said, and the policeman (a friend) told me he couldn't do anything more.   I shook my head and moved on....I joked about maybe interviewing the students.  No response.  Interviewing the teachers, nope.  Parents, nothing.   Yea, I gave up.

Edited by BananaStrong
  • Like 1

I dont think the teachers should be disciplining kids!They should approach the children with stern warnings !

If it continues then the parents have to be informed ! If continued the parents must be disciplined !

• Confused 1

The way the teachers are treated as someone special, I do not see anything changing in Thailand for a long wile yet. A few years ago I was in norther Thailand. A school was getting renovated.            

The teachers office and living quarters was finished, but the rest of the building was in tatters and the children were being taught outside. I did not see anyone working on getting the rest of the building finished, and when I asked the teacher said they were out of money even though his office had teak wood trim, and fancy furniture.  Oh well, It is Thailand. Cheers

Harvey

20 hours ago, markclover said:

Most Thai parents are either drinking or beating their kids.  Maybe if we dangle a large bottle over the school the child abuse will lessen.

Wow.

The ignorant have arrived.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Non English speakers....

So you think that non-English speakers will be able to read and understand the small subtitles scrolling quickly at the bottom of the screen. I doubt it.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So you think that non-English speakers will be able to read and understand the small subtitles scrolling quickly at the bottom of the screen. I doubt it.

Well it might be a help when they get hit by the slang bits and the words that are not actually in the Dictionary ? ... A Lot of people who have learnt English only really get it when talking with the People that taught them it ! Like people with the same accent !!! ( Thai's here up country, speak Thai with Different accents to those in Bangkok also and I still find the Bangkokians Easier to understand, as they speak is Clearer !)

I am Australian and plenty of people say that they cannot understand my accent. ... even though I Use as much British English as I can so as to be Understood as much as possible across the Board. 

And I get so many Squiggly Faces on this particular column that I wonder it is it a conspiracy !!! Just SOOO many People who cannot understand my Writing though it is Clear and correct ? Though just has bad Grammar and spelling though the spell checker gets most of that, … so well possibly a bit too much Innuendo slang I guess. d put the squiggly mouthed Emogo here if I could find it ???

Yes I do not Really want Sub Titles ? Just let it Roll !!! ... But there IS a point for having them if there was a LOT Learning English Speakers who would like to hear it but were taught by People with Different Accents .... Say American ! ? ...

( Well taking a chance here but when I was working out on the Boats Off Balikpapan Indonesian Kalimantan I had the Job on the Chase Boat translating the Scottish Captain from the Mother Boats just totally hard for anyone to understand Scottish Strine in to proper English and then Indonesian also ... Like the figures and course Instructions were easy in Indonesian also but well Not in Scottish Strine to those Good Fellows. ... Just as an Example ? Yes a radio with Sub Titles would have been a good Idea there ... though well getting the Scottish Capt. to use it !!! ??? )

3 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

The way the teachers are treated as someone special, I do not see anything changing in Thailand for a long wile yet. A few years ago I was in norther Thailand. A school was getting renovated.            

The teachers office and living quarters was finished, but the rest of the building was in tatters and the children were being taught outside. I did not see anyone working on getting the rest of the building finished, and when I asked the teacher said they were out of money even though his office had teak wood trim, and fancy furniture.  Oh well, It is Thailand. Cheers

Harvey

It Would Be the Same in Many Countries ! and NOT just here, ... Many Many !!! Countries.

14 hours ago, riclag said:

I dont think the teachers should be disciplining kids!They should approach the children with stern warnings !

If it continues then the parents have to be informed ! If continued the parents must be disciplined !

What good would that do if the Kids just took no notice of any One !!! Including their parents !!! ??? ... And taking a chance again, by saying ... A Huge problem in Australia now, with the bottom Whites and more Indigenous Kids there ... I Think ! ? ...

(Who basically get screwed which ever way it goes so are not really interested in cooperating with any one I think ???)

... And here things ARE becoming more "Western" also.

14 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Probably right.  I've seen so many mothers treat their SONS with a crazy amount of respect.  I also know a few 30 year old women still living with their parents.  Probably over 10, actually.  Maybe 10-years the worst violence against kids I saw was a female librarian against P1 to P6 students.  sickening.   Yup, I reported her to the police after I left the school, and the policeman went to the school and asked for their video recordings.  They didn't have any recordings, they said, and the policeman (a friend) told me he couldn't do anything more.   I shook my head and moved on....I joked about maybe interviewing the students.  No response.  Interviewing the teachers, nope.  Parents, nothing.   Yea, I gave up.

Yes here Female to Female Violence is worse, just watch the TV soap opps, and it is in our Family also ... the 10 Year old Girl hits the 5 year old boy a LOT and quite hard (Well as hard as she can on many ocasions !!!) ... as he is way WAY smarter than her !!! and can wined her up at the drop of a hat and at any time of the day !!!  It is because they are on the same social level as each other so conflicts CAN get quite out of Control. ... Like we Men are not even allowed to touch them in just about all situations, Society Socially wise.

Yes the Mothers are often Scares of their Sons you know ! Like they have TOLD me that !!! ... "You have to be careful with your sons as you never know what they might do" !!! .. Like Ya bah .. Alcohol, and well the stress of being a man in a woman’s society ??? (Well here up country any way) ... That can be Dangerous also, and I have seen it ... Like Like young men Loose Cannons !!! ??? ... 

Like the passive Problem for the mother "Molest a woman in a karaoke bar as they are male Angry !!! and then get Sued by her Parents and Lose your House paying the damages" ... I Have seen this happen !!! ... and some of them DO attack their own mothers also ...

Like the ones full out n Ya Ba would be the most Un reliable men on the face of the Earth I think.

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

You are right, but this is happening all over the World.

The other thing that is happening is kids charging their parents with child abuse.

Parents are too involved in their own world and their own problem s to take time to look at their kids.

I think 2 or 3 vids a week would be a better option for you and your viewers, Rooster. Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 3 maybe. You are making a rod for your own back - quality not quantity should be the watchword.

Try finding something fresh and original to say every day in another month.

Good luck either way.

• Thumbs Up 1