Is there a way to assure that email attachment could be opened in a safe manner

MikeWill

To clarify...in short:

Recently, my MX records were changed by someone. I noticed that a few days later, and changed it back to Google as it is my email service provider. I also changed my password to cPanel.

I do have an antivirus (Bitdefender), but I'm not 100% sure it can protect me. 

• 3 weeks later...

To be save, run your mail program (I use Thunderbird) in a virtual machine. If something goes wrong, you delete it and copy it back from your backup storage. Takes less than 3 minutes.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:09 PM, MikeWill said:

To clarify...in short:

Recently, my MX records were changed by someone. I noticed that a few days later, and changed it back to Google as it is my email service provider. I also changed my password to cPanel.

I do have an antivirus (Bitdefender), but I'm not 100% sure it can protect me. 

And do you have an app which will keep the font on your posts at the same, readable, size please?

We have a laptop...if there are doubts I copy the attachment on it, disconnect it from the network and open it there.
But first we look the email.....If the bank does not know my name it is most probably not my bank, if the attachment is not ending in .pdf and there is no very clear reason why not it will be deleted.

31 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

To be save, run your mail program (I use Thunderbird) in a virtual machine. If something goes wrong, you delete it and copy it back from your backup storage. Takes less than 3 minutes.

and the virtual machine can not access your main computer (you are not sharing your files with it)

Just now, JustAnotherHun said:

Correct. No "shared folders" between host and VM.

btw: .pdf-files are a risk aswell.

I would not open unknown .pdf on my office computer. And I saw attachments like filename.pdf.exe which on a quick look in Thunderbird could trick someone. But can do a .pdf opened in for example sumatrapdf do some harm? I think not but still would not risk it.

15 minutes ago, h90 said:

But can do a .pdf opened in for example sumatrapdf do some harm? I think not but still would not risk it.

I don't know sumatrapdf and never had a problem with .pdf. The risk should be quite low, but:

"A PDF is not an executable file, so it cannot infect your machine while sitting idle on your hard drive — the malware in a PDF needs to be interpreted and executed through PDF reader software. "

https://clario.co/blog/can-pdf-contain-virus/

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Use linux and don't worry about it.

yes because I would be unable to get it opened ????
(just had the problem that I could not connect a linux machine to connect to Wifi....because of some bug)

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I don't know sumatrapdf and never had a problem with .pdf. The risk should be quite low, but:

"A PDF is not an executable file, so it cannot infect your machine while sitting idle on your hard drive — the malware in a PDF needs to be interpreted and executed through PDF reader software. "

I see the bigger risk in having an email from your bank which looks OK and the statement.pdf.exe file name is not shown full or I am just too quick in clicking and open a file which isn't a pdf by mistake

33 minutes ago, h90 said:

.if there are doubts I copy the attachment on it, disconnect it from the network and open it there.

how will that stop the laptop from becoming infected or protect your environment when you reconnect?   

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/resources/can-pdfs-contain-viruses.html