Health Ministry Launches Campaign to Encourage Less Sugar Consumption

snoop1130

bc45fedd88ce543305a751e1fe2dac92_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A campaign by the Ministry of Public Health has been launched to encourage people in Thailand to consume less sugar in order to prevent health issues.

According to Tianchai Suwanpen, an advisor to the deputy public health minister, the ministry launched the campaign to encourage people to consume no more than 25 grams or six teaspoons of sugar per day. In addition to marketing and awareness campaigns, the ministry will also urge beverage makers to reduce the quantity of sugar in their sweet drinks per serving size, from 6% to 5%.

The campaign was launched in response to recent reports stating that from 2017-2019, Thai people, particularly those of working age, consumed an average of 25 tablespoons each day. Another report from the Department of Health (DOH) revealed that almost 10% of children in Thailand are clinically obese. The report has warned that this situation is expected to worsen if people fail to improve nutritional awareness and reduce sugar intake among young people.

The World Obesity Federation also forecasts that rates of childhood obesity are expected to double between 2020 and 2035.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230329122636800

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-03-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A campaign by the Ministry of Public Health has been launched to encourage people in Thailand to consume less sugar in order to prevent health issues.

Encourage, try enforcing the manufactures to delete it from products.

• Like 2

Almost 10% of children clinically obese! OMG, I wonder what the figure is in the UK and in the USA!

I was an unhappy boy at school from age 13 to 16 (like many more, I suspect!) and 'took refuge' in junk food and fizzy drinks.

I blew up to over 15 stone (maybe 96 kilos). I had to crash diet from 16 to 18 and was greatly helped by taking up yoga.

But it's been a curse that I've lived with all my life. For heaven's sake, parents everywhere, don't allow kids to get fat in these teenage years! Sugar is a 'killer' I'm 76 now and the fight never ends. I've been careless in my diet for the past two years and am now suffering with a fatty liver - so, I must diet again! Absolutely nil sugar! I've lost 6 kilos this year from 99 to 93 and more to come because I feel much better for it, although changing diet radically can be very tiring at first.

I hate to see kids sitting in the 'burger bars' - it brings back such painful memories. And beware of diabetes, to which Asians are prone.

Do I remember Malaysia introducing very strict laws about reducing sugar consumption?

campaign against sugar
while standing there holding sugary drinks......
25g is noting compared to what is in all processed food and drinks these days
"39 grams of sugar in a 12 oz Coca-Cola can"

3 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Thais consume 25 tablespoonfuls of sugar a day? That cannot be right - can it?

They calculate sugar added in processed foods and drinks
not literally spponfuls of sugar added before consuming
25 tablespoons is 375g

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

More weed less sugar render them incapable of eating I'm waiting for the health minister to say ????

just wait till they blame the weed for the obesity
claiming everyone is getting fat because they always have the munchies....????
about 5 seconds before a reporter points out the kids are fat too....
and the room goes silent...........

Two weeks ago I flew back to the UK for a consultant appointment, full bloods and all that.

I am quite fit and healthy, maybe couple KG over, but you would not think it to look at me. I eat a reasonable diet, 1 small chocky a day to make life worthwhile - 10 baht 7/11 so you can guess how much sugar is in it ¬!

My blood results came back that my blood had far too much sugar in it, twice what it should be. I told the hospital I could not understand what it could be.

Then I saw my wife cooking my rice and massaman and heaping sugar into it like she was trying to reduce a sugar mountain. I asked her about it and she said it was just normal. That stopped today.

46 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

If there were no outlet for the stuff, then the Manufacturers would be forced to change.

Close all 7/11 Sugar Mines

If the government and health bodies capped sugar levels in products made by the manufacturers the outlets and consumers could only buy what's available.

Cut it off at the source.

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Then I saw my wife cooking my rice and massaman and heaping sugar into it like she was trying to reduce a sugar mountain. I asked her about it and she said it was just normal. That stopped today.

What on earth were you dong in the kitchen... get out of there, not your place!

21 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

If the government and health bodies capped sugar levels in products made by the manufacturers the outlets and consumers could only buy what's available.

Cut it off at the source.

much better to educate people about the effects of sugar consumption,
companies will just add aspartame or other sweetners to make up for less sugar
these sweetners can also affect health
its like when you see "sugar free" but it is just loaded with sugar alcohol
which is apperently "safe" but also stated
"The safe recommended intake of sugar alcohol intake is 10-15 grams per day"-umms.org

As somebody has already said, "good luck with that " 

Whenever I order food I specify "no sugar please"  they invariably look at me like I am absolutely crazy, I've  even tried telling them I'm diabetic (I'm not) and they still give me that look. 

I do have a sweet tooth and enjoy a bar of chocolate  or an ice cream as much as anybody, but I am conscious of how much sugar is being almost forced upon us and try to avoid it when possible. I stopped adding it to tea and coffee years ago, things tasted a bit strange for a few days but I soon got used to it,    1 week later I found I could not stand the taste of either when sugar had been added

As far as I am aware there is no need to consume any sugar at all in ones diet , unlike salt for example which I believe is required in small amounts

In my opinion sugar is a nasty almost addictive substance that has been exploited by the food industry for probably 100+ years. I am convinced it is responsible for a host of health problems with rotten teeth and obesity being the least of ones worries, 

From what I have seen diabetes is a life changing and very unpleasant condition when diagnosed, and even worse , potentially ultimately fatal  when undiagnosed which is often the case

4 hours ago, patman30 said:

much better to educate people about the effects of sugar consumption,
companies will just add aspartame or other sweetners to make up for less sugar
these sweetners can also affect health
its like when you see "sugar free" but it is just loaded with sugar alcohol
which is apperently "safe" but also stated
"The safe recommended intake of sugar alcohol intake is 10-15 grams per day"-umms.org

Agreed with you, manufacturers are not trustworthy.

But educating the public is also not easy, watching my wifes brother put 3 spoons of sugar on his noodles and say it tastes great, washed down with Pepsi.

He wonders why he's 110 kg and has weak knees at age 35.

God knows what his insides are like.